Polish Music

Started by Mark Thomas, Friday 22 July 2011, 18:51

Previous topic - Next topic

markniew

In the Dowloads there are two short pieces:

STANISŁAW  MONIUSZKO  (1819-1872)
Two Daces from the Ballet ,,Count Monte Christo"  (1866)   
1.  Mazur
2.  Spanish Dance

It is rather funny that we can find in the ballet on Monte Christo even Polish National Dance - Mazur  :)

FELIKS  RYBICKI  (1899-1978)
,,Wedding" - Overture for Symphony Orchestra

The piece employs, what is not surprising, motives of Polish national dances.

markniew

In the Dowmloads / Polish Symphonics this time not symphonic music but a number of solo piano pieces by Aleksander Tansman can be found.

As far as I know they (in this performance) have not been released on LP or CD. 

Furthermore I intend  to upload  also Tansman's: Le tour de monde en miniature, Quatres dances polonaises and Rhapsodie hebraique - music recorded in 1987 on the Polskie Nagrania cassette, also performed by Malicki.

According to my knowledge this cassete was not been reissued on CD however I want to be sure it was not. Does anybody from the UC community has any comments?

eschiss1

No, these works (same performances, that I can tell - Tour de monde, rhapsodie, Quatre danses, along with performances of works by Paderewski that had been on another disc and played by another pianist) were indeed reissued on CD in 1990. A check of WorldCat using the search terms Malicki Tansman sufficed to determine this :) (No other discs of works  of music by Tansman - or anyway only one, i assume it's the same - are listed in the Malicki page discography.)

markniew

thank you eschiss1 for information. it seems I missed this CD by Polskie Nagrania. I do have Kobayashi's LP with Paderewski and cannot remember LP with the Tansman - only cassette.

Another thing.
I do want to upload piano music by Tausig played by Michael Ponti - that was issued here in Poland by WIFON in 1980 on cassette and for sure was not reissued on CD.
I can see in the worldcat the LP of 1972 by Candide with ponti in almost similar repertoire as on WIFON but for sure Ponti recorded it in Warsaw in 1980 (according to sleeve notes) - producer was Stanisław Dybowski who also recorded for WIFON (LPs) some extravagant version of Chopin's pf cto no. 1 in the Tausig's edition, no. 2 in version by Cortot, pf cto by Wieniawski coupled with Tausig's Hungarian Gypsy Airs for pf and orchestra. They were played by Setrak and ??? and then were reissued on CDs by Chant du monde.

markniew

as promised before I have uploaded Piano concerto by Deszczyński plus two other pieces by Polish 19th century composers - all performed during the same evening - the 5th Festival of the Polish Chamber Music, Warsaw, 13.10.2007 (taken live from the concert hall)

ANTONI STOLPE  (1851-1872)
Fantasy for Cello and Orchestra (1868)

IGNACY FELIKS DOBRZYŃSKI (1807-1867)
Fantasy for Trumpet and Orchestra in G major op. 35 (ca. 1839)

JÓZEF DESZCZYŃSKI (1781-1844)
Piano Concerto in F major op. 25 (18??)

recorded by my friend using simple voice recorder so the quality is not excellent, some distortions are present, perhaps someone from you can improve the sound. It would be greatly welcomed

mikehopf

I pestered Marek mercilessly to upload the Desczynski Piano Concerto and I'm so glad that I did!

Thank you so much for all three beautiful works.

jowcol

Music of Pawel Lukaszewski

Adagietto for String Orchestra(2009)
The Podlasie Opera and Philharmonic Orchestra
Piotr Borkowski, Conductor

Utopia (for Orchestra- 2008)
The Podlasie Opera and Philharmonic Symphonic Orchestra
Szymon Bywalec,

Lukaszewski specializes in sacred/choral music, but these instrumentals are quite accessible  if you are comfortable with the modern "spiritual" sound.  His is alive and well, from what I can determine, and with the information below from the Living Composers Project, you can contact him if you wish....

Lukaszewski, Pawel (b. September 19, 1968, Czestochowa). Polish composer of mostly choral and vocal works that have been performed throughout the world; he is also active as a conductor.

Mr. Lukaszewski is the son of the composer Wojciech Lukaszewski (b. 1936 – d. 1978). He studied cello with Grzegorz Janusz at the High School of Music in Czestochowa from 1981-87, where he graduated with a diploma with distinction. He studied cello with Andrzej Wróbel at the Frédéric Chopin Academy of Music in Warsaw from 1987-92, where he also studied composition with Marian Borkowski from 1991-95 and there earned his MMus in both subjects, as well as his DMus in composition in 2000. He then had post-graduate studies in choral conducting with Ryszard Zimak at the Academy of Music in Bydgoszcz in 1994-95. In addition, he has attended masterclasses with Barbara Marcinkowska, Harald Ossberger and Boguslaw Schäffer.

Among his honors are First Prize in the competition of the Frédéric Chopin Academy of Music (1994, for Arrampicata), Second Prize in the Young Composers Forum in Kraków (1994, for Winterreise) and the Prize of the President of Czestochowa (1995, for his entire oeuvre). He has also received Second Prize in the Adam Didur competition in Sanok (1996, for Recordationes de Christo moriendo) and Second Prize in the competition of the chorus Florilège Vocal de Tours (1998, for Two Lent Motets). In addition, he earned a recommendation in the Jihlava competition in Prague (1998, for Beatus Vir [one section]), the award and medal from the Baltic Arts University in Koszalin (1998), and the Polonia Restituta Cross (order of the knight, 1998). He was also nominated for the title Man of the Year by the American Biographical Institute (2000) and earned two Third prizes in the Pro Arte competition in Wroclaw (2003, for Church Songs [two sections]).

