News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

French Music

Started by Sicmu, Saturday 10 September 2011, 17:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Sicmu

Thanks to Latvian for his upload, actually the INA (a kind of french MIC) is doing a great job in making a lot of neglected french music available at low price, for instance a Symphony by Martinet can be found here :

http://boutique.ina.fr/audio/PHD07008870/jean-louis-martinet-symphonie-en-hommage-a-jean-philippe-rameau-creation.fr.html

Arbuckle

Added several French pieces from LPs, no rhyme or reason, just what I have accumulated over the years.

lechner1110

Dear Arbuckle

Thank you very much for your precious collections.
  Especially, the music of Abbiate Louis, I hope to listen long time.
  Huge thanks again!

Regards

A.S

gpdlt2010

An embarrassment of riches!
Many thanks, Arbuckle!
P.S.: Last time I listened to the Bondon Concerto de Mars (an old RCA LP),it was coupled with Castelnuovo-Tedesco's rarely heard Quintet for Guitar (Manuel Lopez Ramos & The Parrenin Quartet). Does anyone know whatever became of that guitarist?

Latvian

QuoteJacques Chailley(1910-1999)

Symphony (No. 1) in G minor (1942-47)

A worthy addition -- that first movement never fails to energize me!

eschiss1

BTW a recording of Martinon conducting the 2nd symphony with almost but not quite the same total timing - but conducting the Chicago symphony - was released in 1997 by the Chicago Symphony as part of a tribute to the conductor/composer. I am sure they are different performances (this last was most likely a never-issued-before 1997 recording in fact?) and doubt it's still available, and based on the Martinon works in score at IMSLP hope more of his music will be recorded anycase (I have seen a few chamber works appear in the last few years, anyway, though none of the string quartets unfortunately?.)

Latvian

The CSO recording of Martinon's 2nd Symphony is also without theremin, from what I've read.

eschiss1

Re Gédalge - the symphony no.3 (in F, not D minor) is at IMSLP, which should help with the movement titles problem. See http://imslp.org/wiki/Symphony_No.3_(G%C3%A9dalge,_Andr%C3%A9). Glad to have this and the concerto (also uploaded at IMSLP) to hear! (Though your movement titles for the concerto are quite different from "ours" (those at IMSLP) - which are
Moderato maestoso
Andante
Allegro poco a poco accelerando. )

eschiss1

Here are the quatre parties ;) of the Gédalge symphony no.3 in F major (en quatre parties) as they appear on the score :  (I assume we are speaking of the same work, though it is D major in the files and D minor in the description thereof , and was published and premiered, not composed, in 1910- it was composed in 1908. I have the score in front of me so will know soon enough. Movements in F major, C minor, F major and F minor, I think- will check.)

Allegro
Adagio sostenuto è malinconico
Allegretto non troppo vivo
Molto vivace, con fuoco

(As to the concerto in C op.16 again: it was premiered and arranged by 1900 and 1901 respectively, Falcke having died in the latter year, but was composed most likely ca. 1899 (I forget, the exact information may even be available...).)

lechner1110

Hello Ilja.

Thanks to upload André GEDALGE's music.
  I enjoyed to listen these very much!
  I'm very interest to listen French rare symphonic music, but these are difficult to listen today.
  Thanks a lot again for these treasure recordings.

Best  A.S

oldman

Are there any recordings of the Emmanuel Moor symphonies out there?

lechner1110

Oh! I hear Emmanuel Moor's name first time. So I checked wikipedia.
  He composed 8 Symphonies! Very interesting :o

jerfilm

Several of Moor's Cello Sonatas are available on CD or for download.   The only other thing I've ever seen is a Concerto for two cellos and orchestra,  opus 69 which I have on cassette tape.  Would certainly like to hear those symphonies.

Jerry

eschiss1

what I've seen of his music on IMSLP (some of which I've transferred from Sibley, I admit) looks very good to me.  I'd like to hear one of the string quartets but gather they're on the rather difficult side of things! However, there is a recording at IMSLP of his early serenade (played by Steve's Bedroom Band). Nice (brief) piece. (Bit the digression since he's Hungarian, not French!) Same cassette tape of those terrific concerts that also had works by Busoni, Reznicek, etc. I assume? :) http://www.worldcat.org/title/forgotten-romantics/oclc/32645509&referer=brief_results - link (not a  commercial release)

Dundonnell

Andre Jolivet's three Symphonies were recorded on 3 Lyrinx LPs in 1984. The Third Symphony has made it to cd and I have a copy.

Has anybody got Nos. 1 and 2 by any chance?  I have to ask ;D