Polish Music

Started by Mark Thomas, Friday 22 July 2011, 18:51

Previous topic - Next topic

markniew

Hi A.S.
As to the symphonies of Nowowiejski - he did compose 4 of them. I can remember one/two  recorded for Polish Radio. will check in my archive if I have got one of them. apart of the orchestral symphonies he did compose 8 or so organ pieces called symphonies.
I do have also off radio recording of Nowowiejski's vocal-orchestral piece Quo vadis - based on the novel by the Polish Nobel prize winner of 1904 Henryk Sienkiewicz.
the composition was to some extent famous worldwide (let say so) in the beginning of 20th century. I am not a fan of vocal-orchestral music but that is Polish piece and is quite interesting.
Marek 

lechner1110

Thank you very much Marek!
  I will look forward to hearing from you.

I recorded Nowowiejski's vocal-orchestral piece Quo vadis too.
  I felt this is very dramatic and symphonic oratorio.
  Nowowiejski's musics are quite excellent!

Best

A.S

Mark Thomas

I'd be very interested in hearing any more Nowowiejski that's out there. A seriously impressive composer of whom I knew nothing until the downloads were posted here. Very many thanks for them.

Alan Howe

jerfilm

That makes three of us....

Jerry

Alan Howe

Quo Vadis must be the loudest oratorio ever written! Very exciting to begin with, but the sheer loudness quickly becomes extremely wearing. As I said, exciting - for a while - but not exactly subtle. Mind you there's some marvellous music later on - of an operatic intensity - so I'm hooked!

jerfilm

Thanks for it.  Quo Vadis has been one of my favorite films of all time, too.  The one with Peter Ustinov as Nero....

Yes, it's loud and works like this tend to get a little long for me at least except when you hear them in actual concert and can watch as well as listen.  But I like it, too.

Jerry

markniew

as i have told - it's for fans of lesser well known music. Myself personally I am not a lover of operatic  and cantatic music. however in that oratorio I found something for me - exactly the fragments that are not typically oratoric but symphonic.

tomorrow here in Warsaw we will have the symphonic performance of the Nowowiejski's opera The Legend of Baltic. Next week it is announced its rebroadcast by Polish Radio. The opera also not being staged much ofen. Last opera performance took place in ca. 70s
perhaps someone be interested.

Marek

lechner1110

Hello Marek

Thanks to your introduce.
  I recorded this Oratorio at this August Polish radio broadcast.

I feel very symphonic and dramatic impression from this Oratorio.
  I hope Polish radio more broadcast Nowowiejski's music.

A.S

Alan Howe

Hi Marek: please do upload anything by Nowowiejski! He's a fascinating composer.

Alan Howe

Thanks, Marek for the upload of the lovely Symphony No. 3 by Maliszewski - anyone who likes, say, Myaskovsky, Karlowicz, Steinberg, Lemba, etc. is going to like this too.

markniew

Allan,

you are right, it is very nice and attractive music with nice tunes, good constructed (in traditional sense). I like it. what might be his earlier pieces - that is the question!
I will go throgh my catalogue to find other symphonies of that style.

It takes however time - few months ago I decided to change Windows XP for Linux and that was not good idea. now I have troubles with opening my catalogue that was done and kept in Ms Access. Now to find something I have to look and dig through hundreds of my own-made CDs.

best,
Marek

Alan Howe

Please take your time, Marek. There's no hurry!

Richard Moss

Marek,

I've downloaded the Witold  Maliszewski symphony but when I went to run the SETUP.EXE (presumably necessary to unload the file), it asked me to agree to all sorts of add-ons and licence terms for extras, which I don't want and don't want to agree to.

Do you have a simple MEDIAFIRE or similar that other uploaders use to avoid this problem please.

Thank you

Richard

Dundonnell

Hi,

Registering with Mediafire is no big deal. Just create an account, username/password etc. and off you go.

I use it all the time without any problems whatsoever :)