Some more movement and tempo headers

Started by eschiss1, Thursday 28 June 2012, 19:09

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Finally and belatedly got over to the university library today and pulled some items off the shelves.  Can answer a few questions, would rather do so in one post rather than divide them out into several (though will do that instead if had rather.)

Bar numberings, etc. are according to score when available- I did not stop to count from first bar to last, just from perhaps "bar 325" when noted to a double bar :) When internal tempi are given (Allegro - Andante) they are generally highlights, but almost never complete descriptions of the entire movement (except by chance.)

1) Johann Nepomuk David Symphony 8 Op.59 (1964/65, (c) 1966. From Breitkopf miniature score.)
I. Allegro. (329 bars.)
II. Largo (page 31) (68 bars.)
III. Allegro  (quarter note=176-184)  - Andante(page 37) (438 bars - just this movement ; the whole work totals over 800.)

2) David Leo Diamond Symphony 7 (1959, premiered 1-26-1962 by Eugene Ormandy/Philadelphia Orchestra, published 1963.  Dedicated to Ciro Cuomo.)
I. Andante (quarter=76) - Un po' più mosso (quarter=88) - Allegro, ma non troppo (quarter=96). (173 bars.)
II. Andante (quarter=72-76) (101 bars.)
III. Allegro moderato (quarter=126) (228 bars.) (Ah, I see we already have most of this information- I should have checked more closely :) )

3) Emil Hartmann symphony 3 in D (source here: piano 4-hand arrangement by the composer, in the Samfundet til Udgivelse af Dansk Musik - Society for the Publication of Danish Music - series.)
I. Allegro.
II. Aftensang (Abendlied): Andante con moto in B-flat major.
III. Minuetto: Moderato in G minor.
IV. Finale: Allegro.

4) Rosenberg symphony 8 (second version of 1980.)
In one movement? (may have missed something.)
Andante moderato (quarter=76) - Poco più mosso (quarter=90) - Allegretto (quarter=120) - Allegro (dotted quarter=120) - etc.

5) Svend Erik Tarp symphony no.3 op.66 Dedicated Til (to) Aase (copyright 1969).
Also in one movement.
Andante con moto (quarter=66) - Più vivo (bar 32. quarter=112) - Andante funebre (quarter=ca.84) (bar 185) - quarter=60 - Meno mosso (quarter=ca.54) (bar 353) - Andante (bar 491) - End (Bar 535) (ends in C major, low Cs pizz.?) (Again, those were what seemed to be among the major tempo changes, not the only ones.)

Mark Thomas

Thanks for the Hartmann #3 movements, Eric. Great job.

eschiss1

Happy to, sorry about the delay. Will try to add a few works to the list (A. Alexandrov Symphony 1, Bacewicz cello concerto 1, some other things) next I'm at the library, if I can; I've seen those works there and just have to locate them again :)

eschiss1

I think I was mistaken about Alexandrov 1 - the library has his Symphony 2 in B-flat Op.109 in full score, but I don't see No.1 in the catalog.
Anyhow, went on another crawl (:) ) today. Found the following (removing most diacritics in a hurry, might put some back in later)  Bar numbers are from score and assume accurate counting by the publisher/composer (in case of ms).

1. Bacewicz cello concerto no.1 (premiered 9-21-1951 by the dedicatee, Milos Sadlo, cello, Witold Krzemienski conducting the Warsaw Philharmonic Symphony Orchestra)
(i) Allegro non troppo (quarter=100) (D minor)
(ii) Andante tranquillo (quarter=60) (in G)
(iii) Allegro giocoso (ends in E minor)

2. Johann Nepomuk David Symphony (no.1) in A minor Op.18 (no, we don't have this uploaded yet. For completeness...)
1937, published the same year. Dedicated to his wife.
(i) Allegro moderato (sempre leggiero) (356 bars)
(ii) Andante sostenuto (108 bars)
(iii) Allegro assai (108 bars)
(iv) Allegro con brio (332 bars)

3. Johann Nepomuk David Symphony No.2 (1938, published 1939) Op.20 (dedicated to Hermann Abendroth)
(i) Adagio (minim=52) - Allegro impetuoso (quarter=144) (E major? 349 bars)
(ii) Largo e cantabile (quarter=44. E minor? 98 bars)
(iii) Scherzo. Allegro (dotted minim = 56-60) (C major. 352 bars)
(iv) Andante - Allegretto (quarter=60-69. 249 bars)

4. Peter Racine Fricker. Symphony No.3 Op.36. (for the London Philharmonic Orchestra.)
(i) Allegro furioso
(ii) Lento
(iii) Scherzo: Molto Allegro - Quasi Andante, ma con moto - Tempo Imo
(iv) Maestoso - Allegro appassionato

5. Iurii Levitin. String Quartet No.12 Op.86.
Published in 1980 with Quartet No.11 in C.
(i) Recitative. Moderato (quarter=72) (G major) - attacca
(ii) Invention. Allegretto (dotted minim=56) (G minor)
(iii) Toccata. Allegro molto (quarter=112) (C-sharp minor)
(iv) Postlude. Largo (quarter=66) (G major, ends on a high E)

6. Robin Orr. Symphony No.2 1970
In one movement. Begins
Allegro (quarter=c.108) - Moderato at rehearsal 17 (quarter=c.84) - Andante (quarter=c.60) con molto espress. (rehearsal 18) ...

7. Robert Ward. Symphony 3. (premiered 3-31-1950)
I. Adagio (quarter=48) - Allegro (quarter=116)
II. Arioso. Adagio (quarter=50)
III. Rondo. Allegro (dotted quarter=92)

8. Robert Ward. Symphony 4.
I. Adagio (quarter=72) - Allegro (quarter=152)
II. Grave (quarter=56)
III. Vivo (minim=80)

Hrm- that's all I got today anyway...

Alan Howe

eschiss1

Thank you :)
(Hrm. I run across someone's- don't know whose- old usenet post about the Bacewicz first cello concerto and Milos Sadlo- I should add that the author of that post, whoever it was, was right, it was indeed dedicated to as well as premiered by that cellist (1912-2003), it says so on the score.) Most of the info about JN David's symphony 2 (except for the tempo of the Scherzo and some other things) can be heard in the broadcast, I'd forgotten- hopefully the rest is less redundant though!