German Music Folder

Started by Mark Thomas, Wednesday 27 July 2011, 21:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

Very many thanks, BritishComposer, for the Kaun Suite. I had a different performance of the work, with only four of the five movements, so its great to have the complete piece. Falstaff, which you also mention, I also have and is rather like a cross between middle period Elgar and the Strauss of the symphonic poems, but duller than both IMHO.

britishcomposer

I agree with you about Falstaff, Mark. I haven't scanned Kaun's worklist until today. What a vast amount of potential gems is lingering in the dark archives of... who knows! :D

jerfilm

Yes, many thanks BC.  Have long been interested in hearing something other than the old cassette broadcast tape I have of Sir John Falstaff.   Hopefully someone will come up with more.  I think there is a piano concerto recording, synthesized, but as I recall, it was quite dreadful.

Jerry

eschiss1

there is, of part of the 2nd concerto on IMSLP. there are also recordings of a number of works of his, mostly synthesized I think, including parts of symphony no.1, at Romana-Hamburg (recently referred to in another thread here). (This also contains a small part of his first piano concerto- perhaps that's the one you're referring to- IMSLP contains a recording of most of the 2nd, but in 2-piano reduction I think.  There are some very good recordings at IMSLP too though, in my opinion- but I said that in another thread still.)

Holger

Hi,

I think I would be interested in a recording of Kaun's "Falstaff", so I would be grateful for an upload. Recently I thought to have found a recording of some of his orchestral works including his First Symphony but then I realized these were just synthesized performances.

It's fine how much rarities are posted here. I think I do have some items in my collection which might be of interest as well, will post them bit by bit.

Regards,
Holger

eschiss1

Kaun's Falstaff (not yet the op.92 suite composed 1912/14, my mistake) is available in full score at IMSLP.  btw! - given that it was dedicated to the memory of conductor Theodore Thomas who died in 1905 (late in which year it was premiered, by the Chicago Symphony conducted by Friedrich Wilhelm- Frederick - Stock) , how certain is that date of 1904? :)  Not that after-composition, pre-publication dedications are unknown (or during revision, or... Asrael comes to mind as an interesting case of an "or"...)

Mark Thomas

Very many thanks for the Volbach symphonic poem, bc! Great post.

britishcomposer

Quote from: eschiss1 on Saturday 30 July 2011, 16:25
Kaun's Falstaff (not yet the op.92 suite composed 1912/14, my mistake) is available in full score at IMSLP.  btw! - given that it was dedicated to the memory of conductor Theodore Thomas who died in 1905 (late in which year it was premiered, by the Chicago Symphony conducted by Friedrich Wilhelm- Frederick - Stock) , how certain is that date of 1904? :)  Not that after-composition, pre-publication dedications are unknown (or during revision, or... Asrael comes to mind as an interesting case of an "or"...)

I took the date from here, a worklist compiled by the composer himself:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo-Kaun-Werkverzeichnis
It was however dated 1903 somewhere else...  :-\

PS: I just checked the score at IMSLP: Kaun said he finished the work in early January 1905, so it must have been composed more or less in 1904 I guess... ;)

Holger

Hi all,

many thanks for the Kaun and Volbach uploads. It's exciting to get to know these rarities, both of which are quite interesting pieces. I do know somebody who has a copy of the Volbach symphony, so if nobody here has this for share I think I might be able to provide us with a recording at some point.

Regards,
Holger

Mark Thomas

Embarrassingly, I find that I had a radio recording of the Volbach Symphony, given me by a friend, buried away in the deepest recesses of my hard drive. I don't think that I've ever listened to it. I'll upload it soon...

Mark Thomas

Volbach's Symphony, as enjoyable a ride as yesterdays' symphonic poem, has now been uploaded. Full details in the Downloads board.

eschiss1

the only orchestral Volbach I was aware of (because of IMSLP) was his Raffael op.26 of 1902 for chorus and orchestra (anyone have a recording of that? Or is that on CD already, I wonder- I need to check... :) ) Looking forward to hearing the new uploads.

eschiss1

Re the Bargiel symphony, only an arrangement is at IMSLP at present, but better than nothing... hopefully full score eventually... glad to have the recording (which I did have in my collection but which seems to have escaped it; glad to welcome it back. Lovely piece!)

britishcomposer

Thank you so much for the Volbach Symphony, Mark! I had given up the hope ever to listen to this work after the certain professor left the university. ;)

jerfilm

Oh yes, many, many thanks for all of these great treasures.  I've had Volbach on my want list for many years.  A couple of other works to keep a lookout for:  his  Piano Quintet in d and something called Easter for organ and orchestra......also Vierling's Piano Trio, opus 51 and a Symphony opus 33.

Jerry