News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Weismann

Started by lechner1110, Saturday 09 July 2011, 11:33

Previous topic - Next topic

lechner1110

Thank you very much to upload.
  I heard this composer's name for the first time.
 And I'm enjoying to listen this late romantic style music.
  Especially, Violin concerto no.2 is very good.

Huge thanks!!

A.S

eschiss1

(further) information on vn conc 1 op36 btw- published 1913 by FEC Leuckart :) ( see HMB 1913, p211) (placing this here because "further" is a comment on and slight expansion of the other subforum topic and information, etc., though not admittedly very much of one.) (edit- better, maybe less confusing description, a month or so earlier)

ah, and yes - This huge page does indeed list the two symphonies/sinfoniettas as having been recorded recently and being in preparation.  I notice Straesser does not even make his list, but then he restricts himself to composers who are on CD or LP. (Kurt Hessenberg's 2nd he lists but not his 6th which was on LP, though? So an incomplete list- well, that happens. Kurt Hessenberg's very interesting too, at least what I've heard of his music- chamber music, so far.)

Latvian

Thank you so much, britishcomposer! I've enjoyed these works tremendously and am glad to have become better acquainted with Weismann's music. The only work of his that I'd heard previously was a French Horn Concertino, that didn't even begin to display the richness and sweep of these other works. None are unquestionable masterpieces, but highly enjoyable listening nonetheless. I hope you have more...

britishcomposer

Thanks, Latvian, you are welcome! :D
Have you noticed my latest additions: op.96, 110 and 137?
I will probably add a late string trio of which I am especially fond. That's enough I think! ;)

lechner1110

Wonderful!
  I can listen Weismann's piano concertos :D

Huge thanks

A.S

semloh

britishcomposer - Thank you for this wonderful music. As a latecomer to the forum, I have only just listened to the Weismann files in the downloads pages. Pure enjoyment! And, totally new to me.
jimmatt ... is there any chance you might be able to temporarily reupload the piano concertos etc?

jerfilm

Yes, Jim, I second the motion - I missed getting the 2nd Piano Concerto to replace my old cassette tape....

Does anyone have recordings of his symphonys?  I have #2 in D and #3 in Bb but they are on ancient reel to reel tapes that are very inconvenient to digitize.  Perhaps another project for next month.  But missing #1.

Jerry

semloh

Arbuckle - that's very kind. I'm going to enjoy listening to these today - thank you.

Balapoel

Hi Jerry,
Thanks for the Weismann symphonies. I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of the bass drone on my audio software.
I have a question relating to exactly which one the D major one is. My records indicate:
Symphony in b minor, Op. 19 (1905)
Symphony in Bb, Op. 130 (1940)
Symphony in b minor, Op. 131 (1940)

and of course, Sinfonietta giocosa in Eb, Op. 110, Sinfonietta severa in f minor, Op. 111, and Sinfonia brevis, Op. 116.

Is the D major you posted the Op. 19 symphony?

eschiss1

I think they were (according to an earlier comment/post/reply/whathave and whatnot I recall???) op.130 in B-flat and op.131 in B minor, unless pitch-testing (allowing for -some- tape pitch degeneration) revealed that sym no.2, the first file, was much closer to D major than to B-flat? I should check too (I am not perfect-pitched but have not bad relative pitch as goes...)

Of course, if opp 19, 130 and 131 and other "possibles" (say, among the unnumbered symphonies, assuming these works are indeed by Weismann) have very different movement listings and better still if anyone has say brief fair-use incipits for the movements of those works (as say appear in a composer's Thematic Catalog- one reason I am glad that composers like Ries in an earlier era prepared even the incomplete thematic catalog that he did- the incipits allowing one to identify works- not to mention Mozart of course :) !! )... then - well - yay!

Holger

Just a quick note to make things clear: I posted the information you are in search of in the German discussion folder. The numbers of the two symphonies Jerry uploaded are correct, but the keys are wrong. And Eric, believe me: the Second is really in B flat. I can hear that. :)

eschiss1

black

An other performance of Weismann's 2nd Symphony can be heard on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uQq9GKyjHw&feature=channel_video_title

lechner1110

Hi Black, Thanks for your information
  Many interesting musics are in this channel :D

eschiss1

Here are movement listings for some of Weismann's symphonies (not all of them are included in announcements on the broadcasts).
Main source: Buschkötter, Handbuch der internationalen Konzertliteratur.
Sinfonietta giocosa in E-flat op.110 (1934) -
I. Allegro vivace
II. Andante non troppo lento
III. Presto ma non troppo.

Sinfonietta severa in F minor op.111 (1932, published 1934 by Birnbach, Berlin.)
I. Non troppo - Allegro e grave
II. Lento un poco andante
III. Allegro molto

Sinfonia brevis op.116 (1934, published 1935)
I. Andante
II. Scherzo: Tempo giusto
III. Largo
(which is odd, since our file here has 4 movements for op.116 ... are files 2 and 3 scherzo followed by trio and scherzo da capo in the second file?... hrm. haven't really listened to that one yet :( )