Ernst Fabritius : Violin Concerto, Ernst Linko : Piano concerto no.2

Started by lechner1110, Saturday 15 October 2011, 22:45

Previous topic - Next topic

lechner1110

Hello

Finnsh radio will broadcast two unsung composers works.
  I will try to record.

YLE radio1 is able to listen from here   http://areena.yle.fi/player/index.php?channel=1&language=fi
  And Homepage  http://yle.fi/radio1/

1  Ernst Fabritius (1842-1899) : Violin Concerto in D minor

Olavi Pälli (violin)
      Finnsih Radio symphony orchestra
      Pertti Pekkanen(cond)

Broadcast date 29.Oct.2011 05:06 (Finnish time)

2 Ernst Linko  (1889–1960) : Piano concerto no.2 in E major op. 10 (1918–20)

Raija Kerppo (piano)
     Finnsih Radio symphony orchestra
     Osmo Vänskä(cond)

Broadcast date 31.Oct.2011 03:40 (Finnish time)

Mark Thomas

I have a recording of the Fabritius performance, broadcast by BBC Radio 3 in 2005. It's a very solid piece, well worth a hearing.

eschiss1

Have seen that concerto by Linko listed as broadcast on BBC Through-the-Night from time to time- haven't heard it yet... same performance, I think. There's also a YLE performance of Hero Heinonen playing Linko's opus 1 piano suite out there I gather. (Euroclassic Notturno gives the movements of the Linko op10 as "Allegro con brio; Moderato; Rondo alla finlandese" but doesn't mention the recording date. By 2004, of course, since Finnish Radio and BBC Through the Night broadcast it then if not also earlier.)

Linko also was the soloist at the premiere of Raitio's piano concerto opus 6 in 1914... hrm...

Mark Thomas

The Linko, also previously broadcast by BBC Radio 3, is a very engaging three-movement Rachmaninovian work lasting about 20 minutes. The finale is a Rondo a la Finlandaise. It dates from 1920.

lechner1110

Hello Mark,

I'm looking forward to listen this broadcast to hear your comments!
  Both of composer's works are I had not been listen ever.

Thanks

Atsushi

Hovite

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Sunday 16 October 2011, 08:28The Linko, also previously broadcast by BBC Radio 3, is a very engaging three-movement Rachmaninovian work

It is indeed. So why isn't it better known?

So far as I am aware, it is not available on CD.

eschiss1

in fact it may be the only Linko work on a commercially available or once-available CD is 4 works for piano, including a sonatina, op23/1, Hommage à Domenico Scarlatti op.12, a Waltz, and a tango, performed by the composer, on the Fuga label (a 2003 disc)? not at all sure of the "only" there, but...
(ah. indeed, there's also a movement from the suite op.1 on a Finlandia disc from 1995. I think Tateno Izumi was the pianist.)