News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Stefan Bergman (1901-????)

Started by Martin Eastick, Wednesday 29 June 2011, 10:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Eastick

Dear All,

I wonder if anyone here has any information about Stefan Bergman (born 1901?). He wrote a number of shortish piano works in the 1930's rather in the style of Friedman/Godowsky and other similar pianist/composers - but seems to have disappeared before WW2. These short pieces were published in London by Universal Music Agencies (nothing to do with Universal Edition apparently!) and Eileen Joyce recorded a couple (Polka-Caprice & Himmelsgesange) for Columbia. I presume she probably included these as encores in her recitals at the time, although the composer does not feature on any of her programmes.

I would be pleased to here if anyone knows what became of Bergman and also if he contined to compose beyond Op4. I know he can only be described as a most minor composer at best, but any further information would be most welcome!

Martin

Latvian

A couple of websites list a Stephan Bergman as having performed the Brahms Second Piano Concerto with the Berlin Philharmonic in 1932, under the baton of George Szell.

Rob H

I would dearly love to get hold of copies of the pieces that Eileen Joyce plays (Polka Caprice op1/3 and Himmelgesang op2/1). I've been looking off and on since I first heard them. Thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction.
Rob

Gareth Vaughan

Copies of his published music are held in the British Library and the Bodleian Library in Oxford (also some at Trinity College, Dublin, and The Royal Academy of Music, London). Of course, since his music is still in copyright none of these institutions will photocopy them for you. What you could do, however, is write to the PRS (Performing Rights Society) and ask who now holds the copyright for Bergman's music (or for Universal Music Agencies' publications). They ought to know. Then you can contact the copyright holder and seek their permission to obtain photocopies. They will need to provide it in writing to whichever library you approach. That is all I can suggest.

Rob H