News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Robert Volkmann

Started by Alan Howe, Saturday 22 October 2011, 20:48

Previous topic - Next topic

sdtom

Having taken into account the inferior audio from you tube I have the feeling that Rozhd. and the orchestra had a definite fondness for this work and the conducting and playing certainly conveyed that feeling. I could feel how exuberant they were. I only wish there was a way to get that one CD as I have many Shostakovitch recordings in my collection which takes up several CD's.
Tom :)

semloh

Interesting. I often feel that Rozhd. gets unwarranted short shrift from reviewers. I don't understand why you mention Shostakovich, Tom, but we must not get side-tracked!  ;)

Any more recordings of Volkmann on the horizon, anyone?

sdtom

I made mention of Shostakovich because to get the Richard III disc would mean the purchase of a 10 CD set which includes a fair amount of Shostakovich material. How do others on the forum feel about the different recordings?
Tom

semloh

Ah, sorry Tom, I missed that!

sdtom

I need to make myself clearer sometimes
Tom :)

eschiss1

I know of no new commercial recordings of Volkmann on the way, but I see some new performances (not CD/LP/etc.-rips, but live performances from the last year-or-so) of works of his on YouTube, e.g. his 2nd serenade (from a Dutch television station? TVSoest?);
his cello concerto (Hila Karni, cello, Max Pommer, Hamburg Camerata).
His Schlummerlied Op.76 does form a small part of a 2013 concert given at Westmont College here (by a trio of viola, cello and piano, in that part of the concert).

Mazurka

Finally I have found a place, where some people are talking about Volkmann, who is my topic in my dissertation.  :)

Alan Howe

Welcome, Mazurka! Do tell us about your dissertation...

Pyramus

Volkmann's Symphony no. 1 is being played by the West Mendip Orchestra at Uphill, Weston-super-Mare, on Friday 22nd March. I'm in Exeter so could get there. No idea what the orchestra is like or how they came to choose this work. The similarity of the opening, which I've just listened to on YouTube, to the start of Borodin 2 has already been mentioned.

Alan Howe

Pyramus

I attended the West Mendip Orchestra's concert on Friday and the Volkmann symphony seemed to be well received by the audience. Members of the orchestra I spoke to enjoyed playing it. The conductor liked to choose unusual works and was aware of Christopher Fifield's book on the German symphony, so perhaps he'll come up with one of the other works reviewed on this forum. 

Alan Howe

Good news - and an encouraging report. Thanks very much for posting this.