Bortkiewicz' Violin Concerto and Cello Concerto

Started by Ilja, Friday 04 September 2009, 08:33

Previous topic - Next topic

FBerwald

Craigmaile

Dear Ilja,

Might you be so very kind as to re-upload these files, please? l'm a great lover of Bortkiewicz and would love to hear these works,

Thanks, Craig

eschiss1

Here's a video with his cello concerto - YouTube.

Here's the violin concerto (not the Levitin recording on Dutton, I think) - YouTube.

The violin concerto's been recorded commercially on Dutton (recently), the cello concerto not yet (there's a synthesizer recording in Thadani's series).

sdtom

Picked up a nice find today at thehthrifit store where I do the electronics. It is Sergei Borkiewicz Piano Concerto No. 1 on Hyperion fora $1.oo. What is the general consensus of his work. Frankly I'm not too impressed with him very much  Rachmaninoff like or am I missing the boat? Stephen Coombs seems at home with him.`

FBerwald

Don't look for much in terms of development, but he could write melancholic tunes that would charm anyone. If you don't compare his music to Rachmaninoff, his music can pretty much stand for itself. Try his and Piano Concerto No. 2 & Symphonies. The Violin Concerto is also very rewarding.

Alan Howe

The VC's too long, though. His PCs and symphonies are superior, I think.

FBerwald

I agree that the VC is a bit long but the melodies are pretty engaging so it doesn't drag much.

Alan Howe

I find the opposite - at 50 minutes it definitely drags. But no matter; it's an enjoyable listen.

sdtom

I'll have another listen today and see if I get a different feeling. I got some new CD cabinets on sale so I'm in the process of rearranging my CD's, which is long overdue. I'm finding material I forgot about. :)