Swiss music

Started by eschiss1, Monday 22 August 2011, 09:06

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

re Swiss music and Levy in particular, checking conductor Cuendet (not Cuendel)'s homepage bio, wanted to add that the Levy recording was made in 1983 (it's the first item in his discography). Thanks for including the scans of the LP, btw!

X. Trapnel

I thought I had all the Levy symphonies that had been released of the Opus One label but now I recall that I was unable to find no. 11 even shortly after its release. It's wonderful to have no. 15 (my favorite) at last.

Gareth Vaughan

Does anyone have Suter's Violin Concerto, please?

Alan Howe

eschiss1

I'd like to hear one of Friedrich Hegar's works (a few are available in score at IMSLP)- his quartet or cello concerto, say. Two of his opus 14 waltzes, from a 78 (reissued on LP on "Masters of the Bow MB 1020"), have been broadcast on BBC played by Henri Marteau (or at least are in the BBC archive- perhaps part of that LP has been broadcast but not the Hegar, perhaps none of it has.)

jerfilm

I have the Violin Concerto on an old cassette if you don't find what you're looking for.   Or want a less expensive alternative..... :-[

Jerry

eschiss1

Suter's or Hegar's? (I know Hegar wrote a ballade for violin and orchestra, he may have written a concerto too... ah yes, I remember- his opus 3 in D, published by André ca.1875, reviewed in the Monthly Musical Record Nov.1 that year.). Haven't seen it, but Worldcat mentions it a few times.)

jerfilm

Suter's.  I have nothing by Hegar at all!!

Jerry

eschiss1

Nothing by Hegar? How horrible (ok, since the comic strip postdates him, I'm guessing he fortunately did not get a lot of that during his lifetime.)

Dundonnell

Othmar Schoeck's Cantata "Vom Fischer un Syner Fru" is about to be added.

I could also upload the Schoeck Violin Concerto in the LP recording by Ulrich Lehmann??

lechner1110

Of course, I hope violin concerto by Schoeck! thanks :D

Dundonnell

Quote from: A.S on Saturday 19 November 2011, 02:17

Of course, I hope violin concerto by Schoeck! thanks :D

Ok, Atsushi.  .....and you will get a recorded introduction to the piece read by me ;D ;D

lechner1110

Thanks Colin!  I'm looking forward to it with listening Symphonies by Arnell , Bate and other  :)

jowcol

I've posted Symphony 3 by Swiss Composer Andor Kovach (originally born in Hungary) .

details from: http://www.pizzicato.ch/biografie_detail.php?id=143&lang=e

Swiss composer born in Erdely (Transilavania), one of Hungary's oldest regions, annexed to Romania since the First World War. His studies: matriculation with Latin and Greek in Budapest. Diplomas in composition, choir directing and conducting, musical education, all from the Ferenc Liszt Academy in Budapest. His teachers: Zoltan Kodaly, whose assistant at the Music Academy he became, Belà Bartok, with whom he studied composition privately. Bardos, Vaszi, Zalanfy, Clemens Krauss for conducting and H. Swarowsky in Vienna and Salzburg. Has conducted many orchestral and choral works since age eighteen. Composed the theatre music for the piece Bibracte by Swiss author A.Schwengeler and conducted it at the National Theatre in Budapest. In 1947 he was named founding-professor at the National Conservatory in Saarebruck (whose staff included W.Gieseking, M. Gendron, E.Steckel, Paul Tortellier). In 1951 he founded and became conductor of the Youth Symphony orchestra in San Paulo (Brazil), with which he made many tours of America. Invited by E. van Beinum to become chief assistant conductor of the Amsterdam Concertgebouw, his lack of the Dutch nationality prevented him from accepting the post. He then settled in Brussels, becoming the founder and permanent conductor of the National Youth orchestra of Belgium. Taught and lectured at Louvain University. Gave a series of lectures and radio talks about Hungarian music which were broadcast by radio stations in Brussels, Paris, Anvers, Hilversum, Stockholm, Rome and Vienna. Conducted other great European orchestras (Belgium, Holland, France, Spain, Germany, Luxemburg, Switzerland, etc.), while steadily composing works that have been performed in most European countries. He settled in Switzerland in 1961, upon his nomination as professor of composition, analysis and orchestration at the Lausanne Conservatory, and composed, among others, two works commissioned by Dr. Paul Sacher. In 1964 he was awarded the Reine Marie-José Composition Prize. His opera Médée was premiered by Radio Genève and performed in Germany, at the Théâtre Graslin in Nantes and by the ORTF in a Paris concert, then in Hungary and New York by the Radio. The premiere of his First Concerto for piano and orchestra was conducted by E. Ansermet, and his works performed at festivals in Divonne, Nancy and Paris, in Scandinavian countries up to Helsinki and, from 1975, in the United States. In 1978 he was called to Boston where for four years he taught composition, analysis and orchestration at the famous Massachussets Institute of Technology and at the Boston Conservatory. A period of intense musical activity followed, during which he composed many works (including an opera Le Rendez-Vous which he conducted many times), gave numerous lectures at various State Universities and broadcasts talks. In 1983 he returned to his home in Lausanne, where he now lives and pursues his compositional career.  (Note—he died in 2005)

rbert12

Many thanks Dundonnell and britishcomposer for both Conrad Beck works!.
I recorded many years ago (and very badly!) the beginning of the symphony and I have always wanted to listen it in full.
Best regards