News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Langgaard at the Proms

Started by eschiss1, Friday 27 April 2012, 03:18

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

I notice that Rued Langgaard's brief symphony no.11 "Ixion" is scheduled for Prom 19 on July 28 (apparently its UK premiere- neat...)

(Thomas Dausgaard, who has recorded the work for Dacapo, conducting the BBC Symphony. It's probably a little longer than 5 minutes - 6 to 9, I would guess, based on the two performances I've heard, or maybe 6 to 8 :) It is a brief symphony though, and an odd one - I like it though... )

Steve B

Thats good , Echiss; my favourite Langgaard"Symphony" is really a Piano Concerto, La melodia, written in very Romantic era style, with an (optional) chorus at end; in the version with the chorus(?Dausgard?), when the chorus joins in there are very striking and overwhelmimgly moving chromatic harmonic shifts; the symphony/concerto is melodically memorable throoughout, tho do not expect the advanced idiom Langgaard of the later symphonies. It is one of my favourite "piano concerti":)Anyone else like this work?Steve

dhibbard

YEs... I recently picked up the box set of the complete symphonies on the Dacapo label and very much enjoying this Symphony  Piano Concerto of Langgaard.