News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Czech folder

Started by dafrieze, Tuesday 02 August 2011, 23:19

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Also, anyone have the Krommer sinfonia (unnumbered) that was broadcast on Czech radio some while back :) (not one of his canonical 8+1 missing, I do believe, but Padrta's worklist, IIRC, does mention some others besides those 9 of which that sinfonia might be one. Wasn't on their Rozhlas-D-dur streaming service, either, I think- a fine and very recommendable channel last I heard it, about which I'm tempted to wax lyrical on another of these subfora ;) ) (subfuna?)

Also by way of "wishlist", Navratil's symphony? :)

gpdlt2010

Anything by his contemporary, Isa Krejci,  will be greatly appreciated!

eschiss1

agreed, have looked at a quartet by Krejci and his music seems very worth hearing.

Latvian

Krejci's Symphony No. 2 in a classic recording by Karel Ancerl was reissued by Supraphon on CD within the past couple of years. I've heard a lot of Krejci, and while most everything is quite worthwhile, the 2nd Symphony is clearly his masterpiece, IMHO. Absolutely dazzling!

I have another excellent performance of the work that I'll upload when time permits, but the Ancerl recording is the one to get.

eschiss1

Forget if I asked- probably did- but some while back, Rozhlas made some recordings of the first 4 Foerster symphonies, not the same recordings (different conductor, for one thing, and a bit before the announcement date, which is less conclusive :) ) as appeared on Orfeo a bit later (don't know if Czech Radio recorded the 5th in this series, though. They used to have a good search page for this- have to look for it again, likewise to find the Krommer un-numbered sinfonia I mentioned elsewhere and when and with whom they recorded that, and its movements/timings.) I did hear some of these radio recordings, since they broadcast them not only over their local classical station 3 but over their station D-Dur (which has a webstream - still, I think, must check, but did at the time.) I don't think these were ever commercially released. Anyone ever tape any of these? :) (The recording date may be too recent, though.)

(Ah. It was conducted by Ondřej Kukal and the Czech (Rozhlas, radio inhouse) Symphony, and  3rd symphony in D op.36 is being broadcast on D-Dur - the streaming station that is - on Tuesday August 30 at 9:37 European time (pm) / 8:37 pm British I think/ 3:37 pm EDT. I will, of course, be at work, and while they usually broadcast things twice at an interval of 20-odd hours apart, I think that -is- the 2nd broadcast :) Well, some other time.)

Latvian

QuoteForget if I asked- probably did- but some while back, Rozhlas made some recordings of the first 4 Foerster symphonies, not the same recordings[...] as appeared on Orfeo a bit later[...] I don't think these were ever commercially released. Anyone ever tape any of these?

Yes, I have #1-3 with Kukal from this group; don't have his #4, though. No, I'm quite sure they were never released commercially.

I'll upload sometime if you like, but it may be a while -- I have some other more pressing matters to attend to this week. I also have Jilek/Brno State PO doing #5 in a non-commercial recording from about the same time. Maybe it was made in lieu of a Kukal #5? Though I don't know why Kukal wouldn't have completed the cycle.

eschiss1

ah, thanks- I heard one of those (Kukal Foerster symphony) broadcasts awhile back as I recall and enjoyed it, so glad to hear!

chill319

The Novak cello sonata is an instant favorite. Thanks, Eric!

eschiss1

More than happy to, and I hope others will be taking it up! Haven't heard the newer performance and recording but I do like this one. I had the accompanying 3rd quartet Op.66 digitized at one point and may still have it, if I can find it will upload that too- I don't think that's on CD anywhere in any recording but will check of course (it was a recording, as i think I mentioned, by the Vlach Quartet in its "earlier incarnation" of course.)

semloh

Thanks to A.S. for the latest Czech downloads!

Radim Drejsl (1923-53) is a new name to me.  For others who may not have encountered him before, his story is a sad one and worth checking out on the web.

In a nutshell, he was a committed communist but was so disillusioned when he saw the conditions in post-war communist states that he killed himself by cutting his wrists and throwing himself from the window of his Prague apartment. He was aged 29. This version has been called into question, however, with suggestions that he was actually murdered by the KGB to prevent him 'going public'.

In 1997, an asteroid was named in his honour, discovered by the Czech astronomer Lenka Kotková.

lechner1110

Dear semloh

Thanks to introduce Drejsl's biography.
  I didn't know about this composers tragic life.
  I also checked wikipedia page myself.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radim_Drejsl
  Thanks. 

A.S

Sicmu

I don't know for you folks but I had trouble with the link provided for Novak's May Symphony ( maybe because it's already fall !), so here is one that worked for me :

http://www.mediafire.com/?0q9wmb8krqdz0bz

thx a lot  to Jerfilm BTW

britishcomposer

Welcome back home, Jerry! :D
Hope you had a good return journey!
And instead of taking things easy you dash away to fill our insatiable ears... ;)
Thanks a lot! Unfortunately the links doesn't work for me, only Sicmu's of the Autumn Symphony does.

May I remind you of a few other 'promises'?  ;)
You said you have some symphonies by Julius Weismann and the Piano Concerto by Ernst Mielck, is that right?
I would be glad if you could upload these sometime in the future!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Just found out that when I click one of you links the address in my browser begins with 'ftp' instead of 'http'. It works when I correct this manually. Strange! ???

Sicmu

Quote from: britishcomposer on Sunday 09 October 2011, 23:05

Thanks a lot! Unfortunately the links doesn't work for me, only Sicmu's of the Autumn Symphony does.

I think you have to change the ftp to http in the download links.

Dundonnell

Wow!!

First Novak's Autumn Symphony and now the May Symphony too :) :)

Splendid ;D