He has earned grants from numerous organizations, including annual grants from ZAiKS, the society of authors and composers, from 1995-99 and biannual grants since 2001. His works have been heard throughout Poland, as well as in Belarus, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, China, Denmark, France, Germany, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Russia, Slovakia, South Korea, Spain, Switzerland, the UK, Ukraine, the USA, and Vatican City.
As a conductor, he has served as second conductor of the Stefan Wyszynski University Choir in Warsaw since 1994 and as conductor of the chamber chorus Musica Sacra in Warsaw since 1999.

Mr. Lukaszewski is also active in other positions. He has served as president of the Sacred Music Society in Warsaw since 1992. He has also served as the artistic secretary of the Laboratory of Contemporary Music in Bialystok since 1994 and as the secretary-general of the Laboratory of Contemporary Music Society in Warsaw since 1995.

He has taught composition at the Frédéric Chopin Academy of Music in Warsaw since 1996, where he has been an associate professor since 2001 and director of counterpoint studies since 2002. He also taught in Chile as a visiting professor at the Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile in Santiago, the Pontificia Universidad Católica de Valparaíso, the Universidad de Chile in Santiago, and the Universidad de Playa Ancha in Valparaíso in 2003.
He is the brother of the composer Marcin Lukaszewski.

CONTACT INFORMATION
E-mail address: lukaszewski@chopin.edu.pl or lukaszewskip@poczta.onet.pl
Street address: Mr. Pawel Lukaszewski, ul. Odkryta 38A, M. 20, 03-140 Warsaw, Poland
Cellular phone: + 485 0133 9902 or + 482 2814 9592

eschiss1

Marek - the Deszczyński concerto was published by Hofmeister of Leipzig in 1833 according to their own Monatsberichte (HMB 1833, page 36.) So no later than that, at any rate. (They also published two polonaises for piano duet by him the year before , and his Variations Op.21 turn up - in a Hofmeister publication called Le jeune pianiste, a collection with works by Deszczyński and others; I very much suspect that's a reprint...-  in the Monatsberichte in 1838 but that's all I see in the search engine offhand between 1829 and 1900- I may not be looking hard enough. May have been published elsewhere earlier of course! )

Worldcat does list a 1827? publication also by Hofmeister of a Deszczyński piano quartet, also (in A minor, Op.39 - ???). Actually, according to this, ca.1827 is possible, no later than 1828 anyway for the piano quartet which is described in some detail in French in that Google page (can transcribe later...). The polonaise I mentioned is dated there rather earlier, to 1817.

Dundonnell

jowcol-

Thank you so much for the two Lukaszewski pieces :)

One of the very finest composers of modern but gorgeously beautiful music around today :)

jowcol

Boleslaw Szabelski, Symphony 3 (1951)

Office de Radiodiffusion-Télévision Française (ORTF)
Conducted by Krzysztof Missona (Thanks to Markniew!)
Radio Broadcast (Likely between 1964 and 1974). 

From the collection of Karl Miller

Although Szabelski is better known for his later work with atonality, and also his mentorship to Gorecki, this work is much more type of symphonies that a Miaskovsky or Shostakovitch would write.  there are some dissonant/impressionist moments in the beginning, but the first movement as a whole struck me a s very well-structured work of symphonic writing.  The ending is somewhat akin to Shostakovitch's 5th in that it chases away the melancholia with a very uplifting and powerful finale.  From what I have been able to find, his first three symphonies have never been commercially recorded-- and based on this, I would consider that a great loss.

(An interesting note on the ORTF broadcasts- they were pioneers of a stereo technique that they  spaced two microphones to approximate the distance between person's ears--  more details at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ORTF_stereo_technique) Of course, I must admit to be pretty ignorant in the realm of recording. )

Wikipedia Bio:

Bolesław Szabelski (3 December 1896 in Radoryż - 27 August 1979 Katowice) was a Polish composer of modern classical music. While his style shifted and varied over the course of his life, he is best known for his atonal work composed during the 1950s and 1960s.

Szabelski studied at Polish Musical Society School with Łysakowski in 1915.[1] He attended the Warsaw Conservatory under Karol Szymanowski. Between 1929 and 1939, he taught organ and composition at the conservatoire of Katowice.[2]

Szabelski began working in the neoclassical and romanticism modes typical of the early 20th C. He adopted the serialist technique[3] in the 1950s and was one of a number of Polish new wave of composers to embrace atonality.[4] His early work had been characterised by monumental forms and fanfare motifs[5] and Szabelski adapted to the new astetic while retaining his old signatures. As a result he developed a style described as "strikingly innovative".[1]

He composed five symphonies (1926, 1934, 1951, 1956 and 1968), as well as concertos, chamber and choral works. Szabelski was highly influential on the "New Polish School" composers of the early 1950s, and had a formative influence on his student Henryk Mikołaj Górecki.

markniew

Thank you jowcol for the Szabelski symphony. In fact he changed in late 50s his style into more modern. But his no. 3 sounds good. So does also no. 4.
As to the conductor I expect he was Krzysztof Missona.

jowcol

Thanks for the clarification!