Svend-Erik Tarp(1908-94): a Catalogue of the Orchestral Music

Started by Dundonnell, Friday 01 June 2012, 01:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

I am afraid that despite my best efforts in trawling through several Danish sources I found that Tarp is the least well-served of the prominent Danish composers in terms of anything even approaching a work list. The following is therefore necessarily incomplete :(

SVEND-ERIK TARP: A CATALOGUE OF THE ORCHESTRAL MUSIC

1932:   Concertino for Violin and Orchestra, op.13: 12 minutes
1933:   Suite on Old Danish Folk Songs for orchestra: 12 minutes
1938:   Concertino for Flute and Orchestra, op.30
             Te Deum for chorus and orchestra, op.33: 20 minutes   +  (Dacapo cd)
             "Mosaic"-Miniature Suite for orchestra, op.35: 9 minutes  +  (Danacord cd)
1940:   Comedy Overture: 6 minutes
1942/44:Ballet "Den Detroniserede dyretaemmer"
1944:   Piano Concerto, op.39: 18 minutes    + (Danacord and Dacapo cds)
1945:   Symphony No.1 "Sinfonia Divertante" in E flat major: 28 minutes    *
             "Pro Defunctis" for orchestra: 4 minutes
1949:   Symphony No.2, op.50: 20 minutes    *
             "The Battle of Jericho" for orchestra, op.51: 4 minutes    + (Dacapo cd)
             Comedy Overture No.2 "Ouverture til mit dukketeater" , op.53
1959:   Lyric Suite for orchestra, op.64: 16 minutes
             Symphony No.3 "Sinfonia quasi una fantasia", op.66: 23 minutes    *
1960:   Ballet "Skyggen"
1969:   Little Festival Overture, op.75: 12 minutes
1975:   Symphony No.4, op. 77
1977:   Symphony No.5, op.78: 24 minutes    *
             Symphony No.6, op.80: 27 minutes    *
1978:   Symphony No.7 "Galaxy", op.81: 23 minutes   +  (Dacapo cd)
1989:   Symphony No.8 for girls' chorus and orchestra, op.88: 52 minutes
1991:   Symphony No.9
1992:   Symphony No.10 "Tegn og Underlige Geninger", op.91: 25 minutes

and

Burlesque Overture for chamber orchestra: 4 minutes
Preludio Patetico-Preludio Festivo for oprchestra: 6 minutes

eschiss1

I think the Danish Folktone Suite (Dansk Folketone) may be primarily for strings, from a catalog entry (though the version Hansen lists is only for band, no strings, I see, and has a different title,Suite over Folkevisemotiver , besides. Different work maybe). DKB also lists a 1929 manuscript serenade for strings and woodwinds and

a couple of other manuscripts that may or may not have been meant for orchestra and may have orchestral form- they list them under piano 4hand manuscripts- going to have to check further, actually- hrm.
*1925 "Ouverture i gammel Stil. Op. 10". Hrm. ... maybe not an orchestral work though...

But I wonder what his "Vikagarður : stemningsbilleder fra Færøerne: for orkester" (with Emil Reesen ?) is. Published by Hansen in 1948... found at Worldcat, and Hansen do seem to have it for sale at their webshop...

There's another ballet, Skyggen, op.40 (or that's the suite?). Probably the suite was published around the same time as that of the ballet Den Detroniserede dyretæmmer, whose suite (or whole ballet?) is op.38. Ah, you've got it (except for the opus number which probably only applies to the suite anyways.)
(One movement of op.17 - the Suite on Old Danish Folk Songs - is on a Danacord CD conducted by Thomas Jensen, btw. :) )

(And one opera I'm aware of, though that's probably not part of this list- "9.90", burlesque opera in one act.)

eschiss1

Also: Northwestern University (in the US) has some more manuscripts of his, including his Kalkmalerier for orchestra (ca.1954?), and a score of his first (op.36) Lystspilouverture (pub.1943).

britishcomposer

According to the outro of the broadcast in our archive Symphony No. 6 is his Opus 80:)