Out-of-West-Europe performance of Romantic-era English composers

Started by eschiss1, Saturday 04 July 2015, 16:32

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Here we are... new branched-off topic (see VPhil, Elgar, &c)

eschiss1

btw, continuing our thread from earlier, says here that Elgar's "Serenade" for winds was performed in January by the Detroit Symphony, conducted by Leonard Slatkin.  Didn't know Elgar wrote a serenade for winds, I think?... ... elgar.org gives some 1878-1880 works for wind quintet...

Hrmm, the same link says that the DSO performed the violin concerto under Slatkin in May (May 6-7). I don't live in Detroit, but anyway... just noting. (I used to have a tape of Slatkin performing Ropartz in France, so I'm not surprised his repertoire's already maybe a little wider anyway- which I think I already knew on other grounds.)

TerraEpon

Elgar wrote a bunch of pieces for five woodwinds (two flutes, oboe, clarinet and bassoon):
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Works-Wind-Quintet-Harmony/dp/B000EXZGTS/
Nothing called Serenade though
He also wrote a few pieces called Serenade, though nothing for winds (the only work I have listed specifically for larger wind ensemble is a transcription of Air de Ballet, also called Pastourelle, for orchestra)

chill319

QuoteElgar's "Serenade" for winds was performed in January by the Detroit Symphony
Hi Eric. Your link discusses the forthcoming 2015-16 season, not the past season. Perhaps because of Jarvi's erstwhile tenure, Detroit seems rather catholic in its musical sympathies. In fact, in December 2014 Jarvi was back conducting a program with Brahms's Tragic Overture, Stenhammar's Piano Concerto 1, and Strauss's Also Sprach Zarathustra. Stenhammar is certainly not being treated like a novelty there -- his is the longest work on the program.

eschiss1