News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Robert Volkmann

Started by Alan Howe, Saturday 22 October 2011, 20:48

Previous topic - Next topic

sdtom

I'm surprised that Naxos hasn't recorded him other than on the battle music CD.
Tom

eschiss1

Well, hopefully that's a "yet".

sdtom

His first symphony is top drawer in my book.
Tom

sdtom

I've spent the morning comparing the Richard III overtures on the cpo and naxos labels. As far as I know the Battle Music CD is still available through classicsonline.
Tom

LateRomantic75

I really enjoy Volkmann's music, especially the two symphonies. They have a drama, sweep and concision that is almost unequalled in mid-romantic music. Unlike some of his contemporaries, Volkmann never settled for "pleasantness" alone in his music; there's plenty of substance to be found in it.

Mark Thomas

An excellent summary of Volkmann's strengths, if I may say so.

LateRomantic75

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Sunday 08 September 2013, 17:22
An excellent summary of Volkmann's strengths, if I may say so.

Thank you, Mark! :)

Peter1953

LateRomantic75, do you recognize a similarity between Volkmann and Goldmark? I do.

Alan Howe

Can you explain in what way you think they are similar, Peter?

LateRomantic75

Quote from: Peter1953 on Sunday 08 September 2013, 19:50
LateRomantic75, do you recognize a similarity between Volkmann and Goldmark? I do.

Hmmmm.....Goldmark's music is generally less high-strung than Volkmann's, but they both show considerable melodic and structural talent. Also, there are folksy elements in some of Goldmark's works (most obviously in the Rustic Wedding Symphony) that aren't found in Volkmann's music. On the topic of Goldmark, I found a lot of orchestral works of his (mainly overtures) on YouTube that aren't available commercially. They're all lovely works. :)

Alan Howe

I'd say Volkmann's music falls in that interesting gap between Schumann and Brahms - alongside Raff, Dietrich, Goetz, Reinecke, etc. Goldmark is really half a generation later, with all that that implies for the development of his musical style.

JimL

Quote from: LateRomantic75 on Sunday 08 September 2013, 21:13
Quote from: Peter1953 on Sunday 08 September 2013, 19:50

Hmmmm.....Goldmark's music is generally less high-strung than Volkmann's, but they both show considerable melodic and structural talent. Also, there are folksy elements in some of Goldmark's works (most obviously in the Rustic Wedding Symphony) that aren't found in Volkmann's music. On the topic of Goldmark, I found a lot of orchestral works of his (mainly overtures) on YouTube that aren't available commercially. They're all lovely works. :)
A lot of those overtures on YT are probably downloaded from our Archives.  :D

sdtom

I've really been completely won over by his first symphony and the Richard III overture even though it is somewhat of a patchwork work. I'm fond of many of these overtures such as Hamlet Fantasy.
Tom

sdtom

Gauk

I have been listening to some of Volkmann's piano music and piano duets. They are effectively salon music, but if you like salon music (as I do) they are very good, and I expect, very commercial in their day.