Australian Music

Started by semloh, Friday 12 August 2011, 08:41

Previous topic - Next topic

semloh

Thank you for this superb rarity. As an Australian, I should perhaps be embarrassed that I have never heard of, let alone heard the music of, either composer and even more so when I found a lengthy entry in Wikipedia.  With its brooding Baxian soundworld and finely detailed orchestration, I wonder how a self-taught composer developed such a style. Is the other piece on the record similar in style?

jerfilm

Thanks to Sicmu for the Hughes upload. 

I'm not familiar with many Oz composers, but my favorite is Alfted Hill (1870-1960).   Among other things, I have a recording of what is purportedly Symphony #3 in b subtitled Australia.  But #3 is in Bb and is subtitled the Joy of Life - my favorite of the bunch.  So is the b minor #2? 

Who are other Romantic composers from Australia?   Are they played as little on their home turf as Romantic American composers are here in the US?

Jerry

Mark Thomas

Jerfilm, Hill's Symphony No.2 in E flat is "The Joy of Life". It has a very attractive choral finale. Although I have quite a few of the non-commercially recorded Hill symphonies in my collection, I'm afraid that I don't have a note of any in B minor.

jerfilm

Thanks Mark.  I'm not sure how my database got changed for the Joy of Life.   The choral finale of Symphony #2 that you pointed out  is one of my (many) favorite moments in all of music.  It's melody sounds like some hymn you have heard but you can't put your finger on it.    Probably becuz it isn't a hymn.....

Anyway, I did some internet research and found the 13 symphonys of Hill and they are as follows:

Alfred Hill Symphonys

Symphony # 1 in B – later retitled Maori Symphony
Symphony # 2 in Eb – The Joy of Life
Symphony # 3 in  b  - Australia
Symphony # 4 in c -The Pursuit of Happiness
Symphony # 5 in a – The Carnival
Symphony # 6 in Bb – Celtic
Symphony # 7 in e
Symphony # 8 in A for string orchestra
Symphony # 9 in  E   for string orchestra - Melodious
Symphony #10 in C – Short Symphony with a Beethoven Orchestra
Symphony #11 in Eb for string orchestra – The Four Nations
Symphony #12 in Eb for full orchestra
Symphony #13 in a for string orchestra

Numbers 2-10 have all shown up in one form or another in the last 40 years but I don't find 11,12,13 anywhere. Incidentally, most sources say that any number of his symphonys were reworkings of string quartets.  One reason I that several are only for string orchestra.

Jerry

Mark Thomas

Jerry, I have recordings of Symphonies Nos.12 and 13. If they are of any interest to you, or anyone else, I'll happily upload them.

jerfilm

That would be GREAT, Mark.

I have Fritz Hart's symphonic poem THE BUSH from a broadcast if anyone is interested in that.

Jerry

semloh

Uploads of the Hill 12 and 13 would be greatly appreciated, as I've only ever heard the earlier ones. The 3rd - 'Australian' - includes some beautiful melodies and is a favourite. Clearly Hill loved Australia even though he was a Kiwi and has been called "New Zealand's Dvorak". I haven't heard the ABC broadcast much of his in recent years, with the exception of a sentimental piece for narrator and orchestra entitled "Green Water". The viola concerto can readily be heard on YouTube, ánd has appeared on WRC and HMV/EMI LPs, but there's currently no CD as far as I can tell. Among more recent Australian symphonists, I would note Brenton Broadstock. His five symphonies are stunning works (see Wikipedia entry for CD details)... and I hope he doesn't become an "Unsung Composer" in time to come!

Jim, you posted just as I was sending the above ..... anyway, yes, yes, please!

Mark Thomas

Jerry, Semloh, I'll upload the Symphonies Nos.12 & 13 in the next few days - a busy weekend will get in the way of doing it immediately I'm afraid. Jim, much as I'm sure that Hill would have liked and deserved to have been knighted, I don't think that he ever was. Plain Mr Hill, to you!  :)

Mark Thomas

I've found a few minutes to upload Hill's Symphonies Nos.12 and 13. I also have Nos.1, 2, 8 and 9 of those unavailable commercially if any one is interested, although they would definitely have to wait a few days before upload. Just say the word.

eschiss1

Interested here, thank you. any of Hill's string quartets (only one of which I know of a CD recording of, though parts of nos. 1 and 2 were published in the early 1920s as I recall) too (yes, I know most of the symphonies are related to the quartets, or otherwise to other preexisting works- but I file this under "good to know, interesting information" rather than "makes them boring" if I am being at all clear which I fear I am not... though I'm not sure I've heard even the ones that have been recently commercially available, at that.)? (I note from Worldcat that the early Hill symphonies are being published in new editions from ms., which is all to the good...)

Sicmu

Quote from: semloh on Friday 12 August 2011, 08:41
Thank you for this superb rarity. As an Australian, I should perhaps be embarrassed that I have never heard of, let alone heard the music of, either composer and even more so when I found a lengthy entry in Wikipedia.  With its brooding Baxian soundworld and finely detailed orchestration, I wonder how a self-taught composer developed such a style. Is the other piece on the record similar in style?

The Tahourdin is pretty modern and atonal but I have other orchestral pieces by Hughes, and also by Clive Douglas who composed in the same vein ( at least for one of his periods).

Thx for the Hill symphonies, IMO he is a very conservative composer, more connected with the german tradition than with the english one but his symphonies ( most of them arrangements from String quartets) are enjoyable and I'm looking forward to hearing more of these !

jerfilm

Thanks, much, Mark.  Now only #11 and 1 are missing....

Jerry

Mark Thomas

No problem, Jerry. Unfortunately the Tenth is the only one I don't have. I'll upload Nos.1, 2, 8 & 9 for others, though.

JimL

I may be a Yank, but if I'm not mistaken, Order of the British Empire and knighthood aren't the same.  And you have to be knighted to be called "Sir".

semloh

Jerry, I missed out on welcoming your kind offer of the 'The Bush' by Hart. I think any Australian music by 'unsungs' is like gold dust.... so yes, please. Do by any chance have any Bracanin? It seems the ABC's Eurocentrism - at least as far as recording is concerned - means most Australian composers are destined for obscurity! Easton appeared on Naxos, Broadstock on a Russian (?) label, and so it goes...

I have the Marshall-Hall Symphony in E-flat on an old CD (the obscure 'Move' label!), along with the Adagio from his Symphony in C minor. I'll upload these if anyone is interested, provided I can confirm there are no copyright issues.