Vasilii Zolotarev (1872-1964), A Catalog of the Orchestral Music

Started by eschiss1, Friday 08 June 2012, 19:11

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

"Diamond geezer"- a bit like what Diamondhead from Marvel Comics will  ... never mind, I wonder if I should ask...

ChrisDevonshireEllis

More "Del Boy" from the British sitcom "Only Fools & Horses" actually, but never mind. We digress, but here's a quick taste:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN5FBwptO1w
The guy "Trigger" is Catherine Zeta Jones' father incidentally. - Chris

Alan Howe

Amazing how people admit to digressing - and then digress even further. The mod'rator's lot is not a nappy one...

ChrisDevonshireEllis

Indeed. But I bet Del Boy could sing that. Out of tune, but he'd know most of the words. G&S is ingrained in the British working class. Opera for the proliteriat, as Freddie Mercury would have us believe of "Bohemian Rhapsody". 

eschiss1

Anyone  know when his first symphony was performed, if ever? It looks interesting to me in that full score up at IMSLP.

Christopher

Quote from: eschiss1 on Thursday 11 April 2013, 16:17
Anyone  know when his first symphony was performed, if ever? It looks interesting to me in that full score up at IMSLP.

Freddie Mercury wrote a symphony?  Wow!

eschiss1

*point point points to the subject of the thread. or retread.*

Christopher

Interesting factoid, might help in locating the recordings of his works which apparently HAVE been made:

According to this website - http://sokomso.ru/members/zolotarev-vasilij-andreevich - Zolotarev's real surname was Kuyumzhi...

Золотарев Василий Андреевич, композитор [1870-1964]
Настоящая фамилия Куюмжи. Родился 24 февраля (7 марта) 1870 г. (по официальным документам 1873 г.) в Таганроге. В 1949 г. В.А. Золотарев был удостоен почетного звания Народный артист Белорусской ССР. В следующем году он получил Государственную премию СССР за балет «Князь-озеро». Награжден орденом Ленина, орденом Трудового Красного Знамени и медалями.

eschiss1

btw, his Op.4 Village festival overture was performed at the BBC Proms on 2 October 1917...