4 IV Allegro vivace 12:47   
Sinfonia nro 3 (1952-1953):
5 I Scherzo: Vivace 10:08   
6 II Andante   7:17   
7 III Allegro   4:40   
70:17   

Alan Howe

BFerrell

These symphonies are at the beginning and end of Merikanto's career. The 1st is quite fiery and romantic. The 3rd is simple and direct. They bookcase his more "modern" scores of the 20's. Both are fine works and like so much music from his generation, have been totally submerged by Sibelius. It's past time to look beyond the great master and enjoy the fine music of many of his younger Finnish colleagues.

M. Henriksen

What great news! As far as I know, only the 3rd of Merikanto's symphonies has been recorded before (a long time ago as well).
I hope this also means that Alba will record the 2nd. Do we know a release date for the new disc?

Morten

Dundonnell

Quote from: Tapiola on Friday 02 December 2011, 13:42
These symphonies are at the beginning and end of Merikanto's career. The 1st is quite fiery and romantic. The 3rd is simple and direct. They bookcase his more "modern" scores of the 20's. Both are fine works and like so much music from his generation, have been totally submerged by Sibelius. It's past time to look beyond the great master and enjoy the fine music of many of his younger Finnish colleagues.

I very much agree about the need to enjoy the music of the generation that followed Sibelius :) I have always been very keen on composrs like Melartin, Klami, Englund, Kokkonen and Sallinen. Now there is more opportunity to study Merikanto, The two symphonies just issued are in the Downloads section here but these are, of course, much more modern recordings.

Thanks for the information :)

M. Henriksen

Two other composers represented in the Downloads section are Ernest Pingoud and Väinö Raitio. I would very much like to see commercial recordings of those symphonies as well. But this is hopefully a good start from Alba!

Morten

BFerrell

If you order it directly from Alba now, they will ship within the next two weeks or sooner.

Dundonnell

Quote from: M. Henriksen on Friday 02 December 2011, 14:43
Two other composers represented in the Downloads section are Ernest Pingoud and Väinö Raitio. I would very much like to see commercial recordings of those symphonies as well. But this is hopefully a good start from Alba!

Morten

Agreed :)

BFerrell

Finland totally shuts down for Christmas around Dec. 15th, so I'm sure it will ship before that. Alba does have plans to record more of that generation, but they are expecting some government funding first.

erato

But 22 Euros guys! What an insane price..... :-[

BFerrell

Alba will be releasing the 2nd Symphony in 2012.

M. Henriksen

Brilliant! Does the 2nd Symphony fill an entire disc itself, or can we expect some additional works?

Morten

BFerrell

The second, written in memory of his brother killed in the civil war (Merikanto himself was imprisoned by the Reds) lasts over 40 minutes, but I suspect there will other premieres included.

Dundonnell

Alan Howe

I'm just listening to the 1st Symphony - very enjoyable, colourful, gorgeously orchestrated late-Romantic stuff. More when I've had time to listen further...
BTW the playing and recording are very fine indeed.