Australian Music

Started by semloh, Friday 12 August 2011, 08:41

Previous topic - Next topic

fuhred

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Saturday 13 August 2011, 11:56
I've found a few minutes to upload Hill's Symphonies Nos.12 and 13. I also have Nos.1, 2, 8 and 9 of those unavailable commercially if any one is interested, although they would definitely have to wait a few days before upload. Just say the word.

Wow! You actually HAVE a recording of the Symphony No.1? I too, would love to hear it!

So far, Marco Polo has released Alfred Hill's symphonies 3-7 and 10 with some of the shorter orchestral works.  There are also three volumes of the String Quartets on Naxos. Also, there's a recording of the Horn Concerto with an amateur suburban Sydney orchestra: Hill Horn Concerto. The horn player is very good, but the string players aren't quite so...

Anyone interested might also want to check out YouTube: Symphonies 2 and 8 have been uploaded by quarrion100, as well as the Viola Concerto and the tone-poems The Sea and Linthorpe. And a video of Symphony No.11 is here: Hill Symphony No.11 although apparently you have to be with an educational institution to see it  :( ...very frustrating!

jerfilm

The Bush has been uploaded here:  https://rapidshare.com/files/1179740578/Hart__Fritz_The_Bush_Symphonic_Poem.mp3

I am sorry to report that I have no information on the performers.  It is from an Australian radio broadcast.

Jerry

eschiss1

on the other hand on the scanning-scores side the Australian libraries are doing as well, in my own and not wholly well-informed opinion, by their heritage as the US, France, and some other countries by theirs, judging from the music digitization projects of the NLA, LOC, BNF the last few years...

semloh

Yes, Eschiss1, I agree - rather a good job being done there.

fuhred

I was searching around for details about the Fritz Hart piece when I discovered this webpage from ABC radio (Australia):
Australian Music Performances

There are all sorts of wonderful works by Australian composers here! I am particularly happy to see Eric Gross' gorgeous piece for strings called Moonscape available to hear (you will need either Windows Media Player 11 or Real Player)

Mark Thomas

I've added Alfred Hill's Symphonies Nos.1 & 2 and 8 & 9 to my previous post which had links to recordings of the Symphonies Nos.12 & 13. Unfortunately, I'd forgotten that my recording of No.1 isn't of the full original four movement work, but of a later condensed 17 minute tone poem which Hill made using the same material. If anyone has a recording of the original work (there is one out there, I know) then I'd really appreciate an upload if it's legal to do so.

The same goes for any of these Hill works, performances of which have, I believe, been made (although not commercially):
Cantata: Hinemoa
Commemorative Ode for Choir & Orchestra
Horn Concerto
Overture of Welcome
Drysdale Overture

jerfilm

Gosh, thanks Mark for these additional Hill uploads.  Hope someone has the complete Symphony #1.

Fuhred, the ABC radio site is where The Bush came from, so those are the performers.

TIP:  you can download from all of these sites if you have Movavi Screen Capture - a program which lets you capture whatever part of your screen you desire and then will convert the captured material into the audio (or video) format of your choice.....

Jerry

Latvian

QuoteI'd forgotten that my recording of No.1 isn't of the full original four movement work, but of a later condensed 17 minute tone poem which Hill made using the same material. If anyone has a recording of the original work (there is one out there, I know) then I'd really appreciate an upload if it's legal to do so.

I've uploaded the complete original version of #1, with almost twenty minutes of additional music. Thanks, Mark, for the condensed version, which my collection was lacking -- now we have both versions!

Mark Thomas

Oh, tremendous. Thank you so much. What a wonderful thing the internet can be...

semloh

Thank you indeed for these wonderful Hill recordings, which are a delicious prospect. I'm listening to the 1st as I type and it's a joy. People here are so generous.
Hill is unjustly neglected here in Australia and I fear will remain so, unless the ABC can be persuaded to release a complete set of the symphonies. That would need a high profile champion, which is unlikely since we still import our conductors and directors from overseas and I doubt that they've even heard of him! Home grown conductors and performers feel a need to prove themselves in Europe and with the standard European-Russian repertoire, so no joy there either. How lucky we are to have people on this forum who can nonethless supply us with the music!

eschiss1

As to Australian composers who I hope to hear more of and have actually heard (I have a little from LP or CD that's been sent my way) I'd list- for instance- Margaret Sutherland.

Latvian

Yes! I'd love to hear more Margaret Sutherland as well. Her Violin Concerto and symphonic poem The Haunted Hills are magnificent. I have no non-commercial recordings of her music -- perhaps someone else can help?

I'd also like to hear more Fritz Hart. His symphonic suite The Bush, which has gotten some buzz here lately, is great. I've never heard anything else of his, though.

The Australian website mentioned previously also has a terrific symphony by Alfred Hill's wife, Mirrie Hill. I'd love to hear more of her music as well.

fuhred

I have just uploaded Hill's Viola Concerto, please check the link in the music downloads section

eschiss1

the only work by Sutherland I have besides the violin concerto is, I think, a concerto for strings (NLA mentions they have the manuscript, 1953) and I notice that was semi-recently (2001?) along with the violin concerto released on CD... probably in the same recording I have, at that.

semloh

I am keen to contribute to the downloads folder, but I'm afraid I can't upload the Marshall-Hall Symphony in E-flat as it is still in the catalogue of Move Records. This is a small label based in Melbourne, specializing in Australian composers and their catalogue is well worth a visit:
http://www.move.com.au/result.cfm?style=a