News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Slovak music

Started by eschiss1, Friday 29 July 2011, 12:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Sydney Grew

Quote from: Sicmu on Wednesday 08 February 2012, 13:30
So I will upload the rest of this 2 LP set soon ( orchestral, choral and chamber works).
Thank you so much, member Sicmu! A joyful day!

fr8nks

Quote from: jowcol on Friday 10 February 2012, 14:04
I've posted Symphony 1 by Jozef Grešák in the Slovak Downloads section.

I've found a description of him below, a small English at the end of some monograph that was in a language I could not fathom.

Jozef Grešák – original personality of the Slovak music of the 20th century

Summary
Jozef Gresak (1907 – 1987) belongs to the most original Slovak music composers
of the 20th century. Student of Frano Dostalik (who was student of Leos Janacek) was
basically autodidact in music composition. The influence of Leos Janacek can be seen in his
unordinary music expression. He has reached his specific music expression with the deep
study of east Slovakian folk music sources. This specific music expression has been shown
especially in organizing the music material at that time. He has achieved a lot of composition
success throughout the sixties. In the seventies, the influence of L. Janacek, B. Bartokand A. Webern
can be seen. His compostion is falling to be little unknown nowadays.

There is also another description of him from the Proceedings of the !988 Janaceck conference in Google books.  Here is a link:
http://tinyurl.com/7kscbs2

I cannot find this symphony in the download section. Wii someone please help? Thanks.

jowcol

Sorry.  I may need to slow down.   :-[

I've posted the link in the downloads section-- you should see it as soon as it approved.

fr8nks

Quote from: jowcol on Saturday 11 February 2012, 13:13
Sorry.  I may need to slow down.   :-[

I've posted the link in the downloads section-- you should see it as soon as it approved.

Thanks for your uploads.

Frank

jowcol

Quote from: eschiss1 on Friday 14 October 2011, 16:25
Also re Jàn Zimmer besides the East-Central Europe/Balkan symphonies discography, there is a List of works by Zimmer. I have several of the works listed (symphonies 1-3, 5-11, piano concerto 5, I think. Hope to hear others.)

I have Zimmer's Piano Concertos 1 and 3-- I hope to have them up in a few days.

eschiss1

thanks- of his piano concertos I only have his 5th (and many of his symphonies, and that would be it...)

jowcol

Quote from: eschiss1 on Monday 13 February 2012, 05:59
thanks- of his piano concertos I only have his 5th (and many of his symphonies, and that would be it...)

I've posted 1 and 3-- you should be able to see them after they are approved.  Let me know if you have any trouble with them.

markniew

Hi jowcol,

thank you for the pf ctos 1 and 3 by Jan Zimmer. So far I have had nos 4, 5 and 6.
now only no. 2 is unknown to me. Perhaps you also have this one?

jowcol

Quote from: markniew on Monday 13 February 2012, 20:50
Hi jowcol,

thank you for the pf ctos 1 and 3 by Jan Zimmer. So far I have had nos 4, 5 and 6.
now only no. 2 is unknown to me. Perhaps you also have this one?

I am afraid I don't.

eschiss1

According to a Google cache of Rozhlas.cz/archivy, the year of the Rajter recording they have of the Zimmer piano concerto no.1 is 1973, but don't know about the Holoubek (Holoubeck?) one... Thanks! (Andante con moto/Adagio/Allegretto capriccioso.)

Hrm. While I think I was wrong about only one of his symphonies having appeared on LP- the 7th seems to have also- new recordings would be good, in my honest opinion, and I shouldn't mind hearing the chamber, organ and piano works I see listed besides; I become curious...
Eric

Sydney Grew

Quote from: eschiss1 on Wednesday 07 December 2011, 19:14
I gather the Eugen Suchoň piano quartet is from around 1933. The movements are Allegro moderato , Allegro molto and Lento  (according to Czech Archives APF.)

Yes, and something rather odd is that it is - mistakenly - listed both in Grove's Dictionary and in the Oxford Dictionary of Music as a pianoforte quintet. I wonder how that came about?

Dundonnell

I have just realised that the Psalm of the Carpathian Country by Eugen Suchon uploaded by Elroel had already been uploaded by Sicmu on 2nd August of last year.

Holger

Quote from: Dundonnell on Wednesday 09 May 2012, 02:31
I have just realised that the Psalm of the Carpathian Country by Eugen Suchon uploaded by Elroel had already been uploaded by Sicmu on 2nd August of last year.

Yes, indeed, however the performance seems to be a different one (Janko Blaho as soloist in Sicmu's version, Vilém Přibyl in Elroel's upload). Obviously the piece has been brought out on LP at least twice!

jowcol

The Symphonies  of Ladislav Burlas

After posting a couple of Czech works, it's only fair that I add some Slovenian.  I particularly like the second symphony.

1-3: Symphony 1
"To Meet Man" Words from the poem by J. Kostra
Perf unknown

4-6: Symphony 2
Slovak Philharmonic Orchestra
Bystrik Rezucha, Conductor

From the collection of Karl Miller

I've found a bit of random biographical information in English- I'm curious if any of you can dig up more.

Burlas, Ladislav, Slovak composer and musicologist; b. Trnava, April 3, 1927. He first studied music with Mikulás Schneider-Trnavsky, and then went to Bratislava to pursue training in philosophy, history, and musicology at the Comenius Univ. (1946–51). He concurrently studied composition with Alexander Moyzes at the Cons., and subsequently at the Academy of Music and Drama (1951–55). He later was awarded his C.Sc. degree (1960) and his Dr.Sc. degree (1985). From 1951 he taught in Bratislava at the Teachers' Training Coll., the Comenius Univ., and the Academy of Music and Drama. From 1960 to 1988 he also was active with the Slovak Academy of Sciences, and from 1966 he served as senior lecturer in music theory at the Prague Academy of Music. In 1990 he became a lecturer in the faculty of philosophy in Bratislava, and was named a prof, in 1993. Among his writings are books on J.L. Bella (1953), Alexander Moyzes (1956), contemporary music theory (1978), and the theory of music education (1997). In 1968 and 1980 he won prizes of the Union of Slovak Composers, in 1985 he won the prize of the Ministry of Culture, and in 1988 he won the National Prize of the Slovak Republic.

Read more: Burlas, Ladislav - Music, Slovak, Academy, and Bratislava - JRank Articles
http://encyclopedia.jrank.org/articles/pages/1404/Burlas-Ladislav.html#ixzz1v9agZsX2

ttle

Thanks to jowcol for this Burlas upload! Burlas is, of course, Slovak and not Slovene. An easy confusion indeed! Both countries have no common boundary, their languages are not really mutually intelligible and have a different tonality, yet one has to be "initiated" to tell Slovenska filharmonija (Slovenian Philharmonic) from Slovenská filharmónia (Slovak Philharmonic).

Here are a few more details I found on the Hudobné centrum website about the two symphonies.

Symphony No. 1 was composed in 1984. Its original title is "Stretnúť človeka". The performers for the premiere, who may or may not be the same as in Karl Miller's recording, were the following:
Viktória Stracenská (mezzosoprán), Pavol Mauréry (barytón), Slovenský filharmonický zbor, Slovenská filharmónia / Bystrík Režucha

Symphony No. 2 was completed in 1986. The four parts bear the following tempo indications:
Larghetto; allegro alla breve - Sostenuto - Allegro - Allegro con brio