News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Francesco de Vico (1805-1848)

Started by A Nyholm, Saturday 24 October 2009, 16:03

Previous topic - Next topic

A Nyholm

Dear Forum members,

Perhaps someone could help me with this one?

In my search for astronomers/composers I've come across Francesco de Vico (1805-1848), who was a Jesuit and director of the Collegio Romano observatory. He discovered numerous comets, among other things. He was also a choral conductor and composer of sacred vocal music, and I've been able to find a reference to one published work of his:

Antiphons and Responses of Matins and Lauds for the Last Three Days of Holy Week (London : Cary, 1877)

The information about the publication has been taken from the Franz Pazdirek handbook and from http://www.kirchenlexikon.de/v/vico_f.shtml.
Is the work available in a library somewhere, perhaps?

Thanks,
Anders

Gareth Vaughan

There are 4 MSS of de Vico in the Biblioteca nazionale Marciana in Venice and another in the Biblioteca del Conservatorio statale di musica Benedetto Marcello, also in Venice. I have not yet located a copy of the published Antiphonale recorded in Pazdirek.

A Nyholm

Most interesting! Thanks, Gareth!
Could you please tell me, here or via Personal Message, about the de Vico works that you've found?

Anders

Gareth Vaughan

I haven't seen these MSS. I simply did a search on ICCU which is the Italian equivalent of the UK's COPAC.