Henry Charles Litolff 1818-1891

Started by giles.enders, Saturday 21 April 2012, 14:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareth Vaughan

All these opus numbers are missing from the work list given by Ted Blair in his 1968 Dissertation "Henry Charles Litolff (1818-1991): His Life and Piano Music". However, BL lists in its catalogue as Litolff's Op. 10: Grand Variations brilliant for the pianoforte on the favorite air, "Life's like an April Day", by Herold, Pub. T. Welsh, London, 1835.
That's the best I can do so far, I'm afraid.

giles.enders

Well that is something especially as it is an early work.  I just live in hope !

JimL

The lost Concerto Symphonique is probably in the grouping from 1-16 except for the numbers accounted for.  Op. 22 is the 2nd Concerto Symphonique, IIRC.

Gareth Vaughan

You are probably right about the 1st Concerto Symphonique, Jim.
Op. 22 is indeed the Concerto-Sinfonie No. 2, but it is not one of the numbers Giles is trying to locate.

Gareth Vaughan

I would be VERY interested to find the orchestral score or parts of the following concertante works for violin & orchestra by Litolff:

Op. 41 - Reve d'un captif
Op. 53 - Reve d'amour
Op. 91 - Serenade

I have only been able to find piano/violin scores so far. Any help would be gratefully received.

JimL

I'm astounded at the monumental bad luck it was that the only existing MS, plates (if any), and scores with parts of the Concerto Symphonique No. 1 would be in Litolff's Verlag when it got bombed.    >:(

eschiss1

Well, the war (and not only that war, but definitely that war) destroyed both people, industry, art (of all kinds) - so far as classical music alone is concerned (just the product, not at this moment speaking of the composers whose lives were of course often themselves blighted by the war) we also know that Algernon Ashton's music got it both at home (manuscripts destroyed in England) -and- in published versions (plates destroyed in Germany); Hans Fahrmann's music was decimated (many otherwise apparently mostly unpurchased works destroyed in the destruction of Otto Junne's publishing house); and - well, etc.

(On the flip side and more positively if a bit fliply, "World War II, while not, -primarily-, a musical, resulted in many memorable theatre songs." - paraphrasing, I think, a line from a Tom Lehrer revue.)

giles.enders

There is a rare chance to hear Henry Litolff's first piano trio in a concert at St.Pauls Church Knightsbridge, London on 21stNovember at 7pm.

Gareth Vaughan

Thank you very much, Giles, for bringing this concert to the attention of this forum. I give below further details:

ST LAZARUS CHAMBER CONCERT
St Paul's Church, Knightsbridge

A Concert in Aid of The St Lazarus Charitable Trust to raise money for the relief of Leprosy Sufferers throughout the world.

Thursday 21st November at 7.00pm

Includes a rare performance of the Piano Trio in D minor by the English-born composer, Henry Charles Litolff, who is mainly remembered today for the sparkling and light-hearted 'Scherzo' from his Concerto Symphonique No. 4, op. 102 for piano & orchestra (1852).

Programme
Ludwig van Beethoven: Variations on "Ich bin der Schneider Kakadu" in G Op. 121a (1803)
Henry Charles Litolff: Piano Trio No. 1 in D minor Op. 47 (ca. 1848)
Johannes Brahms: Piano Trio in B Op. 8 (1854/89)

Simon Callaghan – piano
Benjamin Roskams – violin
Ashok Klouda – cello

Steinway Artist Simon Callaghan performs internationally as a soloist and chamber musician. He has performed at all the UK's major concert halls, and his extensive repertoire has included complete cycles of Beethoven and Brahms chamber works.
In 2017 he released, to critical acclaim, his debut CD for Hyperion Records' "Romantic Piano Concerto" series: the first recordings of Roger Sacheverell Coke's piano concerti with the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra and Martyn Brabbins. As one half of The Parnassius Duo, with pianist Hiro Takenouchi, he has recorded, for the Lyrita label, works for two pianos by distinguished Victorians Percy Sherwood and Hubert Parry. Simon's first solo recording for Hyperion, world premières of piano works by Jean Louis Nicodé (1853-1919), was released this year. Website: https://www.simoncallaghan.com/

Benjamin Roskams currently holds the position of 1st violin with the BBC Symphony Orchestra. In addition, Benjamin has led the Dutch National Ballet as well as acting as guest deputy concertmaster of the Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra and Holland Symfonia. In the UK he works regularly with the LSO, LPO and Philharmonia Orchestra. He began playing the violin at the age of nine in Cardiff where he studied with Harry Cawood before winning a scholarship at the Royal Academy of Music, later continuing at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama, and at the Amsterdam Conservatoire. He now seeks inspiration from Ivry Gitlis in Paris. Benjamin has collaborated with leading artists such as the Brodsky Quartet, Ivry Gitlis, Emanuel Hurwitz, Mats Lidstrom, Alexander Baillie, Priya Mitchell, David Cohen and Thomas Carroll. Benjamin plays a c.1720 Joseph filius Andrea Guarneri violin generously loaned by Albert Cooper's family.

Cellist Ashok Klouda made his solo Wigmore Hall debut in 2010 as a result of winning the Worshipful Company of Musicians/Concordia Foundation Young Artists Fund award. He has won many other awards and prizes, including 1st prize in the 2006 J. & A. Beare Solo Bach Competition, the 2007 Royal College of Music Cello Competition and the 2009 Tunnell Trust concert scheme.
Since 2010, Ashok has been on the Advisory Board for The London Cello Society.
He has performed many times on BBC Radio 3 and recorded for the Nimbus Alliance label with the Barbirolli Quartet and for Champs Hill Records as a member of the Artea Quartet. In 2016, Ashok was made an Associate of the Royal Academy of Music.

Tickets: £15; £25 & £60 (includes buffet supper afterwards – limited number)

Tickets may be purchased through Jonathan Prichard
Phone 01273 202497 or email: jonathan.prichard@btinternet.com

or online at the parish website: https://www.spkb.org/lazarusconcert-nov19/

Christopher

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Friday 11 October 2019, 13:41

Includes a rare performance of the Piano Trio in D minor by the English-born composer, Henry Charles Litolff...

Born in London to a Scottish mother....what does that make him?  :)

Alan Howe

giles.enders

It makes him English.  His father sired 18 children. Henry had seven siblings from the same two parents, four marriages and eight children.  It was me that was confused doing the research.

Alan Howe