Finnish Music

Started by Mark Thomas, Saturday 30 July 2011, 06:29

Previous topic - Next topic

lechner1110

Hello Sicmu

I'm grad to hear you enjoy my uploads.
  But sorry, I don't have A.Merikanto 2 and Karjalainen 3.

Who anyone have these?

Best
  A.S

lechner1110

britishcomposer

Special thanks to Hannikainen' concerto.
  This is fine , beautiful work!
  I failed to record this broadcast and disappointed.
  I'm happy to listen!

Thanks again! :D

A.S

eschiss1

the Hannikainen concerto has been recorded commercially but in other performances (I remember a review of it coupled with Sibelius piano pieces, Worldcat lists this possibly no longer available 1991 Finlandia CD. The Satukangas recording is a radio transcription disc only though. :)  Thanks for it (and looking forward to the Ivanovs 21 when I get back and can upload it...)

chill319

What a treasure trove! Have just listened to Melartin's string Trio, a fine specimen of his clear-eyed, expansive, and quite personal voice. Like Sibelius's op. 56, it's not likely to be heard often in concert, so thank you, thank you, thank you.

semloh

A.S. - Ernest Pingoud, La face d'une grande ville (1936-37)...
There is rather more than expected in this download - unless Pingoud has attempted a blatant piece of plagiarism from my choice of "most over-rated composer"!
But the Pingoud is splendid! :)

Sicmu

Quote from: semloh on Saturday 01 October 2011, 12:14
A.S. - Ernest Pingoud, La face d'une grande ville (1936-37)...
There is rather more than expected in this download - unless Pingoud has attempted a blatant piece of plagiarism from my choice of "most over-rated composer"!
But the Pingoud is splendid! :)

The Pathetic Symphony is IMO one of the most beautiful symphonies ever written. Long before Mahler's ninth, Tchaikovsky tried ( and achieved) something really different fom the usual 4 mvt pattern. Not to mention that the most famous finnish composer was really under the influence of the russian master when he was writing his own first symphony.

Dundonnell

Oh my goodness!!

The Aare Merikanto Symphonies Nos. 1 and 3 AND the Aho Symphony No.6 :) :) :)

Thank You so very much :) :)

Sicmu

Thanks a lot for the Merikanto Symphonies !

lechner1110

Both of Merikanto Symphonies,  I feel very nice work!
  Thanks a lot ;)

A.S

eschiss1

Agreed, and Pacius' symphony too- neat!

Mark Thomas

Yes, very many thanks for the Pacius Symphony.

britishcomposer

Jerry, it IS the Concertstück in E minor op. 9 (1898). Moreover it's the same performance which is still aired occasionally...  ;)
Sorry to have caused so much trouble but... well, you have so many rare piano concertos that I thought it were possible! :)

jerfilm

Gosh, we're both disappointed......
sorry.....darn......
Jerry

semloh

britishcomposer - a belated 'thank you' for the Hannikainen Piano Quartet - a thoroughly enjoyable work :) :)

Wiki says:
Hannikainen steered Finnish classical music from late Romanticism towards Impressionism. In addition to his piano miniatures, which best illustrated this development, he composed one opera, one piano concerto, one piano quartet, lieder, and film scores.

Hannikainen drowned during a sailing trip in Kuhmoinen in 1955. Some musical colleagues, like Aarre Merikanto, considered his death a suicide.

Richard Moss

Jerfilm,

Unless I've missed it,, have you had a chance yet to locate the Mielck PC (not the Konzerstuck already uploaded).

Best wishesd

Richard