German Music Folder

Started by Mark Thomas, Wednesday 27 July 2011, 21:32

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

About some of Trapp's works-
the violin concerto is oddly tracked but I shouldn't have complained that it was incomplete (if I did)- the first track is the announcement, the second track is the beginning of the Lebhaft, the third track is the end of the Lebhaft and (at least part of- I need to listen to the rest soon) the remaining movements.
The Symphonic Prelude sounds like it might be influenced in part by (Brahms, some other composers) but also Reger, especially Reger's Symphonic Prolog to a Tragedy (op.108 in A minor).

I think especially of a theme about - 6:50? - into the performance of the Trapp op.44 that reminds me of a theme that begins, Andante sostenuto (sempre sonore ed espress.), on page 33 of the miniature score of the Reger (and begins a passage of 16 bars which ends the exposition of the one-movement sonata form piece. This theme appears, in A major instead of C, at the end (page 84 in the MPH reprint score) slightly changed. Lovely melody well-chosen for a resolution of a half-hour work, to my mind.) The resemblance was at least briefly so close that I had to stop my music player to figure out why I was actually humming something else, and what (it didn't take -that- long. I don't like the Trapp as much as the Reger- and they're very different works anyway - but it's good to become acquainted with the former.)
Wonder if there are tapes out there of Trapp's more famous (or maybe infamous in the latter case, though I expect I'll like both...) symphonies (#s 4 and 5)...

Richard Moss

I have just gone to  try and download this item but whereas all the other 'Trapp' items listed in the posting are in the folder, as given by the Mediafire link, the Cello concerto is missing (or is it me?!)

Any help appreciated!

Richard

Arbuckle

I apologize, missed it, the Trapp cello cto is there now.

Richard Moss

Just picked up your post - many tks

Richard

Amphissa

Elroel, I have a question about the Meyer Poem for Viola and Orchestra.

You say it is from Nova 8 85 136

But here is the listing of pieces for Nova 8 85 136.
http://www.ddr-hoerspiele.net/lp/MusikVonGrossen.html

On side 2 we see --

Ernst Hermann Meyer
Nr. VIII Notturno
Adagio aus ,,Leinefelder Divertimento"
Ralf-Carsten Brömsel, Violine
Jugendsinfonieorchester der Spezialschule für Musik der Hochschule ,,Carl Maria von Weber" Dresden
Dirigent: Klaus Dieter Stephan

So, now I must ask if the music we download is the Notturno No. 8, or if it is the Poem for Viola. And if it is the Poem for Viola with the performers you list, what is the source of the recording, because it is not Nova 8 85 136.

My apology for making this more complicated.

swanekj

Quote from: eschiss1 on Thursday 01 December 2011, 03:21
Also, re Bungert, will try to find out more but I do see his violin sonata mentioned in a review of a book about Bungert from 2005 - see here. Edition Silvertrust, I see, has a new edition of the piano quartet out... (it can also be downloaded at IMSLP.)
Torquato Tasso overture op.14 published about 1886 if not earlier. Variations and Fugue also @IMSLP (in B-flat minor, not D-flat major, for what that's worth!)
The Bungert Oratorio Mysterium really isn't that bad.  I wonder if that's what the operas sound like.

Alan Howe

Quote from: swanekj on Tuesday 31 July 2012, 20:43
The Bungert Oratorio Mysterium really isn't that bad.  I wonder if that's what the operas sound like.

Really? For me it's unsung music that deserves to remain unsung. However, I'd still like to hear the operas...

Mark Thomas

Me too, but I'm not holding my breath....

eschiss1

Belatedly about Fritz Reuter, I think his dates b/d are 1896-1963. That's a small something, anyway. (Source: viaf.org or more likely DNB, then viaf.org passing on DNB - German National Biography - information - will recheck later - sorry. There are indeed several Fritz Reuter(s) listed there, but that one has musical works attributed to him.)

MusicSack lists three Fritz Reuter(s): two violin makers (may be the same person) and this person (1896-9-9 to 1963-7-4, born Dresden or Lobtau, died same.)

From here looking up people who were born in 1896 we have Wikipedia entry for Fritz Reuter, composer (German). (Well, that worked well. Hrm. The Dutch article linked to lists two concertos, but neither mentions symphonies like the 3rd symphony uploaded here. Still, quite possibly the same person.) (Oh, looking at the index of German downloads I see that we already have the vitae... all I saw in the entry was that no information was available. Ah well. Sorry!! Hope the two Wikipedia articles are useful to someone.)

Holger

You are fully right, Eric. I didn't know you were searching or having doubts: I knew that and could have told you. Reuter's Third Symphony is from 1958, it is called "Die Heitere" (so, "Serene" or so) and it's in A Major. I also have some other works by Reuter which come from a Nova LP:

eschiss1

interestingly, in the index it's given the date 1907, suggesting that there's some confusion with Reuss-Köstritz's 3rd symphony (1907 would make it the work of an 11 year old- true, not only not impossible but not even unheard-of precocity, but should raise an eyebrow) :) I don't think I've downloaded the Reuter yet but will probably tonight and look forward to listening to it.

Elroel

Hello everybody,

Just arrived back home after two weeks holidays.

Amphissa asked about EH Meyer in combination with a Nova record.
I was wrong when I told it's from 8 85 136. It is actually from 8 85 134.

I'll correct the doenload

Sorry,

Elroel

Mark Thomas

Thanks very much Mathias for Walter Braunfels' Präludium und Fuge.