Russian & Soviet Music

Started by Mark Thomas, Friday 17 June 2011, 03:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

Thanks fyrexia for the Davrionas recording. And welcome to UC.

eschiss1

I believe btw (though I know this composer has come up before, when a violin concerto of his was recorded recently and the CD was mentioned a couple of years ago, coupled with Korngold's) - the recording is from about 1961, and the composer's vitals are
Balys Dvarionas (June 1904 - August 23 1972, Lithuanian, Wikipedia-en.
(I think I've seen your channel on youtube, fyrexia. some very good stuff there. appreciated finally getting to hear Golubev's 2nd concerto :) )

jerfilm

Yes, welcome fyrexia.  I'm a subscriber to your YouTube channel.

Jerry

JimL

Thanks for reminding me of that violin concerto.  I recall wanting to pick it up.  Let me see if it's made its way onto CD Universe yet.

fyrexia

Its good to know i have subscribers from my youtube channel around here.
I am not sure if the Dvarionas Concerto no.1 has been made a modern recording.
I know he also wrote a second concerto. But i never came to know any recording/performance of it.
Been trying to search several years for the lp that has his piano cycles titled "Winter Sketches", maybe someone might have heard it before?
I have only the first piece of the cycle posted on my Youtube channel.

Tony

dafrieze

Thanks very much, fyrexia!  I'm also a subscriber to your YouTube site, and I've found it invaluable for discovering unsung composers.  Welcome!

eschiss1

Golubev- thanks much, have been interested in his music for years (including some as far as I know mostly unrecorded late string quartets the local university library has in score- some of them are recorded though I haven't heard them. Have heard so far only a couple of symphonies - 5 and 7-- some quartets via MIDI, a few other things... ). Is the recording of piano sonata no. 4 and concerto 3 - IIRC - no longer available on Melodiya? (I haven't heard it even so, but wanted to be careful with our understandable guidelines.)

fyrexia

Ilja

Those interested in Matchavariani should probably also check out this web site:

http://www.matchavariani.ge/alexi/rec.html

eschiss1

Golubev cello concerto - a recording of this with Rostropovich is mentioned on Svetlanov's website, so it -might- be conducted by him... not proof though.

fyrexia

I am pretty sure that this is the exact performance. Thank you so much for finding such information.
I do not think the concerto was performed more then once. At least doubtful for producing another recording.

Tony

eschiss1

speaking of Golubev, anyone ever run into a performance (not even necessarily recorded- just perhaps attended one) or recording of his trumpet sonata? Looks good, though it's not an instrument (either one- piano either) I play...
I do have a tape of a recording of his harp quintet op39 (which unlike I think anything else of his has been recorded more than once, if memory serves. May be nla, though. Not sure where my tape is, either, but I have an idea. May see about digitizing and uploading it if it's been NLA quite long enough...)

fyrexia

Please post one day your recording of the Harp Quintet Op.39. Seems an interesting work !
I have been vaguely searching for his instrumental sonatas. Only to find his piano sonata no.4, with nikolayeva on the piano. Released on a melodiya lp, later reissued to cd. He also has a violin sonata, i hope i can play it someday with a friend.

Tony

fyrexia

Actually, i just found out i had the Harp Quintet! As well as his Piano Quintet, some other minor piano works. Memory to lermontov op.18 and piano responses op.79. Also a concert aria for cello and harp.
Hope to post them soon.

Tony

eschiss1

Anything by Gleb Taranov? I know his 6th symphony (for strings, D minor) was on LP, maybe one or two other works, don't know if his 5th symphony (Bflat minor) ever hit the recording studios (or the concert hall, or the radio, or...)