Finnish Music

Started by Mark Thomas, Saturday 30 July 2011, 06:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

Thanks A.S. for Mielck's Piano Concerto which I for one didn't even know existed. The Konzertstuck yes, but not the Concerto. It's obviously a student piece but the first two movements especially show so much promise. What a loss he was. New Grove says that the work is incomplete, so I wonder if this is a reconstruction? The finale has a rather truncated feel to it...

Holger

Hi,

however the work A.S uploaded is definitely the Konzertstück, Op. 9! Probably the station who broadcasted it made a misattribution.

Regards,
Holger

lechner1110

Oh!

Thank you for your correct message.
  My computer's translation ,  Finnish 'Pianokonsert' to English 'Piano concerto'

In any case, I'm sorry that I made some mistakes these days...
  I wish members will enjoy to listen my future uploads.

Regards,

A.S

jerfilm

I have the piano concerto back in Minnesota.  Another upload to remind me of in October.

Jerry

Mark Thomas

Yes, definitely the Konzerstuck - I have the same performance broadcast by BBC Radio 3 in 2004. A shame. An upload of the actual Concerto would be great Jerfilm, when you get home. Thanks.

Alan Howe

Many thanks for Pingoud's very colourful 1st Symphony. I can see why it caused a bit of a stir in Finland back then!

Amphissa

I've added a few more works to the Finnish Music collection.

Responding to the discussion of Melartin in the Composers forum, I've added a string trio by Melartin, along with a string quartet and a work for violin and piano by Viano Raitio.

Also Uuno Klami's Suomenlinna Overture [Sveaborg Fortress Overture] op. 30

Dundonnell

It just keeps getting better and better ;D ;D

Since joining this site I have discovered SO much British music available for download that I NEVER dreamt I would ever hear... and now all three Pingoud symphonies :) :) These have been on my wish list of Finnish music for decades :)

Dundonnell

The Finnish symphonies which have still not been recorded on cd or I have still not been able to find elsewhere and which I would be most keen to hear are:

Kalevi Aho:               Symphony No.6

Aare Merikanto:       Symphonies Nos. 1, 2 and 3

I would imagine that BIS will get round to the Aho 6th eventually but the Merikanto.........?

semloh

A.S. thank you sincerely for these symphonic works; all new to me.  I had never even heard of Pingoud until now - a truly unsung composer - and getting to know his work is going to be a great pleasure.

eschiss1

Not directly related (maybe should go in the other forum, sorry) but assuming Aare can also be spelled Aarre (they could be different people even with the same name exactly of course as I well remember :) ), how is the Finlandia CD that contains two of his violin concertos (probably NLA except at libraries etc. at present, from 1991 (part of it released in 1987)? The conductors' names are promising at least.) (I see there's also an Ondine CD of his piano concertos from 1998...) (hrm. Google Books has a preview of a book (After Sibelius: studies in Finnish music edited by Tim Howell) with some interesting info about the Merikanto symphonies - sym. 1 opus 5 premiered?, with the piano concerto no.1 opus 3, in the first concert of Aarre Merikanto's works in 1914 in Helsinki, which was repeated; another concert, in 1917, in which symphony no.2 was premiered, "received a far less jubilant reception".  Renamed his symphony no.3 Fantasia in 1923, not I think premiered until the 1950s soon before Merikanto's death I think I read somewhere else- not sure.

Arbuckle

Wonderful, wonderful Finnish offerings, thank you so much,  A.S., Amphissa, Latvian. And why do I just greedier for more and more.....

Step One: I am powerless (happily) over unsung music collecting, and my life has become (delightfully) unmanageable...

No disrespect meant.

Alan Howe

Many thanks, A. S., for the uploads of Pingoud and Raitio!

semloh

Thank you, indeed! The Melartin is just gorgeous. Lohdutus is a beautiful little gem, and the melodies of Marionettes just flow effortlessly... I must go back and listen to the symphonies again.

Sicmu

Quote from: Alan Howe on Thursday 08 September 2011, 09:17
Many thanks, A. S., for the uploads of Pingoud and Raitio!

Yes thx a lot, both Pingoud's third and the symphony of Raitio are new to me : do you have by chance A.Merikanto 2 and Karjalainen 3 ?