News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Robert Volkmann

Started by Alan Howe, Saturday 22 October 2011, 20:48

Previous topic - Next topic

sdtom

Have a listen to the Swedish Dances. A fairly short work (7+) each one is based on a province.
Tom :)

adriano

Since Goldmark is mentioned: I also allow myself to intrude with an out-of-theme subject to say that a splendid recording of 4 of his Overtures was pusblished by Hungaroton in 1985.

And about Volkmann: I adore his two Symphonies; that cpo recording including 2 Overtures and his Cello Concerto is also remarkable. And I like this music without always being in need to compare it without other contemporaries  ;)

@eschiss1: Rubinstein, in his review of Tchaikovsky's Cantata "Kradosti" ("To Joy") writes: ... I will say only that Messrs. Reintahler and Volkmann would rejoice unutterably at this cantata, and would exclaim ecstatically: "our numbers have been increased!" (See: David Brown, Tchaikovsky, Vol.1).

Alan Howe

QuoteAnd I like this music without always being in need to compare it without other contemporaries
Quite right!

QuoteSince Goldmark is mentioned: I also allow myself to intrude with an out-of-theme subject to say that a splendid recording of 4 of his Overtures was pusblished by Hungaroton in 1985

Thanks! I've duly ordered a copy.

Gareth Vaughan

I love Volkmann's music and I eagerly bought the CPO set of "Complete orchestral music", but was disappointed to find that it was NOT the complete orchestral music. The Konzertstuck for piano and orchestra was missing. This is a lovely piece, once available on Vox/Turnabout. That performance was OK, but we really do need a modern recording of this piece.

FBerwald

Dear Gareth, the Konzertstuck might eventually appear on the Hyperion RPC series.

Gauk

Reading this thread, I thought I must get the set of the orchestral music; then I thought, "Surely I have it already?". A quick search of the shelves and there it was, unplayed for a long while. So having listened now to the first symphony, I am inclined to agree with the praise bestowed on it by the other posters here.

As to the opening, there is no question in my mind but that Borodin lifted it. How interesting! You never see mention of it in notes on Borodin's 2nd, nor is it pointed out in the notes on the Volkmann.

The influence on Tchaikovsky is also clear. The slow movement sometimes sounds as if it is going to wander off into the Pathetique.

Rainolf

There wasn't much written about Volkmann's string quartets here. Having listened to Nos. 2 and 5, I found them beautiful and enjoyable music in the most parts. The finale of No. 2 seems me a little problematic: It's not a bad conclusion, but though it is the longest movement of the work, its episodic structure and the Coda in modo brillante (which is too short and has only a superficial connection to the rest of the movement) make it a somewhat lightweight piece. But the previous movements are very fine. No. 5 is surely one of the most original string quartets written in the middle of the 19th century. It's fascinating, how Volkmann develops the permanently pulsating first movement from a simple semiquaver figure and how he varies the material of the second group everytime it appears. Similar variation procedures dominate the second movement. The third movement starts as a Scherzo with Trio, but then, after an Andante Intermezzo, develops into a furious Coda, which concludes the whole work. The third movement has on its way turned from a Scherzo into a Finale. This quartet makes me a striking impression.

Don't forget Volkmanns 200th birthday on 6th April!

Alan Howe

Thanks for that post. Must get my copies out and have a proper listen...

sdtom

Has anyone heard a Russian recording conducted by Rozdesvensky of the Richard III overture? I was told that it is outstanding.

Alan Howe

The Rozhdestvensky performance of the Richard III Overture can be heard here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGOPwVQr_r0

eschiss1

It can also be heard in a Brilliant Classics 2009 (10) CD set - see e.g. http://www.worldcat.org/title/gennady-rozhdestvensky-edition/oclc/708263722.  Of interest if one has access to a library with the set in its possession, anyways (Brown, Stanford, or another.)

sdtom

Quote from: eschiss1 on Monday 30 March 2015, 13:03
It can also be heard in a Brilliant Classics 2009 (10) CD set - see e.g. http://www.worldcat.org/title/gennady-rozhdestvensky-edition/oclc/708263722.  Of interest if one has access to a library with the set in its possession, anyways (Brown, Stanford, or another.)

I'm considering this but the cost is $40.00 for the 10 CD set. I did listen to the recording I was asking about and I was very impressed but also found three more versions to listen to on youtube.
Thanks for the info

semloh

Are we saying that the Rozhd. version of the Richard III Overture is superior to the Albert version on CPO?

sdtom

I think of the three recordings the Rozhd. is the best

Alan Howe