Vinyl to MP3 Turntables

Started by phoenixmusic1, Saturday 04 August 2012, 09:33

Previous topic - Next topic

phoenixmusic1

Hi,

Apologies if this post is inappropriate for this forum.

I'm looking to buy a USB turntable that will convert vinyl records to a digital format. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a device? I don't really want to spend too much on it though. Maplin do one for £50 but I saw some reviews which said that it had damaged their LPs!

Thanks,

Peter.

MikeW

If you already have a turntable or access to one, then I think it's better to simply plug in to your amplifier with an RCA-to-USB  adaptor or similar (or simply RCA-RCA using your computer's audio inputs if it has them.) It's a far more flexible option too that can be used on cassettes, video tapes etc. 

You'll get far less distortion than using an el-cheapo turntable & stylus.

There's a wealth of suggestions and instructional videos on the web.

jerfilm

My wife was going to get me a Crosley for Christmas but the reviews were so divided between excellent and junk that she deferred.

Does anyone know, can you use one of the old magnetic cartridges, such as the GE, and plug it into your computer without some sort of preamp to boost it's tiny output? 

Jerry

sdtom

I find most of them to be less than. I have a unit that allows me to record lp's to a memory stick. It will also do cassettes or record a broadcast from FM
Tom :)