Russian & Soviet Music

Started by Mark Thomas, Friday 17 June 2011, 03:21

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

RED button?! :o  Figures!  It's green everywhere else but Russia!  OK, I'll try it again this afternoon.  I really want that Overture in F! 

TerraEpon

Quote from: JimL on Friday 06 July 2012, 14:33
RED button?! :o  Figures!  It's green everywhere else but Russia!  OK, I'll try it again this afternoon.  I really want that Overture in F! 

I;m guessing it's like other file sharing sites -- the green is for "premium" download and red is for "free" download.

eschiss1

Re Kosenko: mention of a recording on CD of his cello sonata in one of the other subfora (by user MikeW) made me do a quick- erm... something... but yes, the recording we have here is apparently not the same people. Interesting, didn't realize quite how many recordings of his music we have now- violin and piano concertos, that cello sonata, for instance. My computer is in HD pain again :) but once I've got some unneeded things deleted and less needed files burned to disc, looking forward to hearing those; the violin concerto intrigues for some reason.
(I don't see an LP mentioned of the violin concerto, but one of violin and piano pieces coupled with Lyatoshinski's violin sonata did exist. Intriguing.)
The one major work not for piano solo by Kosenko that I do see listed on LP besides his Heroic Overture that I can find fairly easily is his Classic (Piano) Trio.

JimL

Is there any movement information on the Kosenko PC?  I can't seem to find anything on it.

eschiss1

Trying to, though it was composed in 1928 and may be in copyright in the US if published properly so the score may not be available for free (there seem to be some sites selling it, or I should say duet reductions of it, though.)

jowcol

Taming of the Shrew (Ballet Suite) by Aleksandr(Alexey) Davidovich Machavariani (1984)

National Symphony Orchestra of Georgia
Vakhtang Matchavariani, Conductor
Private Recording of Live Performance
Date, Venue unknown.

From the collection of Karl Miller

This is a work by a Georgian composer-- it strikes me as somewhere between Katchaturian and Shostakovitch- some very dynamic rhythms, colorful, and predominately tonal.

Wikipedia Biography:

Aleksandr(Alexey) Davidovich Machavariani (Georgian: ალექსი მაჭავარიანი) (Gori 23 September 1913 – Tbilisi 30 December 1995 ) was a Georgian composer and conductor
Aleksi Machavariani was born in Gori. He graduated from the Tbilisi Conservatory in 1936 and remained there for a postgraduate study. Later he joined the faculty, becoming a professor in 1963. He began his artistic career in 1935.

Machavariani produced a number of critically acclaimed plays and ballets, including the ballet "Othello" (1957), the operas "Mat i Sin" (1945), "Den moei Rodini" (1954), the symphony "Piat monologov" (1971; it earned the Shota Rustaveli Prize). He also wrote the music to many theatrical productions, including "Baratashvili" and "Legenda o liubvi". His output includes among other works also a violin concerto (1950), 7 symphonies (1947–1992) and six string quartets (the last in 1993).[1]

He was the artistic director of the Georgian State Symphony Orchestra from 1956 till 1958 and directed the Composers' Union of Georgia from 1962 till 1968.[2]

Bio from his website :

The most eminent composer, People's Artist of the USSR, a winner of the USSR State Prize and Shota Rustaveli Prize of Georgia, Golden Medal winner of "Centro Cultural Braidense – Milano" for ballet "Othello", Professor, winner of many Soviet and International Prizes, Cavalier of many Orders, chairman of the Georgian Union of composers: 1962-1973, since 1979 – member of the board of the Union of Soviet Composers until 1992, a Deputy of the USSR Supreme Council 1962-1970.

A. Matchavariani was born in the town of Gori in Eastern Georgia in a noble family. The folk tunes of his homeland were the first sources of his musical education. Later, at the age of 6, he started his training on piano and violin. After graduating the Tbilisi Conservatory (composition) he completed his postgraduate training in the art of composition as a pupil of Prof. P.B. Ryazanov. Later (in 1961) he became the professor of the Tbilisi State Conservatory, the recommendation for his professorship was written by D. Shostakovich & T. Khrennikov.

