News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

French Music

Started by Sicmu, Saturday 10 September 2011, 17:06

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

If I could -find- the broadcast recording I had (may still have somewhere around- it's on my iPod and doesn't disappear when synched, which is odd, but it's not on my computer's HD anymore) of Koechlin's 2nd symphony op.196 I'd upload that... :)

lechner1110

Latvian

I also misunderstood your note!

I understand now. No problem. Thanks ;)

Atsushi

Dundonnell

Quote from: eschiss1 on Monday 17 October 2011, 14:12
If I could -find- the broadcast recording I had (may still have somewhere around- it's on my iPod and doesn't disappear when synched, which is odd, but it's not on my computer's HD anymore) of Koechlin's 2nd symphony op.196 I'd upload that... :)

Please find it! ;D

lechner1110

Thanks a lot Latvian to upload many rare French symphonic works!

Atsushi

Latvian

QuoteIf I could -find- the broadcast recording I had (may still have somewhere around- it's on my iPod and doesn't disappear when synched, which is odd, but it's not on my computer's HD anymore) of Koechlin's 2nd symphony op.196 I'd upload that...

Interesting you should mention Koechlin... I was planning to do both Koechlin symphonies for one of my next uploads. Don't worry if you can't find it, I'll take care of it.

eschiss1

Latvian - which Koechlin symphonies? There's a 1st symphony Op.57bis (possibly skippable?- arrangement of the 2nd string quartet), the 7 Stars Symphony, a Symphony of Hymns, a symphony no.2 op.196,  I suppose that's already four... most of them mostly arrangements/combinations of pre-existing material (the 2nd symphony included, only one of its movements entirely new, but still... combines in one place otherwise orchestrations of works of his I'd never heard of like the fugue on a subject by Ernest le Grand, and sounds characteristic). But that said and no matter what and nevertheless and etc. :) - thanks!!!
Re Barraine's 2nd symphony- the movements are 1. Allegro vivace -- 2. Marche funèbre: Lento -- 3. Finale: Allegretto.  (Hrm. Very interesting biography of her as a resistance fighter if I understand?... not going to force an interpretation of the Marche funèbre and the 1938 year, though.)

Latvian

QuoteLatvian - which Koechlin symphonies?

Symphony No. 1, Op. 57bis, and Symphony No. 2, Op. 196

The 7 Stars Symphony has been available long enough commercially, but I've never heard the Symphony of Hymns. Anyone have it?

Dundonnell

Quote from: Latvian on Tuesday 18 October 2011, 15:53
QuoteLatvian - which Koechlin symphonies?

Symphony No. 1, Op. 57bis, and Symphony No. 2, Op. 196

The 7 Stars Symphony has been available long enough commercially, but I've never heard the Symphony of Hymns. Anyone have it?

The 1st and 2nd Symphonies :)

That's exciting :) Every day on here seems to bring fresh joy ;D ;D

eschiss1

Koechlin sym. 2: Op.196 (1943-4) Premiered Aug. 29 1952 by the Orquestra Sinfonica Naçional under Jose Pablo Moncayo.
I Fugue (arr. of Fugue sur un sujet d'Ernest le Grand, op. 126) (7'55" in the recording I had - still on my iPod but unrecoverable far as I know, making this a better idea...)
II Scherzo (l'âme libre et fantasque) (based on themes from the suite for Cor anglais) (11'41" likewise.)
III Suite of six chorales (Requête à l'inconnaissable - Aegri somnia (from op.90a, 1924) - Pour la consolation des pauvres âmes (op.111/7, 1929. Strings and harp) - Les Goëlands sur la Mer - Berceuse marine (op.109/4, 1929) - Vers la cime)
IV Fugue on a Theme of Catherine Urner (from op.114)
V Finale (new to the symphony, not an arrangement.) (III-IV-V totalling 22'13" in the recording I had.)

Discussed in Orledge, "Charles Koechlin (1867-1950): his life and works", e.g. on page 200. ? because a lot of it is no longer under Google's Preview-view and I don't have the book :) Also see e.g. http://classik.forumactif.com/t3654-koechlin-les-symphonies.
Since there are in fact five movements to the symphony, not four, not sure how they correspond to the four on your mp3s, but will check. I had the same issue (actually, I think I had three mp3s, not four, my last being Suite of Chorales - Fugue - Finale, with unknown prov., conductor, etc. ...)

Latvian

eschiss1, thanks for the incredible detail on Koechlin's 2nd! I didn't realize there were in fact 5 movements, so I'll be glad to know how my 4 tracks correspond. When I received this recording from a friend a number of years ago, this is the format it was in, so he was clearly unaware of the numbering discrepancy as well.

Dundonnell

Absolutely delighted to hear that the two Koechlin symphonies have been made available :)

Wonderful news. Thank you :) :)

lechner1110

Thanks for Koechlin.
  Amazing recordings!

Also Thanks a lot to Elsa Barraine's symphony by my request.
  I'm happy now :D

Atsushi

TerraEpon

I dunno where the problem is, but the Koechlin Symphony 2 download page (the actual DL page on Mediafire) triggers my Avast as a trojan horse, and it doesn't load the link. Mediafile pages have never done this before.

Latvian

QuoteI dunno where the problem is, but the Koechlin Symphony 2 download page (the actual DL page on Mediafire) triggers my Avast as a trojan horse, and it doesn't load the link.

Sorry, I have no idea why there's a problem for you. I just linked to the file myself and downloaded it with no difficulty. If you continue to have a problem, perhaps I can reupload it for you on a different link.

semloh

The Casadesus is - well, dare I say - very French! ;)  I mean eccentric in that spikey Satie-esque sort of way.   :o

I find the Quintet a very strange kettle of fish.  It sounds like he was having fun, but sometimes it's at the expense of the listener!

Do others agree? What is your reaction to this music?
Does it reflect the chamber music of other European composers of the 20s and 30s?
Am I missing something?    ??? ???