Hermann Suter (1870-1926): a Catalogue of the Orchestral Music

Started by Dundonnell, Saturday 23 June 2012, 00:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

HERMANN SUTER: A CATALOGUE OF THE ORCHESTRAL MUSIC

1910:   Cantata "Die erste Walpurgisnacht"
1914:   Symphony in D minor, op.17: 44 minutes     +  (Sterling cd)
1921:   Violin Concerto in A major, op.23: 29 minutes   +  (MGB cd)
1923:   Oratorio "Le Laudi di San Francesco di Assisi" for soprano, contralto, tenor, bass, chorus, organ and orchestra, op.25   *  + (MGB cd)

eschiss1

also partsongs (3 Festlieder) for male chorus and piano (and/or?) orchestra (or a cappella) opus 14 :) (the autograph(?) vocal score of no.3 at  Einsiedeln listed in RISM mentions all 3 and gives instrumentation for the orchestra. I think the orchestration originates with Suter.)

Gareth Vaughan

Has anyone on this forum got a recording of Suter's Violin Concerto they would be prepared to share with me, please?

Gareth Vaughan

Gareth Vaughan

Thanks, Adriano - useful, but some op. numbers are missing, including the op. 14 songs mentioned above by Eric, so not quite complete.

adriano

You are right. Unfortunately, the two-volume Suter Biography I had in my library, is already "resting" in my pre-estate collection at the Zurich Zentralbibiothek. In that book, the list was complete.
Just last week, they came by to take 12 boxes of books and scores which I have decided not to keep anymore in my flat... Still, quite a nice bunch of such materials are still here with me - for my Desert Island...

Alan Howe

The Suter VC would have made a much better coupling for the Schoeck VC in Hyperion's RVC series.

mjkFendrich

QuoteThe Suter VC would have made a much better coupling for the Schoeck VC in Hyperion's RVC series.

...  that have been my thoughts too! I would really like to hear this work - one of my absolute favourite VCs - played by Chloe Hanslip!
It is also a pity that Daniel Hope's performance together with Botstein has never been released as a recording.

Rainolf

The manuscript scores of the Symphony and "Die erste Walpurgisnacht" were digitalized by the University Library of Basel and can be viewed here:

http://www.e-manuscripta.ch/bau/content/titleinfo/1109815

http://www.e-manuscripta.ch/bau/content/titleinfo/1109588?lang=de

eschiss1

I didn't know that any of Basel's manuscripts could be viewed online from any source. Thanks.

eschiss1

Also, thanks for the link to the site, which I see also has correspondence, works by Friedrich Hegar, (guessing Hans Huber too), etc. ...

Will  be spending some time having a good look around there later!!...

sdtom

Tell me about the d minor symphony if you've listened to it. Adriano?

Alan Howe