William Sterndale Bennett 1816-1875

Started by giles.enders, Thursday 05 April 2012, 11:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareth Vaughan

Don't get me started on PC No. 6 ms. I sounded off about that on the old forum. If I start again it will not only be bad for my blood pressure, but Mark and Alan will throw me off the forum in case I write something that is actionable and bring the site into disrepute - or worse!

kolaboy

I've loved the concerti since they came out on Lyrita back in the last century. On the whole he (Bennett) seems more adept on the larger canvasses...

FBerwald

Oooookaaaay... While Gareth looks for his "water pills"  ;D maybe someone with a non-chronic attachment to the score  :D [which I'm starting to believe exists!!!] can shed some light on the situation. 

John H White

I think Giles can enlighten us on that question, but it may not be safe for him to go public on it.

Gareth Vaughan

The score exists all right. It is just in the hands of someone who will not allow it to be copied (or even seen, I think!). I will refrain from expressing an opinion on this situation.

JollyRoger

Thanks for the fine list:
You may want to check here for samples and more solo works.
I wonder what is known of Genevieve op Post?
http://classical-music-online.net/en/composer/Bennett/2780

britishcomposer

I see that there is a recording of Bennett's Trio op. 26 listed at classical-music-online. Is this a commercial release? I would like to replace my faded broadcast recording.

petershott@btinternet.com

I had a real delight last night revisiting Bennett's Piano Sextet in F sharp minor (Pf, 2 Vn, Va, Vc and Contrabass, although in the Marco Polo recording the latter played by double bass).

What a marvellous work it is - right from the very first notes of the opening Allegro moderato ma con passione you know you're in for a treat, and if not a masterwork then at least one of very high calibre. The construction of that first movement causes real pleasure in hearing it unfold and is frequently dazzling in its brilliance. After the Quasi presto, a perfectly gorgeous third movement (Andante grazioso), and then a final movement Allegro assai ed energico hurtling towards its spirited conclusion. Terrific!

I'd also lay a wager that if I played the work to someone who hadn't heard it, and told them (trying to suppress a mischievous glint in the eye) that it was a recently discovered and previously unknown work by Mendelssohn then they would be taken in by the deception. I think Bennett's Sextet is that good.

Reflecting some more I came to the conclusion that one of the many sad things in the history of music is that Bennett wrote so few chamber works. Apart from the Cello Sonata of 1852 (also on the same Marco Polo disc), there is a very early String Quartet in G major (written when he was 15 and maybe not worth a recording?), and the Piano Trio of 1839 (which various texts often refer to as one of his most popular works - but again unrecorded I think). So along with the present Sextet that amounts to a mere four chamber works.

Apart from this Marco Polo disc (which is perfectly acceptable but recorded back in 1993) why the neglect? All four works would probably make up a most welcome 'twofer' and would be a splendid project for, for example, Hyperion or EM Records. (Hope they read this!)

And why "sad"? Well, from his very early days Bennett was clearly a major talent. The first D minor Pf Concerto was composed when he was 16, and it made an immediate impact with a Royal Command performance at Windsor following its first performance in London, and then a second London performance at which Mendelssohn himself was present and, by all accounts, hugely impressed by the work. Bennett then rubbed shoulders with Mendelssohn and Schumann in Leipzig for a considerable time. In this period there was every indication Bennett would develop into a quite major figure in the history of music.

However, for good or ill, when he returned to England an unceasing and relentless activity as a teacher, scholar, performer and administrator seemed to take over and block further composition throughout the middle period of his life. True, the contemporary musical world owed much to him. It seems he was a dedicated, supportive and gifted teacher, and he also turned the Royal Academy of Music on its head and enabled its future development. But, alas, no string quartets, or piano quintets, quartets or trios. Just think of the things Bennett might have written had things been different. Enormously sad, yes?

semloh

As I have just been listening to the Symphony No.5 in G minor after a long hiatus, I thought I'd pick up on this old thread about one of the very gifted UCs about whom we rarely speak.

As a belated reply to the last post, from Peter, yes sad that he died in his 50s and that he was so encumbered with work, but as I pointed out in a previous post he still managed an astonishing output, including 6 symphonies (the two G minor ones being excellent), and five/six piano concertos (we don't need to revisit that one!). The latter are on CD, but I think the symphonies are still hard to find.

If anyone is interested, I am happy to upload an mp3 of the Symphony No.5 in the old BBC radio performance by the Ulster Orchestra, conducted by Kenneth Alwyn. I believe this is a studio/concert performance rather than ex-LP. I recorded it directly from the BBC broadcast all those years ago, and now I see the same broadcast has popped up on YouTube.  ::)

giles.enders

There is also some good news for those that can wait.  2016 will be the bicentenary of his birth and there are positive indications of a festival around his music. Plans are already underway.

Dr Gradus

May I reopen this? I was googling for info on SB and thus came across this site which I had never seen before - very good to learn of its existence.

The OP speaks among the know works of his early overture The  Tempest, which is what I was searching for. I cannot as yet find any other reference to it. Does anyone know where it might be found?

Alan Howe

Welcome to UC. Has anyone any info on this piece?

eschiss1

not on whether it still exists, just that it seems to have...

kolaboy

I've read the book that Bennett's son (James Robert Sterndale Bennett) wrote about his father, and apparently WSB was every bit as prickly as Mendelssohn when it came to criticism...