German Music Folder

Started by Mark Thomas, Wednesday 27 July 2011, 21:32

Previous topic - Next topic

britishcomposer

Hi Eric,

I will upload Bleyle 2nd this afternoon! :D

Alan Howe

Thanks, Mathias, for the absolutely magnificent Volbach piece 'Es waren zwei Königskinder' - what fabulously rich and expressive music. Truly wonderful.

eschiss1

Thank you- about to download, looking forward to hearing the Bleyle. That was fast. :)

Mark Thomas

I've uploaded an expansive early Symphony of 1887 and four well made and substantial orchestral works by Georg Schumann dating from the 1906 to the 1930 (although his idiom didn't really change).

jerfilm

Mark, thanks for the Schumann pieces.  I am listening to the Symphony as I read through other posts.  If this is a student work, he must have been a pretty danged serious student to have composed a symphony running over 40 minutes!   Pretty decent orchestrator for a mere kid......

I have a cassette of his Symphonic Humoresque back in Minnesota.  Another thing to remind me of in October.  If everyone remembers to remind me of things, I'll be busy for several days just digitizing and uploading....

Jerry

Mark Thomas

Don't worry Jerry, I'll remind you!

britishcomposer

Many many thanks for sooo much Schumann, Mark!
All I knew before was his Opus 74 which as far as I know is also called Humoresque. So, Jerry, perhaps you are spared of this particular task. ;)
Ah, yes, I have a recording of his Oratorio 'Ruth' op. 50. Interested, Mark?

Mark Thomas

I have a copy of Ruth thanks, Mathias, but doesn't it come from a current CD? I'd certainly be very interested in the Humoresque, though. Thanks.

britishcomposer

My recording of 'Ruth' is a broadcast from Deutschlandradio of a live performance. (Berlin SO, cond. Jörg Peter Weigle.)
I am not aware that this has been released commercially. Has it ever? I would be very interested to know!

I meant that the 'Orchestervariationen über Vetter Michel op.74' which you uploaded, Mark, are also called 'Humoreske in Variationenform'.
But perhaps I am mistaken and there is another work called Symphonic Humoresque...?

jerfilm

Very astute, BC.  Another look into my database reveals that indeed, the Symphonic Humoresque is opus 74.

So I think we can put that one to bed.  How it got such a different name might be interesting......

Jerry

Mark Thomas

Mathias, my apologies - my Ruth is the same radio broadcast and therefore fine to upload. Thanks for figuring out that the op.74/Variations/Humoresque is the same piece.

eschiss1

Fortunately some of those Georg Schumann works are I think in score (full or vocal) at IMSLP incl. Lebensfreude (op.54, ca.1910) and others which may be useful also. Again thanks!

eschiss1

According to Bielekat, Hanns Wolf wrote or published his concerto in 1929. (Often hard to tell which date people mean. Apparently it is Hanns, not Hans.)

lechner1110

Thank you very much your advice eschiss1.
  And I modified his name now.

Best
  A.S

jerfilm

The Hiller Piano Quintet broadcast on WDR3 today is now in the German Music Folder.

Jerry