Unusual Combination of Instruments in the Romantic Chamber Music

Started by Peter1953, Thursday 03 November 2011, 08:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter1953

In March 1882 Joseph Rheinberger composed Six Pieces for Violin and Organ, op. 150. Three of those pieces were arranged for violoncello and organ by Rheinberger himself. It looks to me like a most unusual combination of musical instruments in the Chamber Music repertoire.
I'm wondering whether members know of other remarkable combinations of instruments?

Jimfin

Bantock wrote a couple of pieces for cello and harp, a lovely combination (available on Dutton). And Elgar wrote a brief Duett (sic) for double bass and trombone.

Lionel Harrsion

There's Coleridge-Taylor's Suite de Pièces op 3 for Violin and Organ, the Cavatina from which is a real winner.  This suite has been recorded very nicely by Robert Murray (vln), Ardyth Lohuis (org) on a Raven CD (OAR510) which contains all manner of interesting unsung works for that combination, including Amy Beach's 'Invocation' op 55 and Gustav Jensen's 'Arioso and Rondo Patetico' op 40.

eschiss1

Well, Dupré is late for the era but wrote, I think, all manner of chamber works with organ in place of the usual piano. There are several violin, cello, harp trios (Charles Oberthür contributed two, both at Internet Archive - archive.org - and now at imslp, and at least one related trio by him- I think one for violin, harp, piano - is mentioned in contemporary writing. IMSLP mentions such trios by others also but not all from the Romantic era - e.g. Henriette Renée is another.)
In about 1898 Ange Flégier (1846-1927) published a quartet for winds- 2 oboes and 2 bassoons (which does not sound unusual but I think may not be often used as a quartet combination- I don't know?)

saxtromba

Ferdinand Ries's Sextet, Op. 142, is for Piano, Harp, Bassoon, Clarinet, French Horn, and Double Bass.  It has been recorded on Cpo.

Anton Rubinstein's Quintet for Piano and Winds, Op. 55, substitutes a flute for the much more usual oboe.  It has been recorded several times, though not always complete.  The best currently available recording is the Consortium Classicum on Orfeo, coupled with the only (but, fortunately, excellent) recording of the Op. 9 Octet.

Going a bit astray chronologically, but well within the aural bounds of most listeners here, Bohuslav Martinu wrote a Quartet for Clarinet, Horn, Cello and Snare Drum (!) which I've always liked.  There are several recordings.

TerraEpon

And of course there's Saint-Saens's Septet for Trumpet, String Quartet, Double Bass, and Piano. He also apparently wrote a piece called 'Les Odeurs de Paris
' for Two Trumpets, Harp, Piano, and Toys, though as far as I know, it's unrecorded.

There's also the reletively populat fantaisie for violin and harp, and Carnival of the Animals is technically a chamber piece (one-per-part on the strings, despite ohow often it's performed/recorded with massed strings), and thus certainly qualifies.

The Serenade Op. 15 might also qualify, but it's quite confusing what the real instrumentation is (piano, violin, viola, and organ SEEMS to be the original, but....)

Paul Barasi

Overture for orchestra, organ, riffles, 3 hoovers + electric floor polisher. Beat that! Well , chamber music it a'int but still beat that and sound as Grand as Malcolm Arnold.

Peter1953

Thank you all for your posts. And, saxtromba, Rubinstein's op. 9 is IMO a masterpiece!