"Big tunes" in symphonic finales.

Started by John H White, Thursday 30 April 2009, 21:42

Previous topic - Next topic

John H White

I cannot at present think of any symphonic finales from unsung composers that contain "big tunes" like those featured in Beethoven 3 & 9 Brahms 1 and Sibelius 2.
   I realise that such a feature is not necessary for the all round success of a symphony, but I'd be interested to hear of any examples from our unsung heroes.

mbhaub

Maybe I don't know what you mean by "big tune" but hear are just a few that have one, and can have the same cathartic effect.

Tchaikovsky symphonies 3 & 5
Elgar symphony 1
Franck d minor
Glazunov 5
Rachmaninoff symphony 2
Beach symphony

Personally, I don't think the Beethoven 3rd has that great of a tune. It sure was useful for variation, but it's not all that powerful.

TerraEpon

Atterburg 8. It really doesn't get much better.

Gliere 2, Kabalevsky 2, and (though not an unsung, the piece is) Rimsky-Korsakov 1 also come to mind.
Gotta love those Russians I guess...

Oh and I guess Myaskovsky 19, though it's for Wind Ensemble. And for something a bit more modern but still fully in 'our' idiom, there's James Barnes's 3rd...though as far as wind ensemble pieces go that's probably not all that unsung.

orff

Joly Braga Santos - Symphony No. 4 - one of the unsung masterpieces of the 20th Century - includes a terrific finale

The Sibelius Fifth is another.

Steve B

Alan Howe

Try Gernsheim 2 and 4. Magnificent!

If friends don't know them yet, the Arte Nova set of Gernsheim's symphonies - at bargain price - is an absolute must.

Hofrat

Eggert's C-major symphony finale.
Eggert's C-minor symphony finale.

Peter1953

Rubinstein 5

I have immediately ordered the 4 Gernsheim symphonies and will let you know what I think of it. Hopefully another "trouvaille" for me, just like Rufinatscha!

orff

The Gernsheim symphonies are wonderful works.

In the same vein, I'd recommend the four by Victor Bendix.  Some gorgeous lyricism and first-class orchestrations.  (PS - the story of Bendix's life unfolded like a Grand Guignol horror film, with lovers, guns, and whatnot!)

Alan Howe

The problem with the set of Bendix symphonies on Danacord is the very poor playing of the orchestra from Omsk (where?) - thin, often out-of-tune strings, poor ensemble, etc. - as well as bathroom-acoustics recording. You can get a fair idea of some very interesting music from the set, but it badly needs replacing with a set done by a proper orchestra. The Omsk band is pretty amateurish, unfortunately. Only recommended with extreme caution for some interesting music...

John H White

Many thanks, folks, for all those suggestions. I already have the Parry & Gernsheim CDs, so I must give them another spin. I also have the score of Gernsheim No 2 ready to copy out into Noteworthy if I live long enough, but there are so many other scores waiting for the same treatment! For most of the rest it looks like yet another visit to my piggy bank.

Steve B

Parry No3. Do we mean a big, memorable tune ANYWHERE in the finale; or only in a glorious peroration(the chorale type ending).? Disappointingly, the Parry 4 finale tune doesnt come back complete in an emblazoned fashion, only in part; though its effective in a subtler way!

Steve

orff

Quote from: Alan Howe on Friday 01 May 2009, 21:36
The problem with the set of Bendix symphonies on Danacord is the very poor playing of the orchestra from Omsk (where?) - thin, often out-of-tune strings, poor ensemble, etc. - as well as bathroom-acoustics recording. You can get a fair idea of some very interesting music from the set, but it badly needs replacing with a set done by a proper orchestra. The Omsk band is pretty amateurish, unfortunately. Only recommended with extreme caution for some interesting music...

I agree that a better performance/recording would be nice - but I disagree with the conclusion that "caution" is part of the equation.  After all, these are more than interesting symphonies; they certainly can stand with, for example, Gernsheim's, in my opinion.  So, do we turn up our noses at the only recording extant, or do we listen, enjoy and be introduced to some fine unsung music notwithstanding the perceived deficiencies in the delivery?  For anyone posting on this site, the Bendix symphonies should be heard - and the caution definitely, in this case, ought to be thrown to the (wood) winds.   :P

Ilja

I'd say that appreciation of the music doesn't exclude being slightly cheesed off with the quality of the present recording -  I know that for me it didn't in the case of the Bendix symphonies.

Other suggestions: Von Klenau 1, Martucci 2, Braga Santos 1