Romantic Violin Concerto Vol. 18

Started by FBerwald, Wednesday 22 October 2014, 21:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

Whilst the performances and production values are indeed of the highest standard, I'm afraid that most of the music on this recording came as a big disappointment. The central Andante of Jongen's Concerto has its fair share of lyrical melancholy, and the Animé finale is perky enough, but I don't think either is in any way remarkable. They certainly don't repair the damage done by the episodic, rambling opening Allegro which, despite its huff and puff, goes nowhere. Ysaÿe knew what he was about when (according to the booklet) he ignored the piece, despite it being dedicated to him. Both of Jongen's shorter works and Lazzari's Rapsodie also meander on self-indulgently. The debt of both men to Wagner and Richard Strauss is clear in their harmonic language and richly impressive orchestration, but neither seem capable of producing material with any melodic distinction, and I think that's why in the end I just got bored. The violin is perhaps the instrument which comes closest to the voice, and in the romantic repertoire strong melody is particularly important in solo writing for it, I think. Remove that and you're just left with sound. Grand sound, to be sure, but background music without any lasting appeal.

All that said, given the praise and excitement which the CD has generated from others whom I respect, I'm very happy to accept that it's my loss and that I'm in a minority of one. On a brighter note, I see that Hyperion heeded my warning and replaced the booklet's photo of Guilmant with one of Jongen. Not that they thanked me...

Alan Howe

I understand all that you say, Mark - I suspect it's just that I like the idiom rather more than you do. But I certainly wouldn't make any great claims for the VC. I do think the performance is a fine one, though...

mjkFendrich

Being a violin afficionado myself - not as excessive as our member 'violinoncerto' - I am afraid that
I have to agree with every word Mark Thomas has just written.

Jongen has composed much wonderful music, especially for piano and for chamber ensembles,
and I like his Suite for viola & orchestra very much, but his early works for violin & orchestra are
quite dissapointing. The piece I like most from this album ist the Lazzari, but I wouldn't miss it.

Mark Thomas

QuoteI like the idiom rather more than you do
You may well be right, Alan. With some honourable exceptions I am no great fan of Franck and his followers, and I suppose Jongen does fall to some degree into that category. Neither do I respond very positively to what I regard as self-indulgent late romantic excess, and so I suppose he's on a hiding to nothing with me. Still, it wouldn't do for us all to like the same, would it?

Alan Howe

Oh, quite. I'm afraid I'm a sucker for this kind of thing.

jerfilm

And again, Mark, wasn't it von Bulow who after hearing a piece by R Strauss said "There's less there than meets the ear"?......

I love VC's - stuff like Karlowicz and Moszkowski and especially the wonderful old Glazunov concerto.  But this one doesn't cut it for me either.

Jerry

Alan Howe

It simply doesn't have the melodic content of the VCs you mention, Jerry.

minacciosa

I think it's a fantastic concerto, though certainly a work of a youthful composer and certainly not up to the heights Jongen later reached. I can also tell you that it makes a tremendous impression in concert.

I've not heard the new recorded performance yet (only the excerpts), but will report back once I have.

Alan Howe

A further listen has actually increased my appreciation for this grand concerto. Strangely - or perhaps not - I was often put in mind of Elgar, and certainly of Chausson, but overall I admired its passion much more this time.

minacciosa

Indeed, the first two movements have a great breadth and expansiveness, yet they do not wander.

Jongen's best piece for violin and orchestra is the Poeme Heroique. I don't know why that was not included. There is no recording of it; I recorded the piano part and played it with myself many times. It's written in Jongen's mature style, and in effect it is like an outgoing cousin to Chausson's Poeme.