Sung composers that you just "don't get"

Started by Christopher, Monday 15 August 2011, 08:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher

At Alan Howe's request I have moved this to a new topic!

Who are the composers that, while famous and loved around the world, you personally just can't get your head round?  It could just be that you have not listened to the right pieces first.  For example, if your first exposure to Shostakovich was to his String Quartet you would probably run a mile, whereas if you came to him via his piano concertos, jazz suites etc you would then move on to his more challenging works.

In my case, the composers who come (broadly speaking) from the period that I love that I just don't get are Stravinsky, Mahler (with the exception of his 5th Symphony), Glazunov (so bland! And I am a Russianist) and Miaskovsky.  Maybe I just haven't listened to the right pieces first?  In another string, people here have suggested Miaskovsky's 21st Symphony as the way into his music. 

So, who are the sungs that you can't appreciate, and what pieces do others suggest as a remedy?

Alan Howe

Apart from the early VC and the monstrous PC (which I admire rather than love), I cannot get into Busoni at all. Can anyone help me?

kolaboy

Gershwin. Can't bear a single note of his music.

giles.enders

Bruckner, it is interminable. From 00 to 9 it just goes on like a running tap.

FBerwald

Reger, Reger and Reger.... No matter How many time I try. I dont; Get him..
Also...(and please forgive me for saying this)... I don't get the hype about Bruckner.. except for his Symphony No. 4 and 6.. 

febnyc

Gareth Vaughan

I find Glazunov's symphonies rather bland, but I suspect I should try harder. There must be plenty to enjoy in them. I have tried very hard with Reger and I appreciate his masterly contrapuntalism, BUT, in the end, his music (for the most part) simply fails to engage me emotionally - and ultimately I get to the point where I say "I just don't care..."  For me, this is especially true of his organ works which seem to my ears to be monuments of dullness - quite loud dullness too sometimes. But I have an organist friend who thinks they are wonderful and can't understand my disenchantment.

eschiss1

A whole range of light and ballet music, for example Offenbach.  Though Glazunov's ballet, for example, "Les ruses d'Amour" almost redeems the genre for me, not to mention Tchaikovsky's!

Rainolf

My top candidate: Richard Strauss. Ok, "Metamorphosen" is one of the best works ever written for string orchestra, the early string quartet isn't bad. But the most works between... Strauss was a great technician, but I can't find much inspiration in his music. The tone poems mostly seem to me soulless, cold, superficial virtuoso stuff for orchestra, without truely symphonic energy. It's hard to imagine for me, that this composer is sung, and not, eg. Hausegger, Reznicek, Friedrich Klose, who are far greater masters in my opinion.

ArturPS

Grieg is at the top of my list. Why is that Peer Gynt suite so famous???

Christopher

Quote from: giles.enders on Monday 15 August 2011, 10:24
Bruckner, it is interminable. Form 00 to9 it just goes on like a running tap.

Symphony No.4 was my way into Bruckner, and then his masses.... Which Bruckner have you listened to?

Christopher

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Monday 15 August 2011, 13:38
I find Glazunov's symphonies rather bland, but I suspect I should try harder. There must be plenty to enjoy in them. I have tried very hard with Reger and I appreciate his masterly contrapuntalism, BUT, in the end, his music (for the most part) simply fails to engage me emotionally - and ultimately I get to the point where I say "I just don't care..."  For me, this is especially true of his organ works which seem to my ears to be monuments of dullness - quite loud dullness too sometimes. But I have an organist friend who thinks they are wonderful and can't understand my disenchantment.

Interesting that you also use the word "bland" to describe Glazunov!  I like his symphonic poem Stenka Razin (Op.13), it's very dramatic, but that's about it.

Amphissa

Mozart zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Haydn, Handel, Vivaldi  zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Liszt, Prokofiev, Shostakovich  grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Mark Thomas

Bach, Handel, Haydn, Mozart, Franck, Bruckner (overall, but not individual movements), Shostakovich...

Alan Howe

Handel, definitely.
Webern, non-early Schoenberg.
Hovhannes (don't get me started!)
Birtwistle, Boulez, Messiaen and most 'important music' written post-1960 (if it's 'important', it's probably just incomprehensible and intolerable noise.) There are of course exceptions. But not many.