Swedish music

Started by cjvinthechair, Sunday 04 September 2011, 15:43

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Certainly the stunning (in my honest opinion- I wish I had the whole broadcast digitized from my copy of the tape instead of having the last minute missing; I'd upload it in a trice) Segerstam broadcast of the A.P. 4th is one positive, excellent reminder of - a whole range of "such things"...

eschiss1

I haven't heard Frank's 1988 recording of the opus 40 Norman 2nd symphony (and the concert overture, etc.) for comparison but it's good to have the new broadcast of the symphony (and also the Pettersson, the Stenhammar works, etc. etc. ...! ) Thanks again.

eschiss1

The "Melchers violin concerto" I attributed to Melchers on the basis of my memory of the material sent me with the tapes it arrived on- erm... ok, horrible grammar. I am informed it may actually be by Friedrich Mehler (1896-1981). At the moment I realize on reflection no reason to know who it's by at all- for example - searches for a Melchers violin concerto only turned up the claim that he wrote one in 1927, not anything more about it, nor whether or not it was published or who by - etc. ...- and I am putting the section on Mediafire in "private" and removing the link until this can be clarified some.

violinconcerto

I listened to your "Melchers" recording and I can say that it is the Mehler violin concerto No.2!

Best,
Tobias

britishcomposer

Oh, how embarrassing - for me, I mean!  :-[ ;)
I even thought to hear some 'typical stylistic traits'...  ;D ;D ;D

Never heard of Mehler before, so thanks for a new Swedish(-German) composer! :D

Tobias, do YOU probably have a recording of the Melchers?

violinconcerto

I unfortunately had to find out that "my" Melchers recording was the Mehler as well...  :(
So, no Melchers recording at all.

Best,
Tobias

eschiss1

at least we now know what it is (I'll make it public on mediafire again, and maybe move it to a different folder on mediafire and here - reposting/re-requesting moderation - soon. )

Dundonnell

Does anyone out there possess a copy of the Caprice LP CAP1283 which contains Rosenberg's Symphony No.8 'Sinfonia Serena' and Cello Concerto No.2(Ola Karlsson(cello) with the Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra(Stig Westerberg), recorded in 1982/83?

This has never been transferred to cd and is the only recording of either work.

M. Henriksen

Quote from: eschiss1 on Sunday 25 September 2011, 17:41
from a 1923 Swedish Journal of Musicology about the Wiklund symphony op.20 someone wrote-
"Den hade den egendomligheten att sakna egentlig final; som sådan fick den scherzo-artade tredje satsen gälla."
"three movements" or "third movement" I get, scherzo-something, the rest...

The translation: "Wiklund's Symphony had the peculiarity of not having a real finale, the scherzo-like third movement had to fill that role."

Something like that!

Morten

Sicmu

Quote from: Dundonnell on Saturday 08 October 2011, 17:04
Does anyone out there possess a copy of the Caprice LP CAP1283 which contains Rosenberg's Symphony No.8 'Sinfonia Serena' and Cello Concerto No.2(Ola Karlsson(cello) with the Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra(Stig Westerberg), recorded in 1982/83?

I have this LP and will upload it in a few days

Dundonnell

Quote from: Sicmu on Sunday 09 October 2011, 16:59
Quote from: Dundonnell on Saturday 08 October 2011, 17:04

I have this LP and will upload it in a few days

Bless you :) :)

eschiss1

Thanks! I've seen the score of the revised Rosenberg symphony 8 which I think is still at the local university library (did not know there was an earlier version with chorus- or a recording).

Dundonnell

Thank you very much indeed for the Rosenberg Symphony No.8 and Cello Concerto No.2 :)

It really is quite astonishing that the man who was once hailed as the "Doyen of Swedish Composers"should still not have an integral symphonic cycle on cd.
Symphonies Nos. 1 and 7 have never even made it to disc. Neither has the Cello Concerto No.1 while the Violin Concerto No.1 is only available in an ancient recording conducted by the composer.

erato

or that BIS when they at last did something, couldn't tthink of anything better than tto rerecord two otherwise available symhonies!

Holger

A while ago (shortly after the release of the BIS disc with Rosenberg's Symphonies Nos. 3&6) I asked BIS whether there are plans to record the rest of Rosenberg's symphonic cycle. Unfortunately, this is not the case, they said that they originally intended to do so but that for 'different reasons' (not specified any further) it wouldn't be possible.

I once got a disc with Rosenberg's Symphonies Nos. 1&7 from another collector, sadly the files appeared to be damaged so that I cannot help either.