Finnish Music

Started by Mark Thomas, Saturday 30 July 2011, 06:29

Previous topic - Next topic

jerfilm

Richard i did upload the Concerto only to learn that it was the concertstucke so naturally I withdrew it.  Sorry ~ I was disappointed too.....

Jerry

britishcomposer

Thank you, Atsushi, for the Fabritius VC! I had an old cassette tape and wanted to make a new recording but my internet connection broke down.
Here are the tempo indications of the three movements:

Ernst Fabritius

Violin concerto in D Minor Op. 7

1. Maestoso
2. Larghetto
3. Rondo: Vivace grazioso

Mark Thomas

lechner1110

britishcomposer,  Thanks to post tempo indications of Fabritius.
  I had never been known about this composer, but this is very good romantic style concerto, in my view!

eschiss1

Used Google translate and tweaked it to obtain this attempt at a brief English biography of Fabritius from his Finnish-Wikipedia bio. (A brief list of published works I can attempt to compile at another time...)

Ernst Fredrik Fabritius (July 2, 1842 - October 8, 1899) was a Finnish composer, violinist, and an estate-owner (minor nobleman?).

Fabritius studied at the Leipzig Conservatory from 1857 to 1861. He gave concerts all over Finland successfully, but suddenly stopped his violin-playing career in 1864. He worked as a civil servant in fiscal matters for awhile, but soon moved over to Agriculture.  He continued to play and compose for a hobby.

Fabritius was also a journalist with some notable publications.

Dundonnell

Perhaps of no interest, but I am uploading a recording of

Selim Palmgren(1878-1951)

Suite "Pictures from Finland"

B.B.C. Concert Orchestra(Ashley Lawrence)

BBC broadcast.

eschiss1

Palmgren is certainly of interest- thank you.

semloh

BFerrell

Alba will release new recordings of Merikanto's 1st and 3rd Symphonies next month. YLE has no recordings of the 2nd "War" Symphony from 1918.

lechner1110

Thanks to upload Palmgren's music.
  I have Palmgren's Ballet music ' Cinderella '  and Piano concerto no.3 from radio broadcast recording.
  I will upload these soon.

By the way, I listened Heino Kaski's symphony today.
  This is wonderful symphony!  There are filled with many beautiful melodies!
  One of lovely Finnish symphony for me! Thanks :D

Dundonnell

Quote from: BFerrell on Thursday 17 November 2011, 11:34
Alba will release new recordings of Merikanto's 1st and 3rd Symphonies next month. YLE has no recordings of the 2nd "War" Symphony from 1918.

Thanks for that valuable information :)

Dundonnell

It's hard today to keep track of all the new uploads-a positive torrent in the last 24 hours ;D

...but thanks to Atsushi for the Palmgren :)

semloh

Quote from: Dundonnell on Thursday 17 November 2011, 15:56
It's hard today to keep track of all the new uploads-a positive torrent in the last 24 hours ;D

...but thanks to Atsushi for the Palmgren :)

Hear, hear!
And, thanks to you also Colin, for Palmgren.
:) :)

Dundonnell

Two Aulis Sallinen uploads coming:

Symphony No.1: Halle Orchestra(Okku Kamu): first British performance

Cello Concerto: Arto Noras with the Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra/Jorma Panula: first performance.

thalbergmad

Quote from: A.S on Monday 31 October 2011, 09:46

Ernst Linko  (1889-1960) : Piano concerto no.2 in E major op. 10 (1918-20)

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?c4pj4utd3jjmt7n

Raija Kerppo (piano)
     Finnsih Radio symphony orchestra
     Osmo Vanska(cond)

From Finnish radio Broadcast at 31.Oct.2011

I say, well done that man. I was hoping someone had captured this.

I would love to have a go at this myself, but regretfully me score is under the Christmas tree and I am not allowed to touch it. Me lovely old mum agreed to pay my bill at the FMIC, the downside being I am not allowed to look at the scores until Christmas Day.

What an excellent uplifting work.

Concertingly

Thal