Bortkiewicz' Violin Concerto and Cello Concerto

Started by Ilja, Friday 04 September 2009, 08:33

Previous topic - Next topic

AndrewC

jimmosk

Thank you very much!
By the way, the aforementioned aficianado is Bhagwan Thadani, who has not only written about and published scores of Bortkiewicz's, but recorded many CDs of his music (including synthesized versions of these concertos and his Russian Rhapsody for Orchestra)
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classRev/2000/mar00/thadani.htm

--
Jim Moskowitz
The Unknown Composers Page:  http://kith.org/jimmosk/TOC.html
My latest list of unusual classical CDs for auction:  http://tinyurl.com/jimmosk

Peter1953

These VC and CC recordings seem to be an Ukrainian bootleg, and are not coming from Bhagwan Thadani.
Originally it was a gift from Wouter Kalkman, producer of the 3 double Cd's with Bortkiewicz piano music (if you love Bortkiewicz, these are warmly recommended) and the creator of www.bortkiewicz.com
We are very grateful to Wouter Kalkman for that disc and to Ilja, who made it possible for us to download these delightful concertos. Let's hope these concertos get a commercial recording in the near future.

rkhenderson

Sorry to ask again, but I too would love to hear these works. The links don't appear to
function any more. Any chance they could be restored? Thanks.
  Robert

Ilja

Hi, that's strange. The files are still there and when I test them they work. Could you tell me what goes wrong?

jerfilm

Late August 2010 - the links are working fine.   My first try at the VC first movement got me a 130KB download but the second try netted the whole 20megs.  Thanks so much Ilja

Ilja

Bortkiewicz Service Announcement:

Because I decided to drop the FTP space connected to the domain I hosted the Bortkiewicz violin and cello concertos on, I have had to move them to a new location. Click here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/314182/bort.zip to download a zipped file containing both concertos.

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteBhagwan Thadani, who has not only written about and published scores of Bortkiewicz's, but recorded many CDs of his music (including synthesized versions of these concertos and his Russian Rhapsody for Orchestra)

And very nasty they are too, I'm sorry to say.

Rob H

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Monday 06 September 2010, 16:35
QuoteBhagwan Thadani, who has not only written about and published scores of Bortkiewicz's, but recorded many CDs of his music (including synthesized versions of these concertos and his Russian Rhapsody for Orchestra)

And very nasty they are too, I'm sorry to say.
Yes indeed. I admire the range and research that he has done but the concertos disc and sampler that I have are nearly unbearable to listen to and are full of mistakes in any case i.e. octaves where one note has been flattened or sharpened and the other hasn't. The kind of things that programmes like "Sibelius" or "finale" are apt to do if you're not careful.

Gareth Vaughan

thalbergmad

I thought the DVD was a little better, but is so long since i watched it I cannot be sure.

The recordings are pretty horrid but the man deserves a medal for the work.

Thal

Kevin Pearson

Hi guys!

I was wondering if anyone could repost the Berkowitz concertos? My Sony desktop bit the dust after a long life and I lost all my files. I loved listening to those on a regular basis and miss them very much. If anyone could help it would be appreciated.

Kevin

JimL

Try burning them to CD so you have a backup this time. 

Kevin Pearson

Quote from: JimL on Saturday 18 September 2010, 21:35
Try burning them to CD so you have a backup this time.

Well Jim...I know that would have been the smart thing to do but even burning is no guarantee. I have a whole lot of CD-Rs that I burned with backups which no longer play. I had everything on my PC backed up to an external drive but unfortunately my external was the first thing to show signs of problems and died about three days before my PC did. I am assuming that I was a victim of a recent thunderstorm. In any case a thousand dollars later I'm back in business.

Kevin

Ilja

Burning CDs or even DVDs takes far too long for my 300GB+ music collection - never mind about restoring the bunch.

I did have a hard drive failure in late 2006; most of it I recovered from CDs here and there, but it did teach me to take backups seriously. Now, everything goes to an external hard drive and most of my critical stuff (documents, photos and recordings unavailable in the commercial circuit) goes to my Dropbox. Still no absolute guarantee, but it goes a long way.