News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Friedrich Lux

Started by eschiss1, Thursday 13 December 2012, 04:59

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

have now heard one of his three string quartets, and compiled/begun a partial list of his works over @ IMSLP (well, as an ASpie (viz. Asperger's Syndrome), I qualify as an overgrown trainspotter honorary, of course.) Looking forward to hearing the trio. Maybe one of his operas- I gather Der Schmied von Ruhla was praised by Liszt, or something?... - one-these-days.

Martin Anderson

The booklet note with one of the MDG CDs of Bargiel's piano trios about fifteen years ago quoted a contemporary reviewer to the extent that "these trios are the best things in the genre since those of Friedrich Lux" (or similar). And I thought: who the fux Lux? Having since discovered a bit more about him, I have him among my targets for Toccata Classics, but I haven't managed to do anything about him yet.
Cheers
Martin

eschiss1

I remember someone mentioning Lux for some reason in an interview with either Dabringhaus or Grimm in Fanfare Magazine around that time (probably because of that, I suppose- though I remember something in the interview causing the interviewee to take notes for later reference, so maybe it was the other way around, too...)

eschiss1

I have tried to find the movement-indications of Lux's C-sharp minor trio pub.1858 by Breitkopf before, without  success so far. It's at LoC and a few other libraries, so I'm fairly sure it's possible to find out. (RISM has references to seven works - his first string quartet recently recorded by Matesic (*waves*) (very fragmentary autograph, in Hamburg), two operas, his mass in G minor, others, but not the trio.)

Alan Howe

Quote from: Martin Anderson on Thursday 13 December 2012, 23:22
Having since discovered a bit more about him, I have him among my targets for Toccata Classics, but I haven't managed to do anything about him yet.
Cheers
Martin

Here's hoping, then...

Richergar

The only thing I've heard so far is the Trio that's on You Tube, which I rather like more for some of the modulations and (cautious) chromaticism than I think the treatment of the themes. I'd be very curious to hear bits of the operas, but somehow doubt that day is coming anytime soon <g>. Thanks for the lead on him, though

Mark Thomas

The YouTube recording of the Piano Trio is available as mp3s in our Downloads board here.