Latvian music

Started by dafrieze, Saturday 30 July 2011, 01:57

Previous topic - Next topic

dafrieze

Many, many thanks, Latvian, for uploading music by Shalva Mshvelidze.  Here again is another composer of whose name, let alone his music, I was completely ignorant.  The two symphonic poems are really first-rate, beautifully orchestrated and with a very strong profile. 

Latvian

You're very welcome, dafrieze! I wish I had more of his music to share. Anyone else out there have anything?

Sicmu

Yes I have the Symphonic Poem "Zviadauri" by Mshvelidze.

I would be interested in the followings choral/orchestral works by Adolf Skulte, maybe you have them, I actually don't even know if the Riga and Echo cantatas were ever recorded :

Sakta of Freedom", ballet (1950)

"Riga", cantata for mixed chorus and symphony orchestra (1951)

Suite to the ballet "The Brooch of Freedom (Brivibas sakta)" (1956)

"The Forests Rustle (Mezi salc)", ballada for mixed chorus (1964)

"Thunderstorm in Spring", ballet (1967)

Echo (Atbalss)", cantata for mixed chorus and symphony orchestra (1969)

Overture for symphony orchestra (1987)

Thanks  lot for the Rainis anyway.

Holger

I have an LP with the Brooch of Freedom suite (together with the Rainis one) and can upload it in a few days (need to digitalize it).

Regards,
Holger

Latvian

Sicmu, I have everything on your want list except the Riga cantata. Sakta of Freedom and Brooch of Freedom are the same work -- the suite was merely extracted later, and various discs of excerpts have appeared on Melodiya, but never the complete work. Except for Mezi salc, the other recordings I have are live performances, never having appeared on Melodiya.

I'll upload gradually, as time permits.

Sicmu

Thank you for these pieces by A.Skulte, it is a composer I really like. I myself doubt the complete ballet will be recorded in the near future : sadly, even Naxos never finished the Ivanovs Symphonic Cycle.

Holger

I fully agree with Sicmu, many thanks for the Skulte uploads from me as well. Ādolfs Skulte is definitely one of my favourite Latvian composers, he was great in creating atmospheres and moods, I like the rich colours and nuances of his music a lot. There is some kind of golden glance over his music from time to time which is absolutely fascinating in my view, in fact I also think there is a lot of nature in his works, even if this is not as directly pointed out in the title as in case of "Waves" or the Seventh Symphony.

Regards,
Holger

Latvian

Sicmu and Holger, you're very welcome! I have more works which I'll upload when time permits. I agree with you, Holger, regarding the influence of nature. My favorite symphony of his is the 8th, which is influenced by the sea. Two Latvian folksongs dealing with the sea are directly quoted as well, and beautifully woven into the texture of the work.

Christopher

Thanks for this music.  Do you know the performing artists for the Skulte piece called "Waves"?

Latvian

QuoteDo you know the performing artists for the Skulte piece called "Waves"?

Sorry to take so long in responding to your query, Christopher! The recording is from a concert in New York City in 1981, with a pickup orchestra of local professional musicians, conducted by Andrejs Jansons.

Sicmu

Thank you for these further Skulte upload, I really like the Atbalss Cantata : it is beautiful music and reminds me of Delius in places ( as for the  CD with choral/orchestral works by his brother Bruno).

Dundonnell

Many of the symphonies of Janis Ivanovs made it onto disc(Campion Classics and Naxos) but Nos. 6, 7, 9, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  and 21 didn't.

britishcomposer

I have a concert broadcast of Ivanovs No 21, finished by his pupil Juris Karlsons. If anyone is interested I will upload it.

Dundonnell

Quote from: britishcomposer on Friday 09 September 2011, 23:57
I have a concert broadcast of Ivanovs No 21, finished by his pupil Juris Karlsons. If anyone is interested I will upload it.

Yes please :)

Dundonnell