Russian & Soviet Music

Started by Mark Thomas, Friday 17 June 2011, 03:21

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

After finally giving the Gubarenko S 1 a listen, I'm firmly convinced that the initial Moderato tempo in the 1st movement is just an introduction and the main body of the movement is some kind of Allegro.  Anybody have any further details?  I looked on every page in my search and failed to turn up any more useful information other than that there is a two-piano version somewhere.

eschiss1

hrm. there's a CD of Hubarenko (= Gubarenko)'s chamber symphony for violin and orchestra out, I see... (performed by Oleh Krysa - see discography. It does say not released, but some library may have it, or something. Seems to be a reissue of a 1974 LP actually... Saw it mentioned on Worldcat, which is - being stubborn this evening. Anyhow, offtopic. Will see if I can find out anything about Vitalij's first symphony...)

JimL

Much obliged, O grand Searchmeister!  :)

Mark Thomas

Very many thanks for the Cui uploads Mathias.

eschiss1

First: *blush*
Second: I can't even find the 2-piano version referred to- I see references to his later symphonies (e.g. 2nd symphony op.11, full score at- at Cornell apparently- interesting... ok, so if it were the 2nd symphony op.11 published in 1972, I'd just have to go "up the block"...)

kyjo

O Grand Searchmeister, you'll probably be at your 4,000th post tomorrow ;D ;D! You are truly our most "heroic" member (in terms number of posts, that is). And I am almost at my 100th post ;D! Not bad for a new member, eh ;)?

JimL

Laddie, when I was new I, too, posted like gangbusters.  After a while, though, you slow down.  But you're doing great, kid.  Damn the torpedoes and all that! ;D

Alan Howe

I was going to say something about quality being preferable to quantity. Oops, I've said it...

Mark Thomas

And there was me, a model of restraint, not saying that for the last four hours since I read that exchange...  ;D

Alan Howe

A post purloined, nay filched, pilfered, swiped, nicked, lifted and thieved!

semloh

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Wednesday 08 August 2012, 21:16
Very many thanks for the Cui uploads Mathias.
Hear, hear! I've never heard the 1st string quartet before and it's a lovely work. Although it may be unkind to call it "a poor man's Borodin 2nd" (finished a decade earlier), Cui must surely have had that work echoing through his mind? ;D

I am seduced by virtually anything written by 'The Five', and I had previously only listened to Cui's 2nd courtesy of Steve's BB, so this was much appreciated.  So, too, the overture. :)

I wonder if an uploadable 3rd SQ is hiding in someone's collection?  ;D

eschiss1

I don't know of recordings of Cui's first or third quartets, opp.45 or 91, though I thought I did...

kyjo

I'm probably annoying the heck out of you guys with my incessant posting ;D ;D! But, like Jim said, I'll probably slow down. And re the quality vs. quantity, it's hard to make both work at the same time ;)! UC is becoming an addiction, I must say!

Mark Thomas

I'm delighted that you're enjoying UC, Kyjo, but there really is something in the adage that "less is more".

Gijs vdM

As to Soviet Russian music, anyone wishing to share his views (or should I say 'hears'?) on Evgeny Golubev's music? I found some of his music, and what I heard sounded very interesting indeed! Especially the four string quartets I found (nos. 4, 10, 11 and 15) makes we wish to hear the other 20(!).
Now the Quatuor Danel has finished their very fine cycle of Mieczyslaw Weinberg's Quartets, perhaps they (and CPO) could do us the favor of turning to Golubev?

Al best,
Gijs