Slovak music

Started by eschiss1, Friday 29 July 2011, 12:08

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

The ballade for horn (1928) has been broadcast over BBC. There the horn part has been described as played by Peter Sivanič , a member of the Bratislava Wind Octet, not Peter Slavik?

Latvian

You are quite right, eschiss1. I was trying to read fine print in dim light when I came up with that misspelling. I have two other works of Suchon's from the same concert. Anyone interested?

jimmosk

Yes, I'm interested, based on the two you already uploaded!

Arbuckle

Dear Latvian: Can you put Frantisek Babusek's Piano Concerto up, they always cut off the end on Musica Slovaca. Thank you.

Latvian

QuoteDear Latvian: Can you put Frantisek Babusek's Piano Concerto up, they always cut off the end on Musica Slovaca. Thank you.

Arbuckle -- I would love to... if I had it. Unfortunately, I don't. Please do ask if there's anything else you think (or hope) I may have!

eschiss1

Also re Jàn Zimmer besides the East-Central Europe/Balkan symphonies discography, there is a List of works by Zimmer. I have several of the works listed (symphonies 1-3, 5-11, piano concerto 5, I think. Hope to hear others.)

Alan Howe

What is your opinion of Zimmer's music, Eric?

gpdlt2010

Back in 1987, Fanfare Magazine published a couple of articles by John H. Yoell (Focus on Slovak Discography, parts I and II). They appeared in Fanfare's Volume 11,nos. 1 and 2.
Those who can access Fanfare's Internet files may want to have a look at them. There's lots of "unsung" Slovak composers mentioned, such as Tibor Freso,Milan Novak, Jozef Malovec, Ivan Parik or Tadeas Salva, among many others.

eschiss1

I gather the Eugen Suchoň piano quartet is from around 1933. The movements are Allegro moderato , Allegro molto and Lento  (according to Czech Archives APF.)

eschiss1

As to Zimmer's music belatedly responding, I like it, though I've only heard - well, maybe ten works of his at most and one of them (symphony no.10 ) not characteristic; he seems to have been prolific (film music, symphonies, concertos, quartets, other works- there's a worklist online though not that much other information...). The style of the later symphonies remind me sometimes of the more modernist side of Prokofiev, maybe (nothing specifically Prokofievish, just that general sort of style which was, I think, one of several common "styles" (not a favorite term...) in Eastern European music around that time.  Hoping to hear more, though, speaking for myself of course.

Czech radio lists a few works of his on tape (e.g. piano concerto 1) that I haven't heard, maybe one of their several streaming classical stations will broadcast them some point in the nearish future. Not sure that answers the question...

Sydney Grew

My gratitude to member Sicmu for the Schneider-Trnavský Symphony is unbounded! About ten years ago I heard the Dumka and Dance of this composer, and was very favourably impressed. But - until now - I could discover nothing more of his. So, imagine my joy at finding the Symphony here! And it really exceeds my expectations in all respects. What a wonderful orchestrator this composer was; what an altogether wonderful work! He deserves to be far more widely known and performed.

Greg K

I agree completely about the excellence of Schneider-Trnavsky's Symphony.  I'd never heard his name until Sicmu's upload appeared, but have enjoyed this music greatly.

lechner1110

Yes, me too. Schneider-Trnavsky's Symphony is quite beautiful and romantic work.
  Also I'd never heard his name until then.  But one of my wonderful found in last year ;D

Sicmu

So I will upload the rest of this 2 LP set soon ( orchestral, choral and chamber works).

jowcol

I've posted Symphony 1 by Jozef Grešák in the Slovak Downloads section.

I've found a description of him below, a small English at the end of some monograph that was in a language I could not fathom.

Jozef Grešák – original personality of the Slovak music of the 20th century

Summary
Jozef Gresak (1907 – 1987) belongs to the most original Slovak music composers
of the 20th century. Student of Frano Dostalik (who was student of Leos Janacek) was
basically autodidact in music composition. The influence of Leos Janacek can be seen in his
unordinary music expression. He has reached his specific music expression with the deep
study of east Slovakian folk music sources. This specific music expression has been shown
especially in organizing the music material at that time. He has achieved a lot of composition
success throughout the sixties. In the seventies, the influence of L. Janacek, B. Bartokand A. Webern
can be seen. His compostion is falling to be little unknown nowadays.

There is also another description of him from the Proceedings of the !988 Janaceck conference in Google books.  Here is a link:
http://tinyurl.com/7kscbs2