News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Turkish Composers

Started by a.b., Wednesday 08 February 2012, 21:15

Previous topic - Next topic

a.b.

Whats about composers of western classical music in Turkey?

The Turkish Five
Ulvi Cemal Erkin
Cemal Reşid Rey
Ferid Alnar
Ahmet Adnan Saygun
Necil Kâzım Akses

Fazil Say

I am looking for more names!  ???

Christopher

What are the dates of these composers?

There was a good Turkish-themed CD released by Kalan Ses (The Orchard) label called "Istanbul to London" with music that was writen to commemorate the visit of Sultan Abdülaziz to London in 1867.

Music includes:

Mariani, Angelo (1821-73) - Hymne National in C major, for chorus and orchestra
d'Adelburg, Chevalier August (1830-73) - Aux Bords du Bosphore, Symphonie-Fantasie for large orchestra, Op.9
Arditi, Luigi (1822-1903) - InnoTurco (Hymne) in D major - for 4 voices, chorus & grand orchestra

with the Prague Philharmonic Choir and Prague Symphony Orchestra conducted by Emre Araci

There's also a CD called Euro-Ottomania - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Euro-Ottomania-Prague-Symphony-Orchestra-Araci/dp/B0012OVFIO/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1328777208&sr=1-2

http://www.emusic.com/listen/#/album/emre-araci-prague-philharmonic-choir-prague-symphony-orchestra/istanbuldan-londraya-istanbul-to-london-19-yuzyil-osmanli-koral-ve-senfonik-muzigi/11193487/

alberto

I would add of course Kamran Ince (1960) whose works Naxos is extensively releasing (and who appears to me not without merits).
I would list Nevitt Kadalli (1924-1999).
Dates of the "Turkish Five"
Saygun 1907-1991
Akses 1908-99
Alnar 1906-78
Rey 1904-1985
Erkin 1906-72
CPO (and earlier Koch) have worthily promoted through several records the music of Ahmet Adnan Saygun, the so-called "Turkish Bartok". I own just two records; I would recommend to anyone the CPO comprising the two piano concertos (777 289-2, 2008 release) : both very appealing, certainly not on the level of Bartok, and much easier for the listener.
Fine also the deleted Koch 3-6746-2 coupling Symphony n. 1 and Concerto da Camera op.62.
There is also a CPO of Akses.
The only Turkish works (ancient music excepted) I have heard in actual concerts are four of five works by Fazyl Say (included the two "Silk Road" piano concertos): generally verging towards "world music", but always enjoying the advocacy of the maverick and charismatic pianist-composer himself. 

Christo

Quote from: alberto on Thursday 09 February 2012, 10:25
I would add of course Kamran Ince (1960) whose works Naxos is extensively releasing (and who appears to me not without merits). I would list Nevitt Kadalli (1924-1999).
Dates of the "Turkish Five"
Saygun 1907-1991
Akses 1908-99
Alnar 1906-78
Rey 1904-1985
Erkin 1906-72
CPO (and earlier Koch) have worthily promoted through several records the music of Ahmet Adnan Saygun, the so-called "Turkish Bartok". I own just two records; I would recommend to anyone the CPO comprising the two piano concertos (777 289-2, 2008 release) : both very appealing, certainly not on the level of Bartok, and much easier for the listener.
Fine also the deleted Koch 3-6746-2 coupling Symphony n. 1 and Concerto da Camera op.62.
There is also a CPO of Akses.

Totally agree with your recommendations. Saygun's two piano concertos are a good starter, both very appealing. His five symphonies on CPO, conducted by Ari Rasilainen who really does wonders with them, are very fine indeed IMO. Akses is less accessible, but you may find much more - for example a fine cd with the Second Symphony and a fine rhapsody by Erkin - on Hungaroton. Including more Saygun and also a couple of cd's by Rey, whose late symphonic poem Türkiye may also make a good starter. I found a handful of locally produced Turkish cd's in Istanbul, years ago. Hope to revisit the great city in May and find some more!

Alex Bozman

Cengiz Tanc (1933-1997) was the first Turkish composer I heard, a broadcast of Improvisations for small orchestra. His Lyric Concerto is the title work on a Koch cd also featuring pieces by Erkin, Rey and Nevit Kodalli.

Ser Amantio di Nicolao

I own a recording of Saygun's Yunus Emre oratorio which was produced by the Turkish Ministry of Culture and marked NOT FOR RESALE.  (I...er...purchased it in a used CD store in Budapest some years ago).  I don't remember it very well, but it struck me as immensely appealing music at the time.

I also have a disc of orchestral works by Alnar (as I recall) - don't remember it too well, but that usually means it's due for a re-listen.  ;D

Christo

Quote from: Ser Amantio di Nicolao on Thursday 09 February 2012, 22:20
I own a recording of Saygun's Yunus Emre oratorio which was produced by the Turkish Ministry of Culture and marked NOT FOR RESALE.  (I...er...purchased it in a used CD store in Budapest some years ago).  I don't remember it very well, but it struck me as immensely appealing music at the time.

I also have a disc of orchestral works by Alnar (as I recall) - don't remember it too well, but that usually means it's due for a re-listen.  ;D

You might find out, in the process, that these are not by Alnar - as I'm not aware of any cd with his orchestral output. Could it, ahem, be Akses, or perhaps Rey or Erkin?  8) As to the Yunus Emre oratoria by Saygun: I own that Hungaroton cd - since long deleted - too, but without the apt warning.  Pity.  ;)

Dundonnell

Atsushi uploaded the Saygun on Christmas Eve for us here :)

chill319

Does Komitas Vartabed count? He who went mad from governmental atrocities in his own land?

Christo

Quote from: chill319 on Friday 10 February 2012, 00:39
Does Komitas Vartabed count? He who went mad from governmental atrocities in his own land?

In discussing 'Turkish' composers here, we tend to refer to composers connected to the Republic of Turkey. Which, as a state, is something very different from the Ottoman Empire. Of course Armenians like Komitas Vardapet or e.g. the Moldovian Dimitrie Cantemir held Ottoman positions. But we wouldn't call them 'Turkish' nowadays, would we, without causing too much misunderstanding.  ::)

Ser Amantio di Nicolao

Quote from: Christo on Friday 10 February 2012, 00:07
Quote from: Ser Amantio di Nicolao on Thursday 09 February 2012, 22:20

You might find out, in the process, that these are not by Alnar - as I'm not aware of any cd with his orchestral output. Could it, ahem, be Akses, or perhaps Rey or Erkin?  8) As to the Yunus Emre oratoria by Saygun: I own that Hungaroton cd - since long deleted - too, but without the apt warning.  Pity.  ;)

You're right, it's Rey.  The Hungaraton release of symphonic works with Cem Mansur.  Sorry about that - it's what I get for not cataloging my collection properly (read: at all.)

(As an aside, I will note that it took me only five minutes to find the disc on my shelf, which if you believe my father is nothing short of a miracle.  He will never understand my "filing system"...something which I really ought to consider sorting out this year.  But that's a topic for another day...)

britishcomposer

Today the 2011 performance of Ahmed Adnan Saygun's Yunus Emre which Atsushi kindly uploaded in December, has been been commercially released:
http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Ahmed-Adnan-Saygun-1907-1991-Oratorium-Yunus-Emre-f%FCr-SoliChor-Orchester/hnum/2953491
I am not sure if Atsushi is aware of this, so could the moderators perhaps remove the link?

:)

Alan Howe

Thanks. I'm closing this thread, though, as it's clearly outside our new remit. The link in the Downloads Archive has been duly deleted and a link to the new recording has taken its place.