Bortkiewicz' Violin Concerto and Cello Concerto

Started by Ilja, Friday 04 September 2009, 08:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

I don't keep anything important on any sort of hard drive at all - without burning to CD, that is. Call me old-fashioned...

Kevin Pearson

Well, as I stated above I have a lot of CDs that I burned several years ago that now won't play. So CDs are not any more reliable than hard drives, in fact I would even say less so. I think the likelihood of losing your external and internal drives within days of each other is pretty low and I do think backing up to an external is much safer and more reliable than CDs.

In any case I guess nobody is willing to host the Bortkiewicz files again so I can hear them again?

Kevin

JimL

I may be able to copy the CD someone sent me into my iTunes and then send it to you via WeTransfer.  Would that work for you?

Kevin Pearson

Quote from: JimL on Wednesday 22 September 2010, 00:41
I may be able to copy the CD someone sent me into my iTunes and then send it to you via WeTransfer.  Would that work for you?

I'd rather have the mp3s again because if you made a wav file CD out of the mp3s it would mean more loss for me to compress them back to mp3 again. Thanks for the offer though!  ;)

Kevin

eschiss1

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Saturday 05 September 2009, 18:51
Dear Ilja,

Thank you very much for allowing me to hear performances of these marvellously lyrical works. I have a score of the cello concerto, but the VC I did not know at all. Delicious music. Bortkiewicz is so underrated.

As the cello concerto was published before 1923 (composed 1915, published by D. Rahter in 1922) it's CA- and US- out of copyright (though not EU-, alas), and anyone in whose region it is out of (c) who could legally scan a score (full or piano-reduced) version of this in, and upload it to imslp.org or a similar site, would have many people's gratitude obviously. Apologies if this is the wrong forum for such things... (the violin concerto just misses- composed 1922, pub. 1923. But that just means us US people would be out of luck- still good to have it in for Canadian (and etc.) users if, again, one can legally scan it in the first place.)

Alan Howe

Quote from: Kevin Pearson on Wednesday 22 September 2010, 00:20
Well, as I stated above I have a lot of CDs that I burned several years ago that now won't play. So CDs are not any more reliable than hard drives, in fact I would even say less so. I

My own CDs are in pretty good health. Anyway, I'd rather lose the odd one of those than everything on a hard drive...

eschiss1

Quote from: Alan Howe on Wednesday 22 September 2010, 17:57
Well, as I stated above I have a lot of CDs that I burned several years ago that now won't play. So CDs are not any more reliable than hard drives, in fact I would even say less so. I

My own CDs are in pretty good health. Anyway, I'd rather lose the odd one of those than everything on a hard drive...
as that has happened to me twice in a few years, I'm very glad for backups and, the second time around, for "Time Machine"...

eschiss1

ah, I knew I was sent a photocopy of the first page of the cello concerto. Since the files of the cello concerto come without movement indications, I thought I'd mention the first movement's heading is "Andante". I don't know the 2nd movement (section- it's a 'cello concerto in einem Satz'; there is no second movement really) tempo heading.
(cop. 1922, maybe someone will scan in the score and upload it sometime... it's PD-US and CA though not EU.)

Eric

Ilja

Well, as I stated above I have a lot of CDs that I burned several years ago that now won't play. So CDs are not any more reliable than hard drives, in fact I would even say less so. I think the likelihood of losing your external and internal drives within days of each other is pretty low and I do think backing up to an external is much safer and more reliable than CDs.

In any case I guess nobody is willing to host the Bortkiewicz files again so I can hear them again?

Kevin,

Use this link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/314182/bort.zip

jerfilm

Hard drives.  Probably I'm preaching to the choir here but maybe someone will benefit from my 30+ years of computing.  Hard drives will fail eventually, especially if you're like me and keep your computer on 24/7 except when you're away from home for extended periods.  After all, what basically makes 'em go is an electric motor.  Even external hard drives will fail under those circumstances.  Usually not as quickly.

But good external drives ARE very cheap.  A 2 terrabyte drive by Western Digital is 119$ at amazon usa.  Or as little as 79$ for 1 Tbyte...... You can put a lot of music/scores/documents on a drive that large.  Set it up so that you can easily connect and disconnect it when not in use and it should last almost forever. 

Christopher

Quote from: Ilja on Friday 04 September 2009, 08:33
A while ago I received a recording of Bortkiewicz' Violin and Cello Concertos from a fellow forum member. Since it now seems that these recordings are copyright-free (something with the state and art for the people and all that) we've decided to post them here.

They are Ukranian in origin, but we don't know much about the performers (if you know, please tell us).

According to the website http://classic-online.ru, the artist information for the recordings of these concertos is as follows:

Cello Concerto
http://classic-online.ru/ru/production/21927
Cellist - Vladimir Nor,
"Philharmonia" Academic Symphony Orchestra of Chernigov
Conductor - Nikolai Sukach

Violin Concerto
http://classic-online.ru/ru/production/14121
Violinist - Anatoly Bazhenov
"Philharmonia" Academic Symphony Orchestra of Chernigov
Conductor - Nikolai Sukach

With the violin concerto there is a note which translates as: "This recording was made in the Columned Hall of the National Philharmonia of Ukraine. A.Bazhenov is accompanied by the "Philharmonia" Academic Symphony Orchestra of Chernigov, Ukraine, under the direction of N.Sukach. Currently this is the only orchestra which has played everything symphonic by Bortkiewicz."

Peter1953

Many thanks for this interesting information, Christopher!

cander49

Sorry to bump an old thread with my first post, but does anyone have the ability to post up these Bortkiewicz Violin/Cello concerti one more time?  I would love to hear them.  :)

FBerwald

Any chance these two beauties will ever be recorded? Hyperion maybe.... ;)

Christopher