News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

A Moszkowski Symphony?

Started by eschiss1, Tuesday 29 May 2012, 11:02

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

I'm sure this is news only to me, but Assenov in this PDF worklist for Moszkowski, on pages 359-360, describes a sizable 1873 D minor symphony by Moszkowski in manuscript. (The next pages are devoted to the B minor concerto. Not sure when this dissertation was written- will try to find out in a bit, when my computer is less jammed.) If I am reading the German right, it looks like the work is complete - which doesn't mean that the symphony score is readable. Does anyone know the situation with this piece? ...

Mark Thomas

Didn't he write a Symphony on Joan of Arc, or is that a different piece?

eschiss1

Well, Joan of Arc/ Johanna etc./ -- op.19 is a 4-movement symphonic poem written around 1875 and published a few years later by Hainauer of Breslau; what I see listed from 1872-3 mentioned in the same PDF (pp 359-60), unpublished, is a 4-movement (hrm... the cover as he describes it says D-moll, the tempo indications he gives say Maestoso in C-major, Scherzo in F major, Larghetto in B-flat major, Finale Presto non tanto C major... typo somewhere or other? ... probably the first and last movements are wrong, since the inner movements are normal for a D minor symphony...) - symphony.

Mark Thomas

No, from the PDF it's quite clearly a totally different work.

Gareth Vaughan

Well, a MS score of 168 pages appears to be in the Bibliotheque Nationale. I can't make out whether it is complete or not.

Alan Howe

The PDF document lists the Symphony as having 168 pages. Very interesting, surely?

Gareth Vaughan

And gives the ref. BnF (Bibliotheque Nationale de France).

Alan Howe

Aha! Can a copy be ordered, Gareth?

jerfilm

50's Grove sez there is a symphony...... 1980 Grove omits it.....

J

JimL

I believe the term is "hiding in plain sight".  :)

Gareth Vaughan

I've never ordered from the BnF, but I'm sure it's possible. Might be expensive.

Alan Howe

Right - thanks, Gareth. Wonder if anyone's got hold of it...?

thalbergmad

The Bnf are not so straightforward as others libraries from what I have heard from others. They respond best to personal visits and have been known to be a little obstructive.

I know someone who goes in there from time to time so I will ask him. I would try myself, but my silly French accent would probably get me thrown out.

Thal

Gareth Vaughan

Not surprising - they are, after all, French. I love France and the French but they are not famed for their helpfulness to les Anglais, especially to those of us whose French is less than fluent. And French bureaucrats... well, what can I say...?

JimL

Do the initials DKW mean anything to you?  Perhaps Cameo can come to the rescue.