Swedish music

Started by cjvinthechair, Sunday 04 September 2011, 15:43

Previous topic - Next topic

cjvinthechair

Can't tell you how much I enjoy browsing this site, finding many composers quite unknown to me, more details on those I'm just beginning to learn a little about, and of course the marvellous downloads section.
Since a good few of my new composer acquaintances are Swedish, I looked amongst the download topics for a Swedish section, but unless I'm being even dimmer than usual, haven't spotted one. So much else IS up there that I wonder if there's some good reason for its absence, or maybe I can prevail on someone to start one.
Many thanks to everyone who, however unwittingly, is contributing to my belated musical education. It's a joy, really, to visit the site !

eschiss1

I think there are some recordings of unrecorded Swedish works (and recorded works in unavailable performances) out there, so such a folder could be started. I've heard a really good Segerstam broadcast of Pettersson's 4th symphony myself (my digitized version is incomplete though I might be able to fix that at some point), also a violin concerto by a Melcher Melchers (1882-1961), some other things I think...

britishcomposer

"a Melcher Melchers" - Eric do I understand you rightly: do you have a recording of Melcher's Concerto? I ADORE him! His String Quartet op 17 is one of the finest pieces of scandinavian chamber music I know. A lot of Franck and Ravel is obvious but I am probably the only one who detects hints of Malipiero as well. Nevertheless, this is a gorgeous piece. The Sonatas for violin and cello are also fine. Haven't heard his Symphony yet though I have a broadcast from SR2 with Tor Mann somewhere I think. He was the teacher of Erland von Koch who liked him very much.

X. Trapnel

Melcher Melcher's Symphony in D minor and Piano Concerto no. 2 are available on Phono Suecia (PSCD 717); I haven't heard them in a while but will do so now.

eschiss1

Re the Melchers violin concerto- I find I do have a digitized version , lacking performer information, after all; and as I listened I remembered, it's wonderful and distinctive (the main finale theme and its harmonization for example.) Especially if I can find information on who's performing (I may have that somewhere...) and assuming I haven't missed an available recording of it somewhere (maybe under Svensson instead of Melchers) I'll upload it...

Dundonnell

CPO is working its way through a cycle of Natanael Berg's symphonies. The only one of Berg's five which has not been recorded at all is, I believe, No.5 "Trilogia delle passioni".

CPO is also shortly(?) about on embark on a cycle of Edvin Kallstenius's five symphonies.

...but what we don't have anywhere yet are Hilding Rosenberg's Symphonies Nos. 1, 7 and 8..........

lechner1110

Hello Dundonnell

I have the recording of Natanael Berg's 5th.
  This recording is old archive of swedish radio, but sound is not so bad. 

I recorded archive of swedish radio from this spring.

Example
  Karl-Birger Blomdahl, Symfoniska danser (Symphonic dances)
  Moses Pergament, Piano concerto
  Sixten Eckerberg: Piano Concerto No. 1 (1943)
  Adolf Wiklund: Symphony (1922)
  Stig Rybrant: Symphony no.1 e-moll (1940)

I will upload in future.

Best
  A.S

Dundonnell

Dundonnell

Thank you very much for Natanael Berg's Symphony No.5 :)

...and for Hilding Rosenberg's 5th :)

I have the Rosenberg in the old recording made by the composer in 1944. It is fantastic to hear it now in modern sound quality ;D

cjvinthechair

:) Terrific - Swedish music downloads lives ! Many thanks - hope perhaps folk will find many more.      Clive.

semloh

A.S. Thank you for Berg's 5th symphony - powerful stuff!

eschiss1

Surprisingly, Big Ben Music (which also recorded Tubin's 7th symphony I recall not as part of a complete set...) has a recording of Eckerberg's 1st concerto (opus 5) and 3rd (different performing forces though. Available via Amazon in the US.)  First concerto movement listings given as Allegro moderato - Lento - Allegro spiritoso.

Also, I gather from a Worldcat search that the violist's name is Renzo Sabatini, not Sabatina. :) Sabatini has edited a lot of viola works from the classical era. And I agree- thank you very much indeed!!

eschiss1

Also, the movement headings of the Rybrant symphony 1 are (courtesy of FreeLibrary of Philadelphia)
1: Andante, ma molto sostenuto - Allegro moderato
2: Andante sostenuto
3: Allegro vivace con spirito.

Instrumentation is given as (in the usual shorthand)
2-fl (1-pc, II), 2-ob, 2-cl, 2-bn, 4-hn, 3-tpt, 3-trb, 1-tb, tmp, prc, hp, str.

eschiss1

Thanks for adding to the info on the Rosenberg concerto - appreciated!

Greg K

Quote from: A.S on Thursday 15 September 2011, 00:10

Hilding Rosenberg: Violakonsert (1942)   

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?l06pp3taxgbii92

Solist: Renzo Sabatina
    Orkester (detail unknown)
  Conductor: Carlo Maria Giulini.
    Recording 1946.

Broadcast at 5.Sep.2011 from Swedish radio

This recording is the 1945 version of Rosenberg's Concerto with Renzo Sabatini & the Rome Radio Orchestra.  Tempo designations are:

I     Moderato - Allegro assai
II    Andante
III   Allegro Energico