Moszkowski Piano Concerto Op.3

Started by edurban, Saturday 12 November 2011, 02:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob H

Roughly 2 weeks ago Ludmil posted on fb that he was off to Glasgow to record the work for Hyperion. That's the only info I have. I would love to know what the coupling is going to be. With a concerto running time of 50 minutes there is space for solo works (unlikely) or hopefully some other concertante work. Schulz-Evler Russian Rhapsodie? Probably not but one can hope.
Rob

JimL

With CDs able to hold 90 minutes of music, it is highly likely they will find another Polish piano concerto.  Even at 51 minutes, that still leaves 39 to spare.  Plenty of yet unrecorded Romantic period Polish concertos can fill that out.

Alan Howe

...very few CDs are released with much more than 80 mins of music, though. Neverthless, there's room for a piece lasting approx. half an hour. That, I think, is more realistic.

eschiss1

The published score is now available and even at some libraries, btw, I notice (as of 2013 or 2015, not sure...)

adriano

This Concerto is really beautiful. In a way, it anticipates the majestic - or patriotic - gesture" of Paderewski's Piano Concerto... And it is not yet Brahms-influenced like op. 59.
For Hyperion it would be the occasion to issue their first BluRay Pure Audio CD, so there would be no problems with timings, it they want to couple it with op. 59 :-)

Gareth Vaughan

They won't do the Op. 59 again. It was the first in the RPC series.

adriano

I know that, but many "older" recordings are being re-issued on BR anway, so that would make a reissue with a new bonus :-)

Alan Howe

It'd be nice. But Hyperion don't seem to work that way. Anyway, what we want is a commercial recording...

adriano

Alan Howe

Just to repeat, this is the info which was released some while back about the recording by Ludmil Angelov:

In June 2015 he will record the world-premiere recording of the recently discovered early Piano Concerto of Moritz Moszkowski for Hyperion.
http://www.lespritdeladiva.org/ludmilAngelov

That the recording was indeed made is confirmed here:

In June 2015 he recorded the world-premiere recording of the recently discovered early Piano Concerto of Moritz Moszkowski with Scottish BBC Orchestra for the label Hyperion.
http://www.emiliaromagnafestival.it/angelov-ludmil/?lang=en (with spellings corrected!!)

The score was published by Symétrie of Lyon(s), France:
https://symetrie.com/fr/titres/concerto-pour-piano

FBerwald

This is indeed very good news. Just wonder when it will be released though.

Alan Howe

You could try contacting Hyperion...

florianf

Ah, what a revelation it is to find this thread (and forum).
I just signed up because I found this forum via google after listening to the Mozkowski op.6 on youtube - one of my favourite piano concertos ever, I have to say.

I also want to thank Mr. Angelov for his outstanding performance and for resurrecting this fantastic piece!

I have fruitlessly searched the web for any information concerning a recording and a commercial release of this work, and am pleased to read here in this thread that Hyperion has recorded the work with Mr. Angelov. Has anybody already contacted Hyperion and inquired about a potential release date?

Regards,
Florian

Mark Thomas

This page on the iTunes website appears to show the upcoming release of the long-awaited Hyperion recording of this wonderful concerto, coupled with the Schulz-Evler Russian Rhapsody, as no.68 in their RPC series. Opening the link in iTunes itself reveals an anticipated release date of 1st July this year. Comparing the movement times, both the slow movement and the finale take about a minute longer than in the radio broadcast recording we already have.

Alan Howe

I can confirm this:

The early Moszkowski Piano Concerto—its score long presumed lost, its very existence known only to a few—makes volume 68 of our Romantic Piano Concerto series an especially desirable acquisition for all pianophiles. Ludmil Angelov and Vladimir Kiradjiev (the soloist and conductor responsible for the work's first performance in modern times) here make their Hyperion debuts, joining the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra in this premiere recording.
http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/ym.asp?ym=2016_07