In twenty's and in thirty's he was many times arrested, but his fate and his music was saving him again and again.

His first success he had with his piano composition "Chorumi" 1937. It was after "Chorumi" when the great Georgian conductor, GMD of the Tbilisi Opera and of the Georgian State Orchestra E. Mikeladze proposed him to write an opera. A. Matchavariani wrote his first opera "Mother and Son" in 1942. Matchavariani's first big success was the piano concerto 1944, which was first performed in Tbilisi, few months later in Moscow, after in Leningrad, Germany and other places. After writing his first compositions for the orchestra: "Elegy" in 1936, "Scherzo" – 1936, "Mumli Mukhasa" – 1939. A. Matchavariani composes his First Symphony in 4 movements in 1947, which brought him a great success. The symphony was first performed in Tbilisi , Moscow and Leningrad , later in many other cities. The some time together with D. Shostakovich and S. Prokofiev he was accused in "formalism". After Stalin's death, the situation has started to change.

The new dimension and sensational success had A. Matchavariani after writing his famous violin concerto in 1949, which was performed in many countries. First performers were M. Weiman ( Leningrad ) and D. Oistrach ( Moscow ). The concerto was recorded a number of times by "Melodia", as well by "Columbia Records" in USA .

In 1952 he was again on the Red List to be deported together with his family. His destiny has saved him again.

"The Day of my Homeland" Oratorio was written in 1955. The same year it's first performance was in Moscow , conducted by A. Gauk, who was the first interpreter of that and some other compositions of A. Matchavariani. The Oratorio became one of the most popular pieces in the USSR and was broadcasted many times on the Soviet Radio, recorded for "Melodia".

In the period 1940-1955, A. Matchavariani wrote a lot of chamber music for piano, violin, choir and vocal music. Many of these compositions became the jewellery of Georgian and Soviet music.

"<Othello> is a feast of arts" wrote Mr. Tzarev in Soviet Culture in 1958, Moscow after attending it's performance at "Bolshoi" theatre. "Othello" was finished in 1957. This ballet brought A. Matchavariani a stunning success in Georgia, in Moscow ("Bolshoi"), in Leningrad (at "Kirov" theater), in many cities of the former USSR, in USA, in Paris, in Japan, in Finland, in Germany, in Romania and many other places. With "Othello", it is the end of one chapter in a musical language of A. Matchavariani and beginning of a new musical expression.

In 1960 he started another big composition, it is "Hamlet", an opera in two acts. This work continues until 1967. The opera was prohibited by Georgian authority's.

In 1964 A. Matchavariani has finished "5-Monolognes" for baritone and orchestra, for which he was rewarded with S. Rustaveli Prize. With "5-Momolognes" and with "Hamlet", A. Matchavariani has started a new musical language and the much more modern way of expressing his musical ideas, together with a new way of designing his score. With symphony №2 he continues his new musical language.1972. The critics have baptized this symphony as a beginning of the PHILOSOPHICAL SYMPHONISM in Georgia .

In 1977 A. Matchavariani wrote probably the most important composition for him. It is ballet "The Knight in the tiger skin", the poem of the 12-th century of the greatest Georgian poet and philosopher S. Rustaveli, pride of Georgia . It's first production was in Leningrad , at "Kirov"(Mariisky) theatre, choreographer O. Vinogradov. The "Knight" had a great success in Leningrad (during 7 years) Moscow , USA , Paris , Japan , Tbilisi and many other places.

After writing a number of chamber, choral and vocal music, in 1979 he wrote a musical comedy "The Bug" after V. Mayakovsky. In 1983 Matchavariani has finished №3 and №4 symphonies. №3 Symphony is a composition of a huge power, deep and tender. The critic wrote about it: It is universal and human, cosmic and earthy. №4 symphony "The Youth's" for strings, percussion, piano, celesta and harp is a sparkling, melodic, lyrical, motor composition with electric dynamism.

After writing the ballet in two acts "The Taming of the shrew" after W. Shakespeare in 1984, he continues the line of the symphony №3 and in 1986 he writes a stunning №5 symphony "Ushba". 46 minute symphony in two parts (without interval) is a huge universal power, like a philosophical treaty. Matchavariani is using 8:horns, 4:trumpets, 4:trombones, 2:tubas, 70:strings, a huge orchestra. He is using 8 horns and 4 trumpets already in №3 symphony, but in №5 symphony Matchavariani is using around 115 musicians.

Immediacy after "Ushba" he writes his symphony №6 "Amirani"(Prometheus) 1987 which continues the line of №5 symphony and is a beginning of the third chapter of a new musical language.

In 1987 he writes as well a cello concerto, for strings, harp and cello, in 3 movements.

Next composition is a Symphony №7 "Gelati"(1989) for the choir and orchestra, after the poems of the king David the constructor of Georgia, opera "Medea" in 2 acts (1991) and ballet "Pirosmani"(1992) in 2 acts , which has not been performed yet, it way not performed as well the ballet "Taming of the Shrew".

These compositions have not been performed because A. Matchavariani often was not in favor of Georgian authorities, because of telling always the truth.

A. Matchavariani wrote 4 string quartets, two piano sonatas, violin sonata, many compositions for piano, violin, cello, choir, vocal, music for theatre and cinema. The film "The secret of two oceans" were he wrote the music was rewarded at Venice film festival. His music was recorded on "Melodia", "Columbia Records" and other companies, as well for Radio and TV.
    A. Matchavariani wrote as well a lot of poems and philosophical treaties, his thoughts about music.

He was a giving, deep, optimistic, highly spiritual person and a big humanist.

People like D. Shostakovich, A. Khachaturian, K. Karaev, M. Rostropovich, D. Oistach, I. Stern, S. Richter, J. Temirkanov, J. Grigorovich, S. Virsaladze, V. Tchabukiani, O. Vinogradov, V. Gergiev, A. Toradze, L. Isakadze, P. Burchuladze and many other musicians and artist were visiting his house.

A. Matchavariani has died on the 31 of December 1995, the newspaper "Kultura" in Moscow wrote few days after: "Your countenance is excellent – in all of composition, in all of pages of symphony's, operas, ballet scores; in each phrase, line, note, of vocal and instrumental music... Alexei Matchavariani – friend and a hero of the row of materials at our newspaper. Editorial office of "Kultura". Moscow , 13-01-96.".

eschiss1

The Machavariani I've heard so far (violin concerto, first symphony) seemed rather good. I think the family maintains a commemorative website with a reasonable amount of information etc. ... Thanks!

Alan Howe

His music's obviously so hot that it set his hair on fire!

jowcol

gpdlt2010

Those interested in E. Stikhin's music may wish to check in the intoclassics.net website, which has his Doctor Zhivago Symphonic Fantasia.

semloh

Having listened several times to Taming of the Shrew, I don't wonder he began to spontaneously combust. It's so full of energy - great fun.  ;D

Many thanks to jowcol and Karl Miller!  :)

JimL

I tried to find the YouTube with Machavariani's Piano Concerto in order to get the movements, but it seems to have disappeared.  Can anybody provide this info?

gpdlt2010

My thanks  to herrarte for Serov's The Zaporozhye Cossacks!

Ilja

Re the upload of Tchaikovsky's Kuznets Vakula, the performers are here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/tchaikovskyexperience/pip/sfq4s/:

Tchaikovsky: Vakula the Smith
A BBC archive recording of Tchaikovsky's opera based on Gogol's tale Christmas Eve.

Narrator ...... Patricia Routledge
Vakula ...... David Bender (tenor)
Solokha ...... Anne Collins (mezzo)
Devil ...... Donald Maxwell (baritone)
Chub ...... Clive Bayley (bass)
Oxana ...... Susan Roberts (soprano)
The Mayor and His Excellency ...... Nicholas Folwell (baritone)
Panas and School Teacher ...... Neil Jenkins (tenor)
Chorus of Opera North
BBC Philharmonic
Edward Downes (conductor)

hattoff

Thanks Ilja,
I remember now that I cut out the narration, I don't think anyone will miss it, but all the music is